What tires are you guys running?

RobberBaron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good now lol! :icon_mrgreen: (Don't mind the car not being the Murcie. She is tucked away for the winter)

80-img_6691_ae92501b27c05559b1169bd17154

:icon_mrgreen:

How does the tile hold up under jackstands and actual use beyond just driving/parking on it? Porcelain I assume?

:icon_mrgreen:

How does the tile hold up under jackstands and actual use beyond just driving/parking on it? Porcelain I assume?

I haven't used jack stands on it, so I can't give you an educated opinion there. I use a lift, and it hasn't had any problems with that.

I had the OEM P zero's on my 04 and I have michelins on my '08, as installed by the first owner. Both tires are fine and both are near impossible to get. No front diff explosion yet with the michelins. If you do the math the ratio stays essentially the same.

I had the OEM P zero's on my 04 and I have michelins on my '08, as installed by the first owner. Both tires are fine and both are near impossible to get. No front diff explosion yet with the michelins. If you do the math the ratio stays essentially the same.

I don't want to run the risk of front diff damage but I also don't want to replace almost brand new tires... does the same tire size issue impact he LP front diffs as it does with Pre LP's?

I don't want to run the risk of front diff damage but I also don't want to replace almost brand new tires... does the same tire size issue impact he LP front diffs as it does with Pre LP's?

Yes.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes.

Just asking for my own knowledge, but will driving with traction off alleviate any front diff breakdown or does the tire size deviation from stock kill it anyway. I'm 2wd so doesn't effect me either way as you know but curious if that's what killed my diff. I ALWAYS drive with traction off for the record. Always have, always will...

Just asking for my own knowledge, but will driving with traction off alleviate any front diff breakdown or does the tire size deviation from stock kill it anyway. I'm 2wd so doesn't effect me either way as you know but curious if that's what killed my diff. I ALWAYS drive with traction off for the record. Always have, always will...

No it doesn't, the different tire size changes the mechanical speed of the front diff and overheats it. All that happens when you turn TCS off in the Murci is stop the ECU from cutting of the engine when wheel slip occurs.

Had a very long conversation with a Lambo tech/engineer about the front diff, and tire sizes, manufacturers, etc.

He pointed out there are multiple things to consider, including the deflection that occurs to the tire at speed, under load. It's one thing to compare static sizes and rolling radii. But under typical loads - different tires deflect in different ways.

He claimed this can affect the front diff. I don't completely understand this deflection issue and how the shape of the tire deflecting would change the ratio - but he was insistent that staying with OEM tires was critical to the life of the front diff (this was related to our LP560 but I think applies to Murci too).

There are plenty of people having success with Michelins or other tires, and I guess ultimately you just don't know if you're creating a problem until you have a problem.

He claimed this can affect the front diff. I don't completely understand this deflection issue and how the shape of the tire deflecting would change the ratio - but he was insistent that staying with OEM tires was critical to the life of the front diff (this was related to our LP560 but I think applies to Murci too).

I am not an engineer but consider the working principles of a CVT transmission: that in a cone shape hub, the revolution ratio will be different depending on what part of the cone surface the belt is at hence the different speeds. When the tire deflects or distorts, the sidewalls would no longer be in symmetry so the geometry will vary between the inner tire and the outer tire or even the inner sidewall and the outer sidewall of the same tire resulting in a rolling "cone" shape and hence the change in ratio. The Murci is notorious on the correct size of the wheels and tires.

Just for the sake of intelligent argument, do any of you actually know anybody that has destroyed a differential by running stock size tires of a different brand? Like actually KNOW somebody?

I ask this because the actual size difference between brands is as much a difference as a pirelli set that is improperly inflated or if you replace only a pair at a time resulting in a smaller diameter due to tread wear for example.

I've looked at the other threads on acceptable tolerances when running 18/19, and 19/20 wheel set ups and they vary a lot more than running a Michelin vs pirelli in OEM sizes.

I guess with so many people running other brand tires, aftermarket wheels, etc, I would expect that several verified stories of differential failure. So ask, who knows that guy?

two people: one car on aftermarket wheels had the front diff literally explode on a road trip while I was on the phone with him and I ended up with a set of PS2's because the diff temp warning light on another car went off.

It's not just a single tire size being different, but both front and rear falling within the proper threshold.

Threshold is 1.16" to 1.43" difference in size. Here is a good example of a tire paring that works together, but can't be mis-matched:

Pzero Rosso - rear 26.1" / front 24.8" = 1.3" difference

Pzero Corsa - rear 25.9" front 24.5" = 1.4" difference

Might be able to get away with a Corsa front and Rosso rear, which have a 1.1" difference.

two people: one car on aftermarket wheels had the front diff literally explode on a road trip while I was on the phone with him and I ended up with a set of PS2's because the diff temp warning light on another car went off.

It's not just a single tire size being different, but both front and rear falling within the proper threshold.

Threshold is 1.16" to 1.43" difference in size. Here is a good example of a tire paring that works together, but can't be mis-matched:

Pzero Rosso - rear 26.1" / front 24.8" = 1.3" difference

Pzero Corsa - rear 25.9" front 24.5" = 1.4" difference

Might be able to get away with a Corsa front and Rosso rear, which have a 1.1" difference.

I guess I now have an almost new set of Michelins for sale

Here are dimensions for PS2 - rear 25.9" / front 24.8" = 1.1.

Maybe you could get away with them, there would be even more likelihood of them being okay if you adjusted tire pressure to make that 1.1 variance bigger (inflate rear and deflate front.)

Otherwise sell the full set to a 2WD owner or list the rears on eBay and Viper owners will jump at them.

Whiteout, thanks for the info. (Your coils arrive today BTW). So I'm racking my head over the tires over here. With a .06 inch difference in the acceptable threshold am I really in danger? You stated that somebody had a high temp with OEM tire size Michelins, correct?

I need to confirm that it is worth the mission to obtain the Pirellis, so far every major site and rep says no availability to Rosso or Corsas rears with no estimated date. The fronts are available at several places, but rears are a huge issue. I actually have a single brand new Rosso rear so I only need one. BTW, my Michelins are like new

I really don't want to go RWD.

Also, I have to ask myself how many guys out there with incorrectly inflated or uneven wear Pirelli tires are actually inadvertently running outside of the specs without incident. Although they may be just rolling the dice.

Make no mistake, if somebody had a Pirelli to sell me right now I would buy it. I had Tire Rack place me on their waiting list just in case.

Having had 3 Murcielago's including one without the front differential, the experience is night-and-day better without it. Yes, there is some safety concerns if you are a very aggressive driver. But these cars and meant to have fun in - and you can't compare 2wd with Awd.

Props to Nick (Whiteout) for all that he contributes here - especially regarding the Murcielago. Listen to him.

Oh - PIRELLI all the way on these cars. This comes from a Michelin fan.

Whiteout, thanks for the info. (Your coils arrive today BTW). So I'm racking my head over the tires over here. With a .06 inch difference in the acceptable threshold am I really in danger? You stated that somebody had a high temp with OEM tire size Michelins, correct?

I need to confirm that it is worth the mission to obtain the Pirellis, so far every major site and rep says no availability to Rosso or Corsas rears with no estimated date. The fronts are available at several places, but rears are a huge issue. I actually have a single brand new Rosso rear so I only need one. BTW, my Michelins are like new

Also, I have to ask myself how many guys out there with incorrectly inflated or uneven wear Pirelli tires are actually inadvertently running outside of the specs without incident. Although they may be just rolling the dice.

Make no mistake, if somebody had a Pirelli to sell me right now I would buy it. I had Tire Rack place me on their waiting list just in case.

Someone had a high temp warning light with PS2 and I ended up purchasing his PS2's. If you already have the tires mounted, I would drive it and if the temp sensor triggers, get new tires and if they don't, then you're good. But I think as the tires get older your problem will get worse since the Murci eats through rear tires much more quickly than fronts.

I think Pirelli is less likely to have a variance since it's a runflat (stiffer sidewall.) I have not heard, or seeen, anyone running into differential temp issues on Rossos. I haven't been around enough Corsas to know if anyone has had an issue.

Keep asking around at tire shops and dealers to see if anyone has something in stock.

Glad to hear the coils are arriving today.

Having had 3 Murcielago's including one without the front differential, the experience is night-and-day better without it. Yes, there is some safety concerns if you are a very aggressive driver. But these cars and meant to have fun in - and you can't compare 2wd with Awd.

Props to Nick (Whiteout) for all that he contributes here - especially regarding the Murcielago. Listen to him.

Oh - PIRELLI all the way on these cars. This comes from a Michelin fan.

Thanks!

I think Pirelli is less likely to have a variance since it's a runflat (stiffer sidewall.)

What, what what? Where did you see it says the Pirelli P Zero Corsas and/or the P Zero Rossos are run flats??

Hello everyone

I'm also due for a new set of tires on my 04 Murcielago.

What about running the Rossos in the front 24.8" and the nitto NT555R 335/30ZR18 which is 26.06. This will put us at 1.26 difference.

Will that be ok?

Thanks in advance.

I misread, they are not.

Thank goodness. I hate run flats, and every car I have ever owned with run flats, I have switched to regular tires.

Food for Thought.

While I know a bunch of you like the poser look of bigger wheels (lol that gonna start a flame war?), the reality is, these cars like sidewalls.

My oem 18 setup, rode better then my 19/20 setup, and while sure the 19/20 looked better, it wasnt a better handling/riding setup.

So with that said, I have ordered a set of wheels in the following sizes, and the following tires:

Monoblock forged:

18 front: 9.5 wide (1 inch wider then stock)

19 rear: 13 wide (because 18 rear doesnt have the tire size I want)

The following tires will work in 2WD mode:

265/35/18 R888

345/30/19 R888

These give the most sidewall and clearances for the Murci setup with currently available tires.

Thanks,

Jon

Guys - have to say this. It's fat city right now on Pirelli tires. BOTH the Rosso's AND the Corsa's are currently in-stock at Tire Rack. I can remember LONG periods without either, let alone both. Anyone keeping a Murcielago that has factory-sized 18" wheels needs to buy a set of either right now. This won't last - trust me. I'm in the tire business.

Interested in an investment? Buy one or two sets and store them in a cool dry place. When the drought hits again - you can double your money.