Question for those who have crossed over to a Murci

joebiz

Question for those of you have moved from the Gallardo to Murcielago. Was it something you are glad you did? I'm considering moving to a Murciealgo once all the dust settles from my awful excursion.

I am looking at getting either an 06 E-gear Gallardo or an 06 Murciealago.

From a $/$ perspective they seem to be very close. A clean Murcie cpe is running $140K. A clean G coupe is $120K. But the Murcielago seems to have hit a plateau of depreciation around 10% per year while a Gallardo still seems to have a lot more runway to accelerate depreciation. I would guess the Gallardo is depreciating around 13-15% per year. Gallardos seem "immune" to the mileage that I am going to stack on over the next 2-3 years. Where as people seem hyper-sensitive to miles on the Murcielago. So, at least for me and my buying patterns, a Gallardo and a Murcielago are probably within a $10,000 window of each other over the next 24 to 36 months.

Is maintenance going to be close?

I really, really like how low maintenance and well built the Gallardo is. I like that it is "Germanic Italian half-breed" if you know what I mean. I like that it warms up quickly and is easy to drive in traffic. (it's my understanding that the 06 e-gear is even better) In fact, there is nothing I don't absolutely love about the Gallardo, except that is isn't a Murcielago. :-) I guess I'm teh ghey. :rolleyes:

What I value:

• Easy to Drive Daily
  • Very little time spent on maintenance
  • Low headache factor
  • Minimal Depreciation
  • Maximal Fun
  • Lambo Doors (sorry, I'm lame-can't help it)
  • 1-2 minute warm-up

I'm pretty shocked at how close these cars are in terms of depreciation. I'm really leaning towards getting another Gallardo but want to get the opinions of those of you who have "crossed" over to a Murcielago if it was something that you absolutely do not regret.

Had 2 Murcielagos and 1 LP560.

G is way cheaper than M for service and parts. M is roughly 100% more in terms of maintenance cost in my experience.

The M is not the easiest car to maneuver around town. In fact driving it around the city isn't particularly fun.

That said I will never buy another G. The G is superior in every way except it's too small for me. I don't mean that I'm a big guy because I'm not (6'1", 185lbs) I just mean I dislike small cars and seem to gravitate towards bigger cars (Bentley, SLR, Murcie, etc.).

To me daily Drive-ability and depreciation are 95% of my buying decision.

But the allure of the performance of a Murcielago is very strong.

I'm going to look into TT'ing the Gallardo. A mild TT might be the ultimate car if daily driving isn't compromised substantially because of the mods..

I too, badly want to get into a Murcielago but everyone talks me out of it (maintenance, drive-ability, etc). I have daily driven my G for months with ZERO issues and can't complain.

Once my G sells, I am going to get a G Spyder or 560 next...

I have both and from a driving standpoint the G wins hands down. I dread the days I take the Murcie out and the clouds start to roll in......only to end up putting the top on in the rain. The G is a 10 second push of the button. Parking is also harder even with the back up camera. As for a day spend cruising, well the Murcie is way more fun. But if I could only have one, the G would be it.

Heh, your value list is 50% M, 50% G. I too am a sucker for doors that lift up, but I'll probably never buy an M unless the SV prices crash hard. In fact, I probably won't be a Lamborghini until I see the new models. I'm getting bored of both offerings.

Gallardo is a good car. I wonder why the depreciation is steeper on it? I wonder if the Murcielago took such a huge hit up front that it has leveled off a bit.

Three years

Murcielago= $200,000 in depreciation

Gallardo= $50,000 in depreciation.

But if it's not a competent daily driver, the Bat is out.

Really think a TT G is the way I'm going to go here...

Joe

I would go with the Murcielago since you already have a Gallardo. I know of an awesome deal on a LP640 if you are interested. I totally agree with your depreciation view on the Murcielago and it does seem they are bottom out already. Good luck and let us know either way. Have fun hunting!

Joe,

I believe you are in Texas. I would reach out to another Member and see if you could drive their car to see if it is right for you, or rent one for a day. That amount will pay for itself in dividends should you not like the car.

I know of an awesome deal on a LP640 if you are interested.

Ahh care to share buddy?? PM if you like.

I think that I'd have about 10 minutes in the driver seat to get to a yay/nay on the Murcielago. I felt immediately that I'd love the G. I was right.

I wouldn't consider the M if it was still in a depreciation free fall. I think it's bottomed out, or at least flattened out substantially. I think someone can buy a Murcielago for $140K and hold on to it for 3 years and sell it for $120-130K. Just MHO. I don't see a Murcielago below $100K for 5-7 years.

We'll see. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my wreck. At least it's in good hands with Moorespeed.

I am almost in the same boat...I love my Spyder and the awesome sound it makes with the top down.....it zips around town very good. The only thing that bugs me is the damm "regular" doors and that I'm getting bored of the power! For that reason, I am seriously thinking of getting into a 640 Roaster or wait for the new replacement.

I agree with Porter 100%.

I do not use my Murcie as a daily driver so I want something rare = Murcie, also get alot more looks than my G...it is harder to drive being a larger car but I do not like the regular doors on the G (just not a Lamborghini to me, since I had a diablo before the G and would have taken the Diablo SV over the G).

That us just my two cents but I will NEVER own a G again. Lambo all the way! If you are at $160k you should spend a little more and get the LP640!

That us just my two cents but I will NEVER own a G again. Lambo all the way! If you are at $160k you should spend a little more and get the LP640!

:iamwithstupid:

couldn't of said it better myself.

I believe the LP640 is miles ahead of the regular Murcie. The only issue is he is looking for a fully depreciated car. I think a $150k-$160k LP640 coupe will have some further depreciation once the new Murcie comes out.

Since you are not afraid of miles from what I have seen, there was an 06 murcie roadster on eBay for high $150's. If you knock some off of that price, I think it would be a good deal. Of course following a thourough PPI, and if the car has a detailed service history, and good clutch life left.

Had 2 Murcielagos and 1 LP560.

G is way cheaper than M for service and parts. M is roughly 100% more in terms of maintenance cost in my experience.

The M is not the easiest car to maneuver around town. In fact driving it around the city isn't particularly fun.

That said I will never buy another G. The G is superior in every way except it's too small for me. I don't mean that I'm a big guy because I'm not (6'1", 185lbs) I just mean I dislike small cars and seem to gravitate towards bigger cars (Bentley, SLR, Murcie, etc.).

I disagree with the driveability issue. I had no problems or did not feel uncomfortable driving a Murci in town.

With that said I do think the G is a better car as far as handling, braking, build, etc are.

Where the Gallardo e-gear cluthes have gotten pretty strong over the year you can't say the same for an 06 Murci. I wouldn't expect to get more than 10-12k out of a clutch.

However, I did keep my Murci for a long time and absolutely loved the car. Despite its imperfections it is an awesome car.

I disagree with the driveability issue. I had no problems or did not feel uncomfortable driving a Murci in town.

With that said I do think the G is a better car as far as handling, braking, build, etc are.

Where the Gallardo e-gear cluthes have gotten pretty strong over the year you can't say the same for an 06 Murci. I wouldn't expect to get more than 10-12k out of a clutch.

However, I did keep my Murci for a long time and absolutely loved the car. Despite its imperfections it is an awesome car.

I think a member here got more than 36.000 km out of a clutch on his Murci.

And I agree with you that the Murci is an awesome car, but it is old.

I think a member here got more than 36.000 km out of a clutch on his Murci.

And I agree with you that the Murci is an awesome car, but it is old.

Probably a manual. I know my clutch was toast after 12k miles.

I agree with Porter 100%.

I do not use my Murcie as a daily driver so I want something rare = Murcie, also get alot more looks than my G...it is harder to drive being a larger car but I do not like the regular doors on the G (just not a Lamborghini to me, since I had a diablo before the G and would have taken the Diablo SV over the G).

I agree. I went from Gallardo to Murci to Gallardo SE and now back to Murci.

Having had 2 Gallardo coupes, 2G spyders, 1 Murci, 1 LP640 roadster, 1 560 here is my perspective:

The Gallardo is by far a more up-to-date car relative to the Murci. It's level of advancement far outshines the murci. The 560 more so. As a car thats nimble and fun to drive, the G/560 is light years ahead. Having gone from an LP640 to a 560 the 560 blows the doors imho off the LP 640 when it comes to "joy of driving". Of all these cars, reliability has never been an issue to me. The 560 is a modern exotic that meets/exceeds the requirements and expectations that one would expect in this class of car for todays buyer into the exotic vehicle segment- at least for a bit longer... ( see below). And, its priced well.

But the Murci has 1 thing over the G and it is a BIG "1 thing". It has a curb appeal that the G/560 cannot compete as a result of its shear size./ cool doors It has a presence driving or parked on the road that can't be beat. But thats it.

So, if you are looking for the "trophy looking" mate with less intellect, go for a Murci. Otherwise, 560 is it.

As a side note, when the new murci replacement comes out- It will undoubtably resolve these downfalls that the Murci has making it the exotic to own. The perfect mate inside and out. I will take one please :)

Having had 2 Gallardo coupes, 2G spyders, 1 Murci, 1 LP640 roadster, 1 560 here is my perspective:

The Gallardo is by far a more up-to-date car relative to the Murci. It's level of advancement far outshines the murci. The 560 more so. As a car thats nimble and fun to drive, the G/560 is light years ahead. Having gone from an LP640 to a 560 the 560 blows the doors imho off the LP 640 when it comes to "joy of driving". Of all these cars, reliability has never been an issue to me. The 560 is a modern exotic that meets/exceeds the requirements and expectations that one would expect in this class of car for todays buyer into the exotic vehicle segment- at least for a bit longer... ( see below). And, its priced well.

But the Murci has 1 thing over the G and it is a BIG "1 thing". It has a curb appeal that the G/560 cannot compete as a result of its shear size./ cool doors It has a presence driving or parked on the road that can't be beat. But thats it.

So, if you are looking for the "trophy looking" mate with less intellect, go for a Murci. Otherwise, 560 is it.

As a side note, when the new murci replacement comes out- It will undoubtably resolve these downfalls that the Murci has making it the exotic to own. The perfect mate inside and out. I will take one please :)

100% agree, good post.