UFC DISCUSSION NWS!

porter

Thanks Placid. That TJ payday is...terrible...wow...for an ex-champion...I'd switch up my agent ASAP...has to get that cheese up.

Wondering what kind of PPV deal Brock got. He made LOTS of money on Saturday...dang...

-Olivier

I was thinking the exact same thing. How does an ex-champ get near the worst payday of all the participants on that card. I know the UFC has other ways of paying their talent, but still, a decent base would be expected for Dillashaw.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Julianna Pena defeated Cat Zingano? WOW. Cat herself defeated Amanda Nunes in the past, and I remember when Pena was just a competitor on TUF. Everyone thought Shayna Baszler would destroy her, now Pena just defeated the woman who was supposed to be her coach (Miesha Tate coached her team, but only because Cat Zingano was in surgery for her knee at the time). Now Pena is defeating Cat Zingano. Pena is saying she'll "ragdoll" Nunes (I guess they are scheduled to fight next), that will be interesting, because if she defeats Nunes, that means she defeated the girl who defeated her coach (and friend as she and Miesha are from the same area).

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the volatility of these UFC belts never seems to end. Lawler got first-round KO'd by Woodley.

Damn, missed it. Seems like with MMA any fighter can legitimately defeat/upset any other fighter (within reason of course) on any given day. Lawler looks unbeatable most of the time yet he now has 11 losses. Crazy fight game!

Well, the volatility of these UFC belts never seems to end. Lawler got first-round KO'd by Woodley.

It really puts Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and especially GPS's dominance in perspective.

Not forgetting Mighty Mouse or Ronda, but they do have much thinner divisions. Being champion for 4-5 years is something we'll probably never see again (?).

It really puts Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and especially GPS's dominance in perspective.

Not forgetting Mighty Mouse or Ronda, but they do have much thinner divisions. Being champion for 4-5 years is something we'll probably never see again (?).

And out of those 3 you mentioned, two of them popped for PEDs, while the last one, GSP, quit the sport complaining about his competitors being on PEDs and wanting the sport to be cleaned. Jury is still out if he DID take PEDs, but if he did not, he most likely faced a murderers row of guys who were on PEDs. As you say, really puts his dominance in perspective, ESPECIALLY if he did it clean.

-Olivier

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good card tonight, some very interesting fights!

Conor McTappor vs. Nate Diaz - I have a feeling this will go like the first fight; Conor chasing that early KO. If he doesn't get it, Nate will pick him apart. Nate will maybe clinch more and go for takedowns, I've got Nate in RD3 by water bottle to face.

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira - Rumble by KO in RD1.

Rick Story vs. Donald Cerrone - UD for Cowboy.

What bullshit judging! I know Nevada judges are instructed not to give 10-10 or 9-9 rounds, but Conor did not win 3 rounds in any book. After 1.5 rounds Conor was in survivalmode, with limited success in rd 4. How can any sane judge give 3 rounds to McGregor?

Either way, McGregor can (apparently) barely get past a mediocre lightweight, he gassed badly and the decision was a godsend for him. I guess this makes a lot of sense economically though...

Pretty good card tonight, some very interesting fights!

Conor McTappor vs. Nate Diaz - I have a feeling this will go like the first fight; Conor chasing that early KO. If he doesn't get it, Nate will pick him apart. Nate will maybe clinch more and go for takedowns, I've got Nate in RD3 by water bottle to face.

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira - Rumble by KO in RD1.

Rick Story vs. Donald Cerrone - UD for Cowboy.

In regards to my other predictions...

Cowboy did a lot better than I expected, I hope going down to 155 is not a mistake for him!

And Rumble...!!! Well I said rd 1 but did not expect that. That guy is a fcuking freight train!

I think the call was right! Diaz only had some success when Conor faded in the second. After that they were pretty much even but those early knockdowns and Diaz's face sealed the fight.

Rumble is phenomenal.

Diaz won 3 and 5, McGregor 1 and 4. Round 2 was a question mark, after watching it a second time Diaz had success only near the end, I can see why the judges scored it McGregor.

I personally have no interest in a trilogy, and similar to what McGregor said post-fight, there's not a ton of interest in another fight with Aldo.

Fun card, Rumble looked great again.

KNOCKED HIS TOOTH OUT! That shit is crazy!

OMG, I thought the same thing. That punch was nasty, I'm surprised his jaw wasn't broken after that.

Was never a fan of UFC, but I'm slowly becoming one.

McGregor won that fight Mayweather style. It was a good fight, very entertaining. Was rooting for Diaz though, I don't like McGregor. Being good and humble one thing, cocky and good I hate. He seems like he would be a good boxer.

OMG, I thought the same thing. That punch was nasty, I'm surprised his jaw wasn't broken after that.

Was never a fan of UFC, but I'm slowly becoming one.

McGregor won that fight Mayweather style. It was a good fight, very entertaining. Was rooting for Diaz though, I don't like McGregor. Being good and humble one thing, cocky and good I hate. He seems like he would be a good boxer.

He was the Irish boxing champion. He has a lot of confidence in himself as well as being cocky. He has taken the sport to the next level. The top athletes are being paid more than they have ever made. It was a great fight. It was a win for both.

It's mostly an act. He's said before that money fights never happened in his division and he single handedly changed that in a big way!

Great fight! I thought Diaz won :s

• 4 months later...

How about that RR performance last night guys? :lol2: Have you ever seen someone look so lost and confused as a professional fighter? Media blackout prior the fight, and media blackout after the fight.

Cody surprised a lot of people, his movement especially. He did a great job taking over Dominick's role and dodging the damage. Dominick was very humble in defeat and had great words to share after his loss at the post presser. Great champion IMO and I think he will be back.

TJD looked outstanding as usual. Him and Cody will be a very fun fight and I am sure the media is going to thrive off of the rivalry that will ensue between them leading up to the fight.

How about that RR performance last night guys? :lol2: Have you ever seen someone look so lost and confused as a professional fighter? Media blackout prior the fight, and media blackout after the fight.

She should have switched coaches forever ago. Her standup game has always looked awkward like she has no clue what to do. Luckily for her it took WMMA a few years to get catch up, so she dominated on grappling and just her name.

She's hopefully done and on suicide watch.

Holly Holm exposed Ronda as a very weak striker, so her opponents now know somewhat how to train to fight her. I do wonder though if it is lack of skill on Ronda's part or more psychological. I mean she should have been able to make some kind of improvement in her boxing since the Holm defeat. Holm got her butt kicked when a boxer and then came back seven months later and beat said opponent.

A very informative series of articles I had read right after the defeat to Holly Holm was that Ronda's method of attack was always to bull-rush, eat a few punches, clinch up, and then use her superior judo skills to defeat her opponents. This worked okay early-on as most of the women's fighters had no idea how to box, but the thing is, if you do the same thing over and over again, eventually you will run into an opponent who has studied your specific method of attack and learned how to counter it. Ronda ran into this with Holly Holm, who just let Ronda come to her, and who, being a highly-skilled boxer, just used her boxing skills to hit Ronda constantly, and anyone knows that one of the worst things you can do is bull-rush a boxer. Holly also had clinching skills developed enough to counter Ronda when they clinched. What is interesting with this fight is that Amanda Nunes didn't adhere to that method of fighting like Holly. She instead went on the attack against Ronda, just like she did with Miesha, very aggressive.

I am surprised that Ronda didn't do the customary sportsmanship hand touch that so many MMA fighters do with Nunes. Nunes seems to be pretty classy. She was very classy with Miesha I remember and then she held out her hand to Ronda initially when they first went out to fight, but Ronda, either out of rudeness or nervousness, didn't return the gesture. Ronda was acting rather like a big bully when Holly Holm beat her up, but one would think she would have garnered some class since then.

She should have switched coaches forever ago. Her standup game has always looked awkward like she has no clue what to do. Luckily for her it took WMMA a few years to get catch up, so she dominated on grappling and just her name.

She's hopefully done and on suicide watch.

IMO she has some real daddy issues and Edmond Tarverdyan is like a father figure to her, but she is unfortunately too naïve/stupid to see how he has been using her and also badly set her up for failure, doing things like telling her she could beat professional women's boxing champions at their own game. He also I am assuming set the other "Horsewomen" up for failure as well.