Back surgery this Friday - Lumbar Microdisectomy

Charlie

I don't know him. I wish you a good recovery. My only advice is don't over do it while you heal. It's hard for a type A like yourself, but keep telling yourself if you do t heal right it will not only ruin your chances of having the problem fixed but could make things worse.

Thank you Assman and I agree I gotta keep myself in check.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had it done Charlie, L4,L5 in Houston Texas. Neurosurgeon was James Bonnen, excellent care. In my case the Canadian healthcare system delayed too long and I still have some foot drop, weak side stability in my foot. I was in unbearable sciatic pain and the surgery helped right away. Recovery was speedy, walking same day, discharged the next. Was leaps above older methods where they cut all the muscle tissue and it took 6 weeks to carry any sort of weight. You'll have to take it easy for a while tho, not to reinjure and keep stretching even after the surgery to keep lumbar, leg and ab muscles flexible. It's a fairly painless surgery so just hold tough and a speedy recovery man!

Man, that is great to hear! How long from when the injury incurred (foot drop) to surgery for you? My surgery day will be five weeks from injury so the neurosurgeon feels pretty good but wished I did the surgery a couple weeks ago. Surgeon stated after week 7 chances of full recovery to walk/run normally again not realistic. Thank you for the feedback and positive reply!

Thank you Rouleur, FastAlex and everyone else for the positive vibes and prayers! Means a lot!

Mine was months so permanent nerve damage was a given. My doctor said that usually nerves can return to normal after 3 months of being compressed (severity taken into account of course) I can still run, do leg curls and squat... It's just side stability, like if I step on an uneven surface my ankle rolls to the side. I was still able to stay really fit and keep strength up. At 6'4" 230 I put a lot of strain on my back. Long periods of sitting are not good. Honestly, stretching is the key

Sorry to hear about your surgery and your back. I'm going through similar issues right now. From firefighting and wearing plate carrier vests and all my gear for months, my back has been damaged and it wasn't until I started recently getting it checked out, it was discovered that I had scoliosis as well. Just had an MRI on Friday and going through more tests soon. Back pain is the worst. I hope everything goes okay so you can get back out there doing what you do. Take care, man!

Best of luck with the surgery. I had a relatively minor back injury in high school and for about a week I couldn't even walk stairs without it feeling like a cattle prod was stuck in my lower back. Luckily time, therapy, and core exercises were all I needed to recover, being 14 at the time helped I am sure. I can't imagine the agony caused by a more serious back issue like you are experiencing. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Like I said in the gun thread best of luck with the surgery buddy. Hope it offers a permanent fix and gets you back in your boots ASAP!

Best of luck with the surgery and recovery. Already been said multiple times, but take time to heal and dont over do it! My buddy didn't take the proper time to heal and put himself out of commission longer than what he would have been had he taken it easy from the jump and allowed his body to heal/strengthen post surgery.

Charlie, how did you make out? Just thought to check and see how you are making out. Keep us posted man.

I talked to a Neurosurgeon buddy of mine. He said it is possible but will be difficult to keep your musculature as big as you keep it. You'll need to get a very good trainer and learn all different workouts to keep force and pressure and movement off your lower back. It's possible but he echo'd the sentiment of making sure you heal properly first.

Charlie, how did you make out? Just thought to check and see how you are making out. Keep us posted man.

Surgery went well! I was in the hospital at 0530 Friday. In bed they put on compression leggings then these things from ankles to knee that compress to reduce blood clots. Started an antibiotic drip and anesthesia soon after. A girlfriend of mine, Karen McDougal (Playmate of the year) picked me up and took care of me for the first 24 hours. Karen has been amazing and we have been great friends for a long time. The day of surgery I was not nauseous but did not eat much. They prescribed me Percocet, Flexeril, ondansetron and methylprednisolone. I did not use the ondansetron (for nausea). Saturday I woke up feeling better than I anticipated. Tight pain were the stitches are but again not as bad as I thought I would be. Leg pain was minimal. Still obviously have foot drop. You definitely need someone to take care of you for the first 24-48 hours. Just simple things even down to putting on shorts. No way you are going to be putting on socks or shoes by yourself for the three weeks. Saturday I got my appetite back and friends came over and grilled for me. Sleeping has been pretty good though hard to get out of bed carefully. Been sleeping on my side only. Sunday I still was not able to go #2 (shit) so I started taking stool softener and later that day I finally went #2. Sunday I ate really well gaining my appetite back and started to wein off the percocet - taking one every 7 hours. I am still taking the Flexuril three times a day. This morning, Monday, woke up feeling well and have not taken any percocet since bed time last night and am going to try to not take anymore. So I am pretty happy with the progress so far and will do my best to be super patient and not lift anything heavy (even something like taking out the trash) and no bending. Patience is going to be key for me for the next three weeks.

Best of luck with the surgery and recovery. Already been said multiple times, but take time to heal and dont over do it! My buddy didn't take the proper time to heal and put himself out of commission longer than what he would have been had he taken it easy from the jump and allowed his body to heal/strengthen post surgery.

Thank you Brother! Yes I agree! It is definitely easier said than done and can see how he could easily reherniate etc. Anything like even lifting a gallon of milk you feel in your spine so it is no joke to not exceed the weight they tell you for max lift, etc the first several weeks.

I talked to a Neurosurgeon buddy of mine. He said it is possible but will be difficult to keep your musculature as big as you keep it. You'll need to get a very good trainer and learn all different workouts to keep force and pressure and movement off your lower back. It's possible but he echo'd the sentiment of making sure you heal properly first.

I have already lost 10 lbs of muscle since the incident five weeks ago and know I will drop more. It is what it is so I will just have to live with it and do exactly what they tell me. I will keep you posted what the neurosurgeon says on Sept 22 for my check up. I am hoping I get the green light to start PT.

Been wondering how things went. Thanks for update and glad all is going well!

Best of luck taking it easy and being patient. Not easy but required for good LONG TERM result!

Been wondering how things went. Thanks for update and glad all is going well!

Best of luck taking it easy and being patient. Not easy but required for good LONG TERM result!

Thank you for everything! Each day feeling better.

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie, checking in, how you making out?

Doing well thank you for asking! Each day feeling better. Very little sciatic pain now which is great! Not on any pain meds. Sleep has been off - I think it is because I am not physically active and just hard time falling asleep/body needing less sleep since not as active. I can work on 5-6 hours sleep when I usually need 7-8 hours to feel 100%. Lost about 13 lbs as of today (weighed in today when met with neurosurgeon). That 13 lbs is all muscle mass since I have always been lean. That has been the hardest part of this whole surgery is not doing anything and seeing my quads, calves, glutes, arms, chest, lats & traps slowly dissapear. It is seriously killing me not being active - gym, training with guys that are in town, running/biking/swimming and just being able to lift simple things. BUT, today I met with the neurosurgeon and am approved to start PT! I am honestly excited! Dr stated to try to still not bend over if I can, it I feel any slight pain stop what I am doing, etc. Said I can start swimming so I will start doing that bc the swimming does get my shoulders bulked up! It will be three weeks tomorrow from the day of surgery so where I am today I am pleased. I honestly thought it would be tougher. I am lucky! This may sound crazy but I am looking forward to putting my own shoes on/off tomorrow LOL. I have been living in sandals even on the range. I still can not shoot or really carry around weapons at the range or help guys move gear. But everyone has been super cool. We have one guy in the group that just had his shoulder done so that makes me feel better since I do not look like the only broke dick and everyone has been really cool about it. As for the Foot drop zero improvements. Movement trying to raise my right toes towards my head/ walking on my heels my right foot is still dead - can't raise my toes in the air to walk on my right heel. I knew this would be lucky to see anything only 3 weeks post surgery so I am not worried yet. Dr stated same thing and could take easily 8-12 months or even more to get that back. I am positive I will get it back but it is going to suck if I don't. I look like an old man walking around right now.

I will keep you posted once I have a couple weeks of PT and what works. Now just patient and making sure I break myself back in slowly with PT. I am going out this weekend to make sure the guys visiting have a good time in old town Scottsdale. Have bottle service set up for us so will be fun to go out - feel like wearing a t-shirt that says "DO NOT jump on, pat, or push or bear hug me because I just had back surgery" LOL. The boys will look out for me ;)

Glad to hear your recovery is going well, congrats! Probably a tough time now staying within your limits since you are feeling better...just keep it slow and steady and you'll be back in fighting shape before you know it! Best of luck on your continued recovery. :headbang:

Glad to hear your recovery is going well, congrats! Probably a tough time now staying within your limits since you are feeling better...just keep it slow and steady and you'll be back in fighting shape before you know it! Best of luck on your continued recovery. :headbang:

Thank you Blylek and Cake!