10 police officers shot by snipers at BLM protest

Roman

Being here in Dallas I was casually watching the news which was showing the protest live and all the sudden you heard the shots and everyone running, pretty crazy.

"He was upset about the recent police shootings"

"Upset at white people"

"Wanted to kill white people, especially white officers"

Nuts!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we seen anything linking the shooting to the movement yet? So far it seems much more like a target of opportunity then a disgruntled protestor. Yes the shooting of only LEOs starts to indicate a connection but I would like to be sure before we point fingers.

There have been a report from a couple news sources, and NO I'm not saying its accurate, I'm not vouching for anything, that a black power movement has claimed this as theirs and said more will come on a FB page that has since been deleted. You can find these reports if you search.

However, the suspect they were talking to before he was killed said he was acting alone... so I don't think there's much to know at this point.

Police have identified the dead suspect by name, so if anyone wants to find that out go for it. I don't feel like mentioning the scumbag's name. NBC DFW has it. Police are searching his house.

To me this seemed planned for some time but waited for a desired moment to carry out. Perfect for a protest where police will be out in numbers only expecting to see people marching through the streets peacefully.

Extremely sad and maddening. I was watching the news and they were interviewing someone who was a protestor and she said that the police were very polite and nobody was causing any trouble. The police immediately ran towards the shots and helped protect the crowd.

I saw a few pictures of the purported suspect. In them he's wearing US Army standard fatigues with beret, another US Army formal dress attire. If this is correct then former or active duty military training can definitely be attributed to his tactics and movement with weapons as shown in the videos.

I saw a few pictures of the purported suspect. In them he's wearing US Army standard fatigues with beret, another US Army formal dress attire. If this is correct then former or active duty military training can definitely be attributed to his tactics and movement with weapons as shown in the videos.

He had served in the US Army reserves, CNN is reporting.

It's completely fucked up, RIP to the victims and their families. Hopefully the wounded will make full recoveries.

Honestly I surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner.

This guy ?

https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/7512627...4575488/photo/1

Apparently he is no longer a suspect.. However , how fukcing stupid are you to carry an AR and dress in camo while attending a "peaceful" protest?

Guy is very lucky the cops didn't take him out and ask questions later

This guy ?

Apparently he is no longer a suspect.. However , how fukcing stupid are you to carry an AR and dress in camo while attending a "peaceful" protest?

Guy is very lucky the cops didn't take him out and ask questions later

That is not the guy whom I was referring to. That is simply a camo shirt with a hood. I'm referring to full US Army standard issue fatigues in active duty.

But yes, camo hoodie guy is lucky he wasn't mistaken to the point of getting shot himself.

Missed this the first time around from the NYT article:

After several hours, negotiations broke down and police officers and the suspect exchanged gunfire. The police detonated a robot-controlled bomb, killing the suspect.

I read that too. I can't believe it has gotten to the point where the police are using bombs to "neutralize" suspects....what the actual F...

I read that too. I can't believe it has gotten to the point where the police are using bombs to "neutralize" suspects....what the actual F...

What were they supposed to do when he won't surrender after hours of negotiation and continues to shoot at police, risk more lives trying to take him out? After the carnage this idiot caused, I am surprised they showed the restraint to even bother to negotiate with him. I would have sent the robot in as soon as it was prepped and ready to go. Killing 5 people and wounding 7 others, in my book you have lost your membership card in the human race and should be treated accordingly. Thankfully the taxpayers were saved the cost of a trial, endless appeals, a platform to expound his warped views, free room and board for years and the infamy this type of event creates before he would have been finally executed.

Honestly I surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner.

Same here. Sadly this will not be the last. I am fascinated by what type of robot bomb they used

Same here. Sadly this will not be the last. I am fascinated by what type of robot bomb they used

It was an EOD robot used to diffuse bombs. I believe they made their own IED to take out the bad guy. More than likely I'm guessing one of their EOD guys threw something together and they duct taped it to the robot. EOD Teams have been known to use bombs to destroy larger bombs or groups of bombs.

What were they supposed to do when he won't surrender after hours of negotiation and continues to shoot at police, risk more lives trying to take him out? After the carnage this idiot caused, I am surprised they showed the restraint to even bother to negotiate with him. Killing 5 people and wounding 7 others, in my book you have lost your membership card in the human race and should be treated accordingly and save the taxpayers the cost of a trial, endless appeals, housing and the infamy before he is finally executed.

Listen I'm surprised that they negotiated with him too. After the shit he pulled they definitely gave him the benefit of the doubt, but They used a BOMB to kill him...a BOMB. How were assholes like this dealt with by police before the advent of robot toting bombs? While I'm sure the police on the ground at the time felt that was the safest and most expedient way to deal with the situation, I'm sorry but personally I'm not comfortable with the idea of the police using a bomb to kill someone. And while I respect the department's authority to kill someone who clearly had no intention of being taken alive, they should never be given free license to dictate guilt and punishment.

I know its mostly hyperbole but I dont want to see the U.S. ever get to the point where we dont have trials and appeals...not necessarily to protect shitheads like those that killed the police officers, (although even those that commit these horrible crimes still have constitutionally protected rights) but to protect those that may find themselves targeted by the state, rightfully or wrongfully. If some officers cant be trusted to use a gun properly, I certainly dont want them to have access to something potentially much more destructive.

Listen I'm surprised that they negotiated with him too. After the shit he pulled they definitely gave him the benefit of the doubt, but They used a BOMB to kill him...a BOMB. How were assholes like this dealt with by police before the advent of robot toting bombs? While I'm sure the police on the ground at the time felt that was the safest and most expedient way to deal with the situation, I'm sorry but personally I'm not comfortable with the idea of the police using a bomb to kill someone. And while I respect the department's authority to kill someone who clearly had no intention of being taken alive, they should never be given free license to dictate guilt and punishment.

I know its mostly hyperbole but I dont want to see the U.S. ever get to the point where we dont have trials and appeals...not necessarily to protect shitheads like those that killed the police officers, (although even those that commit these horrible crimes still have constitutionally protected rights) but to protect those that may find themselves targeted by the state, rightfully or wrongfully. If some officers cant be trusted to use a gun properly, I certainly dont want them to have access to something potentially much more destructive.

I guess we will have agree to disagree.

They tried to negotiate and if he surrendered he wouldn't have been executed on the spot, he would have gotten his due process.The killer wasn't going to be taken alive, so why risk another life on this POS? It's nonsensical. He was obviously proficient in the use of high powered weapons, you know by killing 5 cops and wounding 6 others. Bullet or bomb he wasn't making it out of that parking garage alive so why not use the option that puts no one else at risk. What if he took out 2 or 3 more cops when they went in to take him out.

He was offered a trial if he surrendered. He refused that option.

What were they supposed to do when he won't surrender after hours of negotiation and continues to shoot at police, risk more lives trying to take him out? After the carnage this idiot caused, I am surprised they showed the restraint to even bother to negotiate with him. I would have sent the robot in as soon as it was prepped and ready to go. Killing 5 people and wounding 7 others, in my book you have lost your membership card in the human race and should be treated accordingly. Thankfully the taxpayers were saved the cost of a trial, endless appeals, a platform to expound his warped views, free room and board for years and the infamy this type of event creates before he would have been finally executed.

THIS! Its not like he should have been given a sporting chance. This seems to have been the best way to end the killing without risking more human lives (than they already had been for hours)

This is so fucked up.

I guess we will have agree to disagree.

They tried to negotiate and if he surrendered he wouldn't have been executed on the spot, he would have gotten his due process.The killer wasn't going to be taken alive, so why risk another life on this POS? It's nonsensical. He was obviously proficient in the use of high powered weapons, you know by killing 5 cops and wounding 6 others. Bullet or bomb he wasn't making it out of that parking garage alive so why not use the option that puts no one else at risk. What if he took out 2 or 3 more cops when they went in to take him out.

I agree, I just dont like the idea of our police departments using bombs to kill someone. Im sure you can see the proverbial slippery slope and I dont want the police to become comfortable using that type of force in other situations...Oh shit there's a crack den, maybe there are armed men inside, lets send in a bomb to neutralize the threat...what? The crack den is across the street? Opps...

But you are right, that guy was going to be killed regardless of the method and this may have been the seen as the best way to do that without risking more lives. Those on the ground certainly had a better perspective and insight than me. Its just that the bleeding heart part of me would not like to see it become a regular law enforcement tool, as it seems more like a military tactic...but shit maybe that's what our country has come to?

No arrest will look good on video, however once suspect's on the ground the officers have to b back off.

. I know that I s not easy especially when the adrenaline I s still pumping but that is where the professionalism of an officer

Is shown. I am horrified at what I s occurring and hope we don't have a full-scale w a r on our h ands.

I get what you're saying, but what is the difference? Bomb, robot, bullet, drone, etc. This guy dictated his own punishment by killing innocent people. Would you rather have had more innocent cops go in and kill this guy who has training? While this was an unconventional method of killing someone we kill people all the time overseas with M203 grenade launchers, MK19 grenade launchers, AT4 rocket launchers, Carl G. rocket launchers, claymores, grenades, etc. I am against militarization of the US police departments, but this was an incident like the LA shootings with the two gunmen armed with AK47's. The police were outgunned, and innocent people were at risk.

This is why Rand Paul Fillibustered for 10 hours and 30 minutes. The circumstance we're talking about is way different though. This was a huge situation that had direction from the top of their chain of command, it wasn't just a few regular officers strapping a bomb onto something. It was an active scenario. This was actively taking place and not just some US citizen getting "droned" to death in their sleep with no knowledge of what was going on.

THIS! Its not like he should have been given a sporting chance. This seems to have been the best way to end the killing without risking more human lives (than they already had been for hours)

I see the point of it. Why risk more lives if we have a tool to take care of the issue. But I'm just disconcerted that this particular tool has been taken out of the bag in a city in the US.

I get what you're saying, but what is the difference? Bomb, robot, bullet, drone, etc. This guy dictated his own punishment by killing innocent people. Would you rather have had more innocent cops go in and kill this guy who has training? While this was an unconventional method of killing someone we kill people all the time overseas with M203 grenade launchers, MK19 grenade launchers, AT4 rocket launchers, Carl G. rocket launchers, claymores, grenades, etc. I am against militarization of the US police departments, but this was an incident like the LA shootings with the two gunmen armed with AK47's. The police were outgunned, and innocent people were at risk.

This is why Rand Paul Fillibustered for 10 hours and 30 minutes. The circumstance we're talking about is way different though. This was a huge situation that had direction from the top of their chain of command, it wasn't just a few regular officers strapping a bomb onto something. It was an active scenario. This was actively taking place and not just some US citizen getting "droned" to death in their sleep with no knowledge of what was going on.

I know right? Dead is dead, regardless of the method. But the tools you mentioned, and I know you know this, were used by the military during war, not by a domestic police force. Personally, that's my problem with it. To me, and I may certainly be completely wrong, a bullet is aimed by a particular person to hit a specific target, where as a bomb CAN be made to be much more indiscriminate in its capacity to kill. Not in this case apparently, but who draws the line and where is it drawn? How soon before this effective method is escalated to other situations?

I'm also sure the use of the bomb was well thought out and came from higher up the chain than the officer's on the street...but again, personally, that doesnt make me any more comfortable. Those who are making the decision to bring out this type of ordinance are also responsible for the training of their officers and right now it looks like many aspects of the training are deficient in some police departments. Not necessarily in the Dallas Police Department (which I think was outstanding under such a shit storm) but when Cheif Deputy Delbert Dipshit of Bumfuck USA says to himself, "Gee those fellers in Dallas used a robot bomb to take out a suspect, we can do the same thing!" That is a scary prospect...I'm sad to see that genie out of the bottle I guess.

Anyway, my personal take is for sure a slippery slope argument and I hope I'm completely paranoid and wrong about this type of tool use being escalated.

I see the point of it. Why risk more lives if we have a tool to take care of the issue. But I'm just disconcerted that this particular tool has been taken out of the bag in a city in the US.

You also have to recognize that this method was less risky than storming him with a SWAT team. Why risk losing another officer?

You also have to recognize that this method was less risky than storming him with a SWAT team. Why risk losing another officer?

damn straight. They did the right thing. Oh and this will be far from the last time we see this. It will be the beginning of a pattern. Some black that are terminally ill or not happy with the way they have been treated will go down as martyrs. They will go down in their mind for the right cause....

so we have ISIS , young kids that are being bullied , and now blacks that have been mis treated by the police as 3 potential revolving US attacks in the future.