You need a new $4k mirror. LIES!!!!!!

gmendoza

Thanks for the gear photos. Anyone know of a good independent shop in Orange County? I need to learn what may need dealer assistance vs independent shop. Not sure I would feel real confident doing the door panel and changing the gear myself. If I took my time, maybe so. What the hey, at least I had enough confidence to change my battery, so maybe this is the next level.

The door panel is very easy to remove. Just take your time and you will be fine. I replaced my passenger door strut some months ago and I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down before I work on the driver side.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, would you be willing to let me borrow the broken gear? (I'm about 25min from you). I'd like to model this one and see if I can turn out some better parts.

For sure man, I'll pm you my contact info.

For sure man, I'll pm you my contact info.

In for the automatic opening and closing lambo doors from key fob mod that you two create from your collaboration.

Hey man, would you be willing to let me borrow the broken gear? (I'm about 25min from you). I'd like to model this one and see if I can turn out some better parts.

Let us know how it turns out. I need to get on this but been too busy with work and moving.

• 4 months later...

Great write up, I have been looking at how to dismantle my mirrors since I bought the car two years ago. I got to the point of remove g the glass and bottle it!

Could I just check both my mirrors adjust but don't fold. There is no noise from the motor at all. Do you think I may have a different problem? I have just renewed the dash switch to fix the fuel filler flap.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards to all

John

Ugh this thread completely slipped my mind. G you have a PM incoming.

I completely forgot about this thread to. I need to check on my car if I can hear the motor spinning and if it is I'll buy a gear from you if you get them made.

Does anyone know if the mirror motors are the same on LP640 vs LP670, I'm assuming they are the same but just want to make sure since the mirrors themselves are different.

I completely forgot about this thread to. I need to check on my car if I can hear the motor spinning and if it is I'll buy a gear from you if you get them made.

Does anyone know if the mirror motors are the same on LP640 vs LP670, I'm assuming they are the same but just want to make sure since the mirrors themselves are different.

Funny this has also happened to to my SV mirror too and Gonzo fixed the one on my previous LP640. Gonz is my neighbor and I'll be sending him my SV to do exhaust upgrade and will have him fix my mirror as well...will let you know.

I have a feeling they are the same. Although it is possible the gear is broken and jammed so the motor wont turn. So you wont hear anything.

Great write up, I have been looking at how to dismantle my mirrors since I bought the car two years ago. I got to the point of remove g the glass and bottle it!

Could I just check both my mirrors adjust but don't fold. There is no noise from the motor at all. Do you think I may have a different problem? I have just renewed the dash switch to fix the fuel filler flap.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards to all

John

Very likely it's the gear.

Well, initially a few months ago I had issues with the passenger side not folding in or out well, but most recently it has not been that bad with the passenger side although occasionally I still get the fart noise and partial movement: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

But now I just noticed the drivers side may not move outward on occasion too unless I give it a very slight push to get it going (no gear fart noise on that side, but just needs a slight nudge). Same with the passenger side if it stalls a bit half way moving inward like yesterday, a slight push inward while operating the window switch gets it to fold all they way in.

You would think there would be a set of brass gears somewhere that could be used instead of funky plastic but I suppose hard to find being so precise to the mirror. Same with Pantera door window gears, the original plastic gear gets stripped so now brass gears are used by many when replacing. However, the gears presented here on page 1 seem probably better than stock, but still "plastic".

Ugh, Lambo mirrors!

Well, initially a few months ago I had issues with the passenger side not folding in or out well, but most recently it has not been that bad with the passenger side although occasionally I still get the fart noise and partial movement: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

But now I just noticed the drivers side may not move outward on occasion too unless I give it a very slight push to get it going (no gear fart noise on that side, but just needs a slight nudge). Same with the passenger side if it stalls a bit half way moving inward like yesterday, a slight push inward while operating the window switch gets it to fold all they way in.

You would think there would be a set of brass gears somewhere that could be used instead of funky plastic but I suppose hard to find being so precise to the mirror. Same with Pantera door window gears, the original plastic gear gets stripped so now brass gears are used by many when replacing. However, the gears presented here on page 1 seem probably better than stock, but still "plastic".

Ugh, Lambo mirrors!

Brass gears can definitely be used, but the plastic gears make a nice "fuse". If the plastic gear on the motor breaks it's pretty easy to replace. If you had a brass gear, then the plastic on the mirror would break and that isn't as easy.

Seems like these gears could be a bit stronger, but they serve as a good fuse in the system.

Just FYI, looks like the link shown on page 1 of this post (noted below), is no longer working:

Instructions to replace the gear are here (go to step 8 on page 11 for our application)

http://www.gruvenparts.com/content/PDF/Gru...Y_8_29_2016.pdf

Are we supposed to lube the morrors anywhere, internal and/or external? Just wondering why my drivers side now needs a sliight nudge on occasion to get it moving.

I have a feeling they are the same. Although it is possible the gear is broken and jammed so the motor wont turn. So you wont hear anything.

Very likely it's the gear.

Many thanks for the reply. I will be removing the mirrors in a couple of weeks and update on findings. Removing glass will be interesting

John

Many thanks for the reply. I will be removing the mirrors in a couple of weeks and update on findings. Removing glass will be interesting

John

John,

I have had one of mine apart 580 not 640 so slightly different.

I bought the glass on ebay for a couple of pounds, I would worry about the glass too much

On mine you need to push the glass as far in as possible to get to the screws behind it.

John,

I have had one of mine apart 580 not 640 so slightly different.

I bought the glass on ebay for a couple of pounds, I would worry about the glass too much

On mine you need to push the glass as far in as possible to get to the screws behind it.

Can you please post a link for the glass you bought on ebay?

Just FYI, looks like the link shown on page 1 of this post (noted below), is no longer working:

Instructions to replace the gear are here (go to step 8 on page 11 for our application)

http://www.gruvenparts.com/content/PDF/Gru...Y_8_29_2016.pdf

Are we supposed to lube the morrors anywhere, internal and/or external? Just wondering why my drivers side now needs a sliight nudge on occasion to get it moving.

The mirrors are lubed inside the motor.

Brass gears can definitely be used, but the plastic gears make a nice "fuse". If the plastic gear on the motor breaks it's pretty easy to replace. If you had a brass gear, then the plastic on the mirror would break and that isn't as easy.

Seems like these gears could be a bit stronger, but they serve as a good fuse in the system.

Turns out Gruven is now making the gears in brass. According to their site, should be available in a couple of weeks.

Why would the brass gear potentially break the plastic on the mirror? Is that if someone bumps the mirror such as when gawking & walking by, then the plastic gear would break instead of the plastic on the mirror?

Turns out Gruven is now making the gears in brass. According to their site, should be available in a couple of weeks.

We gonna order one for my SV?

Man, sometimes these cars remind me of a Lotus 😂

Why would the brass gear potentially break the plastic on the mirror? Is that if someone bumps the mirror such as when gawking & walking by, then the plastic gear would break instead of the plastic on the mirror?

Yes, it would take blunt force but inevitably (with everything in life) when you strengthen one part, you just bring to light the next weakest part. You hope the "next weakest part" is strong enough it isn't effected.

Yes, it would take blunt force but inevitably (with everything in life) when you strengthen one part, you just bring to light the next weakest part. You hope the "next weakest part" is strong enough it isn't effected.

Thanks, that's what I thought (bump & break). If I ever get the balls to attempt this I may go with the brass gear anyway as I wouldn't want to get into the risks of taking off the door panel and mirror again in the future. With mirrors folded in, at least there is less risk of bump & break as they tuck pretty tight. But on the inside of the mirror, not sure if the brass replacement gear would tooth up to another plastic part when it is operating and whether that would be good brass to plastic.

Yup, that's it. I have an extra set of gears at home. I'll take pics of the areas that need attention for smoother operation tomorrow.

Fellas,

As I said before what a great write up. Owned my Murci for 20 months and the mirrors have never worked. This gave me the push to go and find out what was wrong. I disassembled the mirror and just before I started on the motor I decided to check the wiring. Low and behold the terminals were the wrong way around. Changed them over and now I have drivers side mirror working. Now for the passenger side. LOL

The previous owner told me they he had burned out the motors five years ago. What are you betting if I had taken it to a Lambo garage I would have had to pay for a set of replacements?

Check your wiring fellas.

John

Great guidance.... my Lambo dealer broke my motor and the glass too... SV right side...

Motor doesn't work now, and i got a US glass on my EU car... trust your lamb dealer... PS: he managed to scratch the black paint too...