Dog depression

topcabron

I have had my shiba Inu for 1.5 years and the other day he got out of the yard and went for a little alone time.

He got

Lost and two days later I found him(luckily in the care of fellow dog lovers).

I took him home and since then(two days) he has been sleeping a lot and eating very little.

He seems down in the dumps. He usually has plenty of energy. I walk him at night and he seems fine but tired.

My question is, do dogs feel depressed at times? I try and make his life interesting by going to the beach and changing his toys.

Any advise will be great

Thank you in advance

post-9296-1460460875_thumb.jpg

Not sure if dogs get depressed at times, seems possible. Maybe put him in a doggy day care a couple of times during the day. We did that with our dogs because we had to go away for two days...they LOVED it.

Not sure if dogs get depressed at times, seems possible. Maybe put him in a doggy day care a couple of times during the day. We did that with our dogs because we had to go away for two days...they LOVED it.

Yes he loves it too

Good suggestion

Did whoever found him feed him anything specific? I think my dog has certain food sensitivities and when he eats something that doesn't agree with him, he can get like that. If it doesn't pass after a few days, probably best to see a vet.

Idnbe more concerned that he might be sick. Dogs seem pretty consistent in mood when the owner is around and nothing else is the same. Poor appetitive is a signal that something else might be going on. Did you take him to the vet?

They said that he ate but not a lot.

Also it's getting hot here.

If he doesn't shake this and he is not back to his Sprite happy self I will take him to the vet.

This event for him, I thought , was traumatic as he has never been lost before.

I think this affected him

Definitely not normal, I give them a few days, are you anywhere near where he could get lymes disease. That would definitely make the animal groggy for a few weeks.

Definitely not normal, I give them a few days, are you anywhere near where he could get lymes disease. That would definitely make the animal groggy for a few weeks.

Could be

I'll take him

I would definitely take him to the vet. He could have possibly eaten something while he was out. Glad you found him though!

Check the pads of his feet. My dog had something like that once and it turned out he got bit by a spider or baby snake and had a sore on the side of one of his pads. It was very hard to see without digging in and moving it around a little bit. Took him to vet, got blood panel done, antibiotics and some Rimadyl and was good as new.

My dog ran away when he was 5-7 years old and got lost for half a week. When he came home (found his own way) never the same again, much more mellow, wouldn't leave anyone's side when outside of the house, wouldn't leave the yard at all by himself, etc.

Please post up what you learn. I hope he is okay, and very happy that some nice people took care of him until you got him back home.

Very traumatic for everyone.

Please post up what you learn. I hope he is okay, and very happy that some nice people took care of him until you got him back home.

Very traumatic for everyone.

thats for sure

well I have a 8 month old Westy, we left him for 8 days in doggie day care.When he got back he was not the same for a few days. My friend told us overtime he leaves his bull dog in day care its the same thing , he flat out Ignores and FEELS like you abandoned him.

Its a dogs way of being upset , thinking you dumped him. Give him a week he will be good. My dog would not look at me for a week. LOL

Could be depression, but I'd say a vet visit is in order too because it's more probable that it's physical since lethargy is a predominant symptom for so many health issues in dogs (and cats).

Went to the vet yesterday lean bill of health and lab work was clean.

He is a lot better today so I'm guessing he had a traumatic experience that he is over

Went to the vet yesterday lean bill of health and lab work was clean.

He is a lot better today so I'm guessing he had a traumatic experience that he is over

Glad he's okay!