My 720S and DoctaM3s new Performante at the drag strip...

FikseSTS

what color is that on the perf?

looks awesome

Viola Parsifae

I think it's an absolutely gorgeous color.

------------------------------

The drag videos were awesome to see, thanks Brooks!

720S is blisteringly fast, those are impressive numbers and I can't say much else that hasn't already been said. 9 second stock McLaren that isn't on the hyper-car level (P1, 918, Chiron) is testament to the leaps McLaren has made on their cars.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean, there's a slightly used Huracan TT for sale ...

If you know HoustonT, that guy has moves ahead of moves. It was sold before the new one was bought lol...

I had the fortune of twisting his arm for months and the stars had to align for him to get a performante first before he agreed to sell. I’m traveling for a bit but I’ll be getting HoustonT’s TT huracan soon I hope.

I’ll be with fiksegts at the 1/4 mile track before you know it :)

If you know HoustonT, that guy has moves ahead of moves. It was sold before the new one was bought lol...

I had the fortune of twisting his arm for months and the stars had to align for him to get a performante first before he agreed to sell. I’m traveling for a bit but I’ll be getting HoustonT’s TT huracan soon I hope.

Congrats!!!

Great to see it going to a LP member ... Especially one of the South Florida Crew ...

Looking forward to the videos and your driving impressions ...

As I recall your TTG ran 9.6X's and trapped low 160's ...

You heard it here first ... Your new TTH goes 8.x's on its first outing at the track ...

I agree on the perf's looks, sound, emotion....the straight line issue will be solved by Underground Racing. Don't count the 720S out though, I bet it's also FAF around a road course.

Peter

congrats on your Perf coming! I agree with all above if you are into straight line racing. what McLaren did with the traction and power delivery on the 720 is just awesome!

IMO the perf looks better, sounds better, has more emotion/raw feel. both badass cars but one is clearly faster in the 1/4 and one is faster on a road course.

I'm a fan of both cars, but right now the perf has my heart! maybe when the 720 spider comes out ill have both!

I also just heard they have a new model coming out "ultimate track weapon" that I'm sure will be insane as well!

:)

I agree on the perf's looks, sound, emotion....the straight line issue will be solved by Underground Racing. Don't count the 720S out though, I bet it's also FAF around a road course.

Peter

A Performante should not get TT treatment.

Waste of money and purpose, IMO.

A Performante should not get TT treatment.

Waste of money and purpose, IMO.

Their cars and their choice but this is 100% accurate, countless of engineering and design hours goes into it in order to make it go around corners as fast as the current knowledge and abilities allow us now let’s just slap a pair of huge snails on it and make it go fast in straight line, as I said not my car not my money so it doesn’t affect me but it does seem very counterproductive.

Their cars and their choice but this is 100% accurate, countless of engineering and design hours goes into it in order to make it go around corners as fast as the current knowledge and abilities allow us now let’s just slap a pair of huge snails on it and make it go fast in straight line, as I said not my car not my money so it doesn’t affect me but it does seem very counterproductive.

You must know by now it's difficult for me not to swing at the easy ones ...

The F1 teams are in the USA this week ...

I managed to see the practice sessions and the qualifying ... I noticed something ...

Regarding Hamilton who drives for Mercedes and Alonso who drives for Mclaren ...

Here's the interesting part ...

Both Hamilton and Alonso have each won multiple F1 driver's titles ...

Both Mercedes and Mclaren have each won multiple F1 constructor's titles ...

Yet in today's qualifying session Mercedes qualified 1st and Mclaren qualified 9th ...

While both the Mercedes and the Mclaren were quick thru the twisty middle section ...

When it came to the 1st and 3rd sections the Mercedes was 12 mph faster down the straights ...

In the post qualifying interviews the Mclaren team said emphatically ...

It would have been counterproductive to go faster on the straights ...

So perhaps you're right it's counterproductive to add turbos to a H P ...

The hybrids and 720S have great straight line speed. The HP has the best cornering capability and corner exit speed. The next generation, be it the Mercedes Hyper car, 488 Speciale or 750 LT (if that’s what it called) puts both of these together. That’s the ultimate combo. We are three years away.

I managed to see the practice sessions and the qualifying ... I noticed something ...

Regarding Hamilton who drives for Mercedes and Alonso who drives for Mclaren ...

Yet in today's qualifying session Mercedes qualified 1st and Mclaren qualified 9th ...

While both the Mercedes and the Mclaren were quick thru the twisty middle section ...

When it came to the 1st and 3rd sections the Mercedes was 12 mph faster down the straights ...

I am sorry but I don’t follow exactly what you are trying to imply, what makes it even more confusing for me is the fact that I don’t watch F1, I know very little if anything about the current series, I stopped watching when they made the cars sound like vacuum cleaners.

I don’t get what you are trying to say and why you are comparing F1 cars with Lambos wich are modified to deliver 2500 HP for straight line racing?

I thought all F1 teams are running TT power plans, isn't that the case? I am having a Wheels moment here LOL.

What I was trying to say is that Lamborghini spent a tone of time designing the aero on the Performante in order to perform very well on race tracks which have corners, these cars might not be as efficient at straigh line max speed so dumping large turbos into a car which might come with an air break from the factory is counterproductive, you take the wing and the aero away you have a standard Huracan so why bother?

Anyway I am not stopping anyone from gutting their Lambos as I said not my money so no care, just making conversation :icon_thumleft:

Just a reminder ...

For "some" being fast thru the corners (only) is just NOT enough ... On the straights ...

It's better to have the horsepower and not need it, than to need it and not have it ...

But of course, that only applies if you want to run up front ... On the track or the street ...

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

A TT HP is not merely the case of "I have more power when I need it." That is a drastic oversimplification of things. Consider the follow:

A HP hits 170 mph on a straight and has to brake hard at distance X.

A TT HP hits 250 mph on a straight and has to brake hard at a distance Y.

Distance Y is much bigger than distance X. The brakes get worked substantially harder. The tires experience much more stress and heat. The car still weighs A LOT. Most likely you'll have destroyed your tires and brakes if you really try to use all of that power.

Given that a TT HP is no doubt tuned to operate at a certain threshold, this means you can't just experience the engine and driving characteristics of a 640 hp HP. The turbos absolutely don't have the response of an NA engine and it's more than likely that you'll have a much worse experience. Imagine using a 1800 hp set up on a track that often only accommodates 600 hp. It's not going to work well. Assuming you successfully baby the car through a bunch of low to medium speed turns, you then cook your brakes on the straights as you pump out all 1800 hp but have to brake longer and harder to burn off all that speed.

Sure, you could go with a bolt-on 800 hp Performante, but I don't get the impression that anyone is actually doing that. Doing a massive hp build for the Performante is seemingly pointless. If you just want the interior or design of a Performante, I can understand that, but it really doesn't make sense from a mechanical perspective.

On the subject of HP vs 720S on a road course, I would not be surprised if a 720S is still quicker given the same tires. There is much talk about the aerodynamic innovations of the HP, but there should probably be more talk about the change in tire technology that has happened in the last year. Both Michlene and Pirelli have new tires, though the names remain the same. I personally don't think the ALA system is as responsible for the performance improvement as I believe the latest tires and a better suspension set up are.

I would be very interested in seeing an LP610 with the latest Pirelli Trofeo R tires on it and a suspension tune. Or a 918 with the latest Trofeo R. Or a 675 LT with the latest.

I believe manufacturers are playing some marketing tricks on buyers.

Just a reminder ...

For "some" being fast thru the corners (only) is just NOT enough ... On the straights ...

It's better to have the horsepower and not need it, than to need it and not have it ...

But of course, that only applies if you want to run up front ... On the track or the street ...

You are assuming these cars are not fast down the straigh or they don’t have enough HP, they are extremely fast and they have plenty power, do you think you can come out of a corner with your foot pushing the accelerator through the floor feeling like the car doesn’t go fast enough? it’s all about balance, if it wasn’t race cars could easily have 1500 HP plus, why do you think that’s not the case?

The best thing to do is go experience them for yourself, if you take a Performante on a race track (the place it was designed for from the factory) and you will report here that the car isn’t fast enough for you I will rest my case.

Race cars used to have power at those levels. Can Am Posche and 80s turbo F1. They'd still have that kind of power if they didn't have limited on number of engines in a season and fuel flow limits. Time attack cars now have power close to that and it's needed for lap time. You can shave off seconds a lap with faster corner exit acceleration and straight line speed. You also can add significantly more aero, look at Mercedes killing everyone else in F1. That's with just 40-50 hp more than their competitors

On the subject of HP vs 720S on a road course, I would not be surprised if a 720S is still quicker given the same tires. There is much talk about the aerodynamic innovations of the HP, but there should probably be more talk about the change in tire technology that has happened in the last year. Both Michlene and Pirelli have new tires, though the names remain the same. I personally don't think the ALA system is as responsible for the performance improvement as I believe the latest tires and a better suspension set up are.

I would be very interested in seeing an LP610 with the latest Pirelli Trofeo R tires on it and a suspension tune. Or a 918 with the latest Trofeo R. Or a 675 LT with the latest.

I believe manufacturers are playing some marketing tricks on buyers.

It could be quicker in the hands of some and less in the hands of others, the HP will be quicker in the hands of most because it’s a car which is extremely easy to drive fast, I was shocked how much faster I could go, it was quite scary because I know my limitations LOL.

I know it’s about bragging rights and marketing but I am not that naive, I know where my abilities begin and where they end LOL

I am not a professional race car driver and I don’t need to be one because I buy these cars for personal enjoyment and to me it’s kind of irrelevant which one is faster in the hands of some other guy who does this for a living followed by an army of technicians at a race track while doing hundreds of runs in order to cherry pick one, also not to sound like a condescending prick but people who can afford these car generally are pretty switched on and it isn’t that easy to play tricks on, I am sure that would work on some but it won’t work on the greater majority. Selling things to the wealthy is extremely hard work that’s why I avoid retail like the plague.

I drove the Performante and the Huracan same road same tyre set up to me it was NIGHT and DAY, I spent hours with the car my dealer does not pull any tricks on me because he knows how I react even if he attempts :icon_mrgreen:

Also you have to consider this, it’s a matter of preference, the H P isn't that much more expensive than a well specced 610 H so it comes down to what is more enjoyable to drive once you test drive one.

Race cars used to have power at those levels. Can Am Posche and 80s turbo F1. They'd still have that kind of power if they didn't have limited on number of engines in a season and fuel flow limits. Time attack cars now have power close to that and it's needed for lap time. You can shave off seconds a lap with faster corner exit acceleration and straight line speed. You also can add significantly more aero, look at Mercedes killing everyone else in F1. That's with just 40-50 hp more than their competitors

True, but those cars weigh 1000-1500 lbs less, or maybe even 2000 lbs in the case of an F1 car. That weight difference is very, very significant in terms of how the car can even stay on the track. Brakes, tires... you'll destroy them vastly quicker.

Fuel usage is another interesting aspect. If your fuel usage goes up by a percentage greater than the amount of time you've save (which it arguably would with such power) you'll most likely have less time on the track as well.

It all depends what you're after. I'm quite sure a stock Huracan Performante will get more laps down in the same amount of time than a TT HP. If you are just after a single flying lap, sure, a TT HP will probably be quickest. If you want to track your car all day, I honestly don't even think a TT HP would last.

It could be quicker in the hands of some and less in the hands of others, the HP will be quicker in the hands of most because it’s a car which is extremely easy to drive fast, I was shocked how much faster I could go, it was quite scary because I know my limitations LOL.

I know it’s about bragging rights and marketing but I am not that naive, I know where my abilities begin and where they end LOL

I am not a professional race car driver and I don’t need to be one because I buy these cars for personal enjoyment and to me it’s kind of irrelevant which one is faster in the hands of some other guy who does this for a living followed by an army of technicians at a race track while doing hundreds of runs in order to cherry pick one, also not to sound like a condescending prick but people who can afford these car generally are pretty switched on and it isn’t that easy to play tricks on, I am sure that would work on some but it won’t work on the greater majority. Selling things to the wealthy is extremely hard work that’s why I avoid retail like the plague.

I drove the Performante and the Huracan same road same tyre set up to me it was NIGHT and DAY, I spent hours with the car my dealer does not pull any tricks on me because he knows how I react even if he attempts :icon_mrgreen:

Also you have to consider this, it’s a matter of preference, the H P isn't that much more expensive than a well specced 610 H so it comes down to what is more enjoyable to drive once you test drive one.

Precisely. At the end of the day, for the most part no one is a professional and what car you're quicker in probably comes down to how easy it is to drive.

I'm sure the do feel very different. I imagine the suspension alone should make a difference. Hopefully I'll drive one some time next year. I heard great things about it.

Are you sure they had the same tires though? The standard Huracan did (does?) have a Trofeo option, but it was the previous generation of that tire. I believe the tire changed in late 2016/early 2017. The same goes for the Cup2. On Porsche you'll notice that the latest Cup2 on the 2nd generation GT3s have been incremented to N02. I think Audi is R01 still. McLaren and Ferrari also have their own designations... MC and K?

I have no evidence to back it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if standard Huracans shipped with the remaining old Trofeo stock and the Performante with the new ones, at least for the time being. After all, they do still make all the old compound tires for a while since they adhere to OEM specifications.

Precisely. At the end of the day, for the most part no one is a professional and what car you're quicker in probably comes down to how easy it is to drive.

I'm sure the do feel very different. I imagine the suspension alone should make a difference. Hopefully I'll drive one some time next year. I heard great things about it.

Are you sure they had the same tires though? The standard Huracan did (does?) have a Trofeo option, but it was the previous generation of that tire. I believe the tire changed in late 2016/early 2017. The same goes for the Cup2. On Porsche you'll notice that the latest Cup2 on the 2nd generation GT3s have been incremented to N02. I think Audi is R01 still. McLaren and Ferrari also have their own designations... MC and K?

I have no evidence to back it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if standard Huracans shipped with the remaining old Trofeo stock and the Performante with the new ones, at least for the time being. After all, they do still make all the old compound tires for a while since they adhere to OEM specifications.

I see good info thank you, I didn’t check them in great detail but I can go back and have a look using your post as a guide, at a glance they looked the same.

The Performante I test drove didn’t have the Trofeo R I believe none of them come with R unless you option them, I asked the dealer about them and he suggested not to get them because they are a handful if they aren’t up to proper temps and because I want to go home to my kids I conceded :icon_mrgreen:

The new Trofeo R on the Performante is a next generation to the one offered for the P1 and Camaro Z28. It and the new MPSC2 are huge steps up from the originals, these cars on lesser rubber would be much slower in track, but much more usable in the real world.

LOL some of you guys crack me up. Look at it this way...in MY OPINION, the car is slow. I do not road race anymore. I like power and speed. I love how the Performante looks, I just want it to be faster. Therefore I'm going to turbo the car....and get this, now you're gonna think i've lost my mind......I'm going to put HRE's on it and coilovers and drop it. Imagine that!!!! LOLOL :)

I've grown up around speed. My whole life i've dreamt of owning a Lamborghini (like many of you, I too had a Countach poster on my wall as a kid) and am lucky to have owned 9 of them. I'm also lucky enough to be able to dump a $100k into the car to make it a VEYRON/CHIRON/P1/La_Ferrari/918 killer....all for a FRACTION of the cost of those cars. Do I appreciate what Lamborghini did from the factory? Yes for sure. Will I change my mind one day and want a stock one? Maybe. And if so, I'll buy one. For now, i'm enjoying cars, enjoying life, and can't wait to feel 1300 HP in a Perf.

Peter