Got stopped by a cop - wasn't doing anything illegal...

cake

I had been out of town for a few days and when I got home yesterday the weather was perfect for a drive. I missed the Lambo and took it for a spin.

I was stopped at a red light. Very little traffic was around. It turned green. I got on it for a quick start but didn't spin wheels or do anything illegal. The road was a 40 mph speed limit. I got it up to 45 in a heartbeat and then leveled off. A big SUV passed me going at least 50, and then I see the flashing lights in the rear view.

The cop had come from a cross street at the red light. He crossed in front of me and I saw him look at the car. He must have gone to the first U turn point in order to follow me, but I know he had to go a little distance before he could turn around. Obviously he did so quickly to know that I took off a bit fast from the light (it's my usual SOP to take off fast - the car does not like slow starts, and WTF - I'm driving a LAMBO - I'm SUPPOSED to let it breath a bit).

So I turn on my signal but don't pull over right away cause the shoulder is narrow with gravel - so I go another 3/4 mile and pull off on a little side road.

He comes up to me and...

Ofcr: " You took off pretty quick my dear. This thing is wicked."

Me: "Yes I did - sorry".

Him: "Where you headed"?

Me: "Just wanted to go for a ride, charge up the battery"

Him: "Well....you might need to let me test drive it in order to get out of a ticket"

At this point I'm trying to think of the best reply. Don't wanna let him drive it. Don't wanna piss him off.

Me - smiling "Well - THAT'S a first!" then I laugh

Him: "Oh - just joking with you - I just wanted to check you out - this is a beautiful car. I'm not going to give you a ticket"

Anyhow - he did ask to see my license (which I showed him) and then said to have a nice evening.

It was a bit un-nerving to have a cop stop me for no reason, then say I have to let him drive my car so I don't get a ticket. I didn't know he was joking until he said so. I felt rather vulnerable in that brief moment and am glad he was a nice guy and a car enthusiast who just wanted to admire the lambo.

In the 3/4 mile that he followed me I pulled my wallet out of my purse and had it on the seat next to me. In my purse was a revolver, and I didn't want him to see it (even though I was perfectly legal in carrying) - but I figured it would change the tone of the stop.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds more like a movie Capt. wants to act out with you.

Glad you didn't have any hassle though! :)

:lol2: :lol2:

This happens all the time though, it's almost expected unless you live in an area that is saturated with exotics and it's not such a big deal.

FYi the restraining order was taken out by me.

Where do you live?

I know in NM you can get stopped for (abuse of HP) and what you did sounds like it would qualify for that.

And I couldn't imagine what would happen if you didnt tell a officer about a concealed firearm!

Sounds like the cops now Adams are getting their training from YouTube where it's okay to abuse Lambo owners.....just watch out for the elbow to the head.

Where do you live?

I know in NM you can get stopped for (abuse of HP) and what you did sounds like it would qualify for that.

And I couldn't imagine what would happen if you didnt tell a officer about a concealed firearm!

I live near Pittsburgh PA (a northern suburb) and you're right - I should have mentioned the firearm...

I was ready to say something if the conversation took a more "official/serious" tone...

Once me and my buddies were driving somewhere and the non drivers were drinking. We get pulled over and lines up. The cop was totally hot.

She grabbed my crotch and asked if I had a concealed weapon.

Then later I became friends with my enemy after a big wreck and won NASCAR.

Then I married Nicole Kidman and Scientology is real!

Ya, in Ohio the first words out of your mouth have to be, "I have a concealed carry permit and I have a concealed weapon in the car".

I can see how that would be unnerving; at least no forearm shiver to the back of the head whilst you're on the ground!

Once me and my buddies were driving somewhere and the non drivers were drinking. We get pulled over and lines up. The cop was totally hot.

She grabbed my crotch and asked if I had a concealed weapon.

Then later I became friends with my enemy after a big wreck and won NASCAR.

Then I married Nicole Kidman and Scientology is real!

:lol2:

I had been out of town for a few days and when I got home yesterday the weather was perfect for a drive. I missed the Lambo and took it for a spin.

I was stopped at a red light. Very little traffic was around. It turned green. I got on it for a quick start but didn't spin wheels or do anything illegal. The road was a 40 mph speed limit. I got it up to 45 in a heartbeat and then leveled off. A big SUV passed me going at least 50, and then I see the flashing lights in the rear view.

The cop had come from a cross street at the red light. He crossed in front of me and I saw him look at the car. He must have gone to the first U turn point in order to follow me, but I know he had to go a little distance before he could turn around. Obviously he did so quickly to know that I took off a bit fast from the light (it's my usual SOP to take off fast - the car does not like slow starts, and WTF - I'm driving a LAMBO - I'm SUPPOSED to let it breath a bit).

So I turn on my signal but don't pull over right away cause the shoulder is narrow with gravel - so I go another 3/4 mile and pull off on a little side road.

He comes up to me and...

Ofcr: " You took off pretty quick my dear. This thing is wicked."

Me: "Yes I did - sorry".

Him: "Where you headed"?

Me: "Just wanted to go for a ride, charge up the battery"

Him: "Well....you might need to let me test drive it in order to get out of a ticket"

At this point I'm trying to think of the best reply. Don't wanna let him drive it. Don't wanna piss him off.

Me - smiling "Well - THAT'S a first!" then I laugh

Him: "Oh - just joking with you - I just wanted to check you out - this is a beautiful car. I'm not going to give you a ticket"

Anyhow - he did ask to see my license (which I showed him) and then said to have a nice evening.

It was a bit un-nerving to have a cop stop me for no reason, then say I have to let him drive my car so I don't get a ticket. I didn't know he was joking until he said so. I felt rather vulnerable in that brief moment and am glad he was a nice guy and a car enthusiast who just wanted to admire the lambo.

In the 3/4 mile that he followed me I pulled my wallet out of my purse and had it on the seat next to me. In my purse was a revolver, and I didn't want him to see it (even though I was perfectly legal in carrying) - but I figured it would change the tone of the stop.

In the end.. fcuk him .. What business does he have to waste your time cause he wants to look at a car.. Go to the car dealer if you wanna see it..

I live near Pittsburgh PA (a northern suburb) and you're right

Great...so I have this to look forward to this summer :(

And a buddy of mine has a concealed carry in Atlanta and these are the exact words he was told to say too...

"I have a concealed carry permit and I have a concealed weapon in the car".

On a related note Cake - remind me to talk to you about getting a cc permit.

Better than hearing "please sign this ticket as an acknowledgment of receipt but not guilt..." :icon_thumleft:

And Cake, you don't have a CCW but were packin' in your purse!??!?!?!?! :shock:

This is why your my hero carol! You drive a Lamborghini packing!

FYI (you seem to know this but for everyone else) you don't have a duty to inform in pa while carrying! Hell, you can open carry while on foot with no license (pa is the best for firearm laws)

FYI (you seem to know this but for everyone else) you don't have a duty to inform in pa while carrying! Hell, you can open carry while on foot with no license (pa is the best for firearm laws)

You can open carry just about everywhere. It's the concealed carry that's strict most places! :)

hahahaha

FYi the restraining order was taken out by me.

:lol2: :lol2: :offtopic: :lol2:

Sucks that the cop wasted your time, who cares if you got on it a bit. Another reason why owning an exotic can be a pain in the ass.

Yes - I agree. I haven't reached the point you did, in terms of owning an exotic. For me - the fun still outweighs the PITA moments (even after last night's stop).

Thanks Dave

In the end.. fcuk him .. What business does he have to waste your time cause he wants to look at a car.. Go to the car dealer if you wanna see it..

You are absolutely right. That occurred to me - but I wasn't gonna mouth off and risk pissing him off. I will assume that if I was snippy about asking for a legit reason for being stopped - I'm lighting a fuse I don't want to light.

But it's absolutely an abuse of police power and completely inappropriate.

And a buddy of mine has a concealed carry in Atlanta and these are the exact words he was told to say too...

"I have a concealed carry permit and I have a concealed weapon in the car".

Getting the CCW permit in PA is EASY - one of the reasons we love living here! Since we're in Butler county it was quite simple. If you are in Allegheny it may be less convenient but it's still not a big deal. But be ready for them to check every reference (they did with us).

Better than hearing "please sign this ticket as an acknowledgment of receipt but not guilt..." :icon_thumleft:

And Cake, you don't have a CCW but were packin' in your purse!??!?!?!?! :shock:

I agree - much better to hear "hey I wanted to check out the car" than the alternative.

I do have a CCW.

hotties in lambo getting pulled over? surely this isn't your first :)

my gf got that also in her maserati.

it must be unnerving to say the least. it's another reason to get tinted window - privacy goes a long way.

hotties in lambo getting pulled over? surely this isn't your first :)

my gf got that also in her maserati.

it must be unnerving to say the least. it's another reason to get tinted window - privacy goes a long way.

Yes - my first (and thanks)

:iamwithstupid:

Sucks that the cop wasted your time, who cares if you got on it a bit. Another reason why owning an exotic can be a pain in the ass.

:iamwithstupid:

That whole situation sucked! Sorry about that Carol.

BUT and this is a big one.....

You have a responsibility to let the officer know that you have a weapon. If something would have happened and he noticed it on his own, you would have been in a world of trouble.

Better safe than sorry.

That whole situation sucked! Sorry about that Carol.

BUT and this is a big one.....

You have a responsibility to let the officer know that you have a weapon. If something would have happened and he noticed it on his own, you would have been in a world of trouble.

Better safe than sorry.

John - in PA we are not required to declare a CCW. Had I been asked to step out of the car I absolutely would have told him.

I went on some firearms forums to find out what people do in the case where one is not required to declare. It seems split. Many say it's good to declare anyway - that it shows you are being "up front".

I'm not so sure that volunteering ANYTHING, even to a "nice" officer, is smart. I've read enough to see that just about anything can come back to bite you - and my position is: be polite, answer what is asked but no more. And answering what is asked gets tricky cause sometimes they ask a question you are not REQUIRED to answer - and then it's a fine line with how far you want to go to declare your "rights".

I hate to piss off a cop but I also don't want my rights trampled on. It's my responsibility to understand the law. I think it gets dicey when a citizen is trying to protect their rights and a law enforcement officer is trying to abuse my rights.