UFC DISCUSSION NWS!

porter

I felt like a bad Irishman cheering for Diaz, which I can honestly say was the first time I can actually recall rooting for a Diaz brother.

Conor got exposed in some regards. He generally fights as one of the biggest in his class. Moving up to 170 shows what happens when he fights someone bigger than him. Talk of him challenging for the 170 title were hopefully simply talk. Rory MacGregor, Carlos Condit and Lawler would all annihilate him. I know this is a bit of MMAth, but see what Rory did to Nate in their match when Nate had a full camp. I could only imagine how badly McGregor would get beat vs Rory.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I felt like a bad Irishman cheering for Diaz, which I can honestly say was the first time I can actually recall rooting for a Diaz brother.

Conor got exposed in some regards. He generally fights as one of the biggest in his class. Moving up to 170 shows what happens when he fights someone bigger than him. Talk of him challenging for the 170 title were hopefully simply talk. Rory MacGregor, Carlos Condit and Lawler would all annihilate him. I know this is a bit of MMAth, but see what Rory did to Nate in their match when Nate had a full camp. I could only imagine how badly McGregor would get beat vs Rory.

Why do people keep saying he was bigger than him. They both weighed the same at the weigh in they both fight at a lot lower weight than 170 ( Nate fights at 155, Conor 145 and was going to fight 155 for the fight with dos anjos) the inky difference here is both fighters didn't cut weight but they both weigh the same!

I'm really happy for Nate. Hopefully Dana will give him some exposure and not dumping him like they are Holmes

The UFC is dumping Holly Holm you mean?

Why do people keep saying he was bigger than him. They both weighed the same at the weigh in they both fight at a lot lower weight than 170 ( Nate fights at 155, Conor 145 and was going to fight 155 for the fight with dos anjos) the inky difference here is both fighters didn't cut weight but they both weigh the same!

This. People think because nate has a few inches on him that he's bigger. both guys are legit 155 lb guys. The word is that MCG intends to go back to 145; I am not sure that will go as planned. Many guys that gain some size to bulk up are not as effective going back down. Roy Jones had this same problem after moving up to fight John Ruiz, lost some of his speed etc with the extra mass.

This. People think because nate has a few inches on him that he's bigger. both guys are legit 155 lb guys. The word is that MCG intends to go back to 145; I am not sure that will go as planned. Many guys that gain some size to bulk up are not as effective going back down. Roy Jones had this same problem after moving up to fight John Ruiz, lost some of his speed etc with the extra mass.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was that Nate was bigger than most of Connor's prior competitors. And that size impacted Connor's effectiveness and usual power advantage. That they were the same size isn't material.

Like I said, I was cheering for Nate. I think Nate wins that match 9/10 times, especially with a full training camp. Even at 155 I think Nate win.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was that Nate was bigger than most of Connor's prior competitors. And that size impacted Connor's effectiveness and usual power advantage. That they were the same size isn't material.

Like I said, I was cheering for Nate. I think Nate wins that match 9/10 times, especially with a full training camp. Even at 155 I think Nate win.

If you mean bigger as in height yes, if you mean bigger in weight no. They all cut Weight as you know

• 1 month later...

We shall see. Smells like a Dana Conor argument over money, I am sure more will come out in the next few days.

In other news, Bones vs. OSP coming up. If Bones has his mind straight, this should be a JBJ highlight reel.

More on the McGregor thing -

1. McGregor was in the crowd a week ago when his teammate killed a fighter in Dublin http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/12/11413...loss-in-ireland

2. Prior to the UFC calling, McGregor had effectively decided to give up MMA. He had two belts in another organization, he felt he had nothing else to prove.

• 1 month later...

Great card last night. Bisping the new middleweight champ, knocked out Cockhold in the first. The post presser was hilarious, the two had to be separated. My love for Bisping has gone up 100% in the past 24 hours, good for him, shows on any night one punch can change history.

Cruz looked good too.

Lesnar apparently fighting at UFC 200, no doubt Dana's power move to try to break records. Couldn't get GSP or McGregor or Rousey, Brock makes sense from a PPV perspective.

Every title has now changed hands in the past year except Might Mouse at fly. That kid is incredible.

Interesting times in the UFC. 200 in three weeks should be great.

Some amazing fights last night, even the first fight of the night was a barn burner!

And respect to Hendo, that old man is a legend. He should retire like he said he might, he's got nothing more to prove.

Max Holloway needs a title shot, holy shit on the Brian Ortega KO of Jesus, and Bruce LeRoy looked really good also.

Bisping FTW, Rockhold really fucked up, can't underestimate anybody in this game.

Agree with all of the above. UFC 200 thus looks stacked:

Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones for light heavweight belt

Meisha "Power Jugs" Tate vs. Nunes for chick belt

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar for interim featherweight belt

Cain vs. Travis Browne

Cat Zingano vs. Pena

Jonny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum

TJ Dillashaw vs. Assuncao

Sage Northcutt vs. Marin

Mousasi vs. Brunson

Diego "Yes" Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon

Miller vs. Gomi

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt has just been added

http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc200?id=

It's going to be a phenomenal card. I can't wait to watch it!!!

wait...oh yeah right...my GF's best friend is turning 30 that week-end and I'm stuck partying with them instead... :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

and btw porter, JJ never really did lose his title...so...small caveat there...but yeah, impressive amount of title changes for sure.

It's going to be a phenomenal card. I can't wait to watch it!!!

wait...oh yeah right...my GF's best friend is turning 30 that week-end and I'm stuck partying with them instead... :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

and btw porter, JJ never really did lose his title...so...small caveat there...but yeah, impressive amount of title changes for sure.

Keeping the peace with your GF is always a solid choice my friend :icon_thumleft:

Technically he lost his title, he was stripped, he lost to himself, new champ Cormier as you know... semantics anyway... but good caveat for sure. Jones has only one DQ loss to Hamill due to 12 to 6 strikes, that said, he needs to watch himself. He looked not impressive against OSP, Cormier isn't a slouch, I could easily see Jones losing by close decision.

Will get this card for sure. Besides the freakshow allure of Lesnar going through the motions then collecting what is rumored to be a 10MM paycheck, the entire card is solid and there really is no undercard per se.

Here's hoping we get a great evening of scraps and Meisha Tate has a wardrobe malfunction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Idiot Jones pissed hot, out of UFC 200.

Soooo.... strike 29?

Worst situation for 200 for sure. Was to be a great fight. Very disappointed in Bones. Bad financial turn for DC, loses purse and PPV points, probably lost a few million bucks.

Will be interesting to see what the violation was. http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/7/12115448/...title-fight-mma

As I think about... USADA doesn't test for recreational drugs out of competition I think? That means he got busted for PEDs which is odd. We know he's a weed monger and likes coking out, but this is different. Why the chemical edge? Doesn't make sense...

That said nothing with this guy makes sense. Too many chances, fucked up his prime fighting years...