IPB

X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aventador, Needs New Style Transmission (DCT IMO)
kinnsella
post May 14 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #41

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 13,077

QUOTE (Fortis @ May 14 2018, 02:15 PM) *
This is so damn funny, history has a funny way of repeating itself or I must be able to predict the future LOL

I always said that once manual is extinct from the exotics world the single clutch tranny will be viewed and worshipped by diehard fans just as the manual was, same like with a manual, if you don’t like the single clutch for some reason you aren’t man enough LOL ohh my car in the past was so hard to drive that I needed to wake up at 6 am if I wanted to get it in gear by 8 am, I had to call one of my friends to help me stomp on the clutch pedal so I can get it into gear! I am hairy chested AF! ��

You must be cool with something which you considered flawed and in your opinion compromised in order to safeguard your masculinity.

It’s a matter of preference, I prefer the DCT over the single clutch because during normal driving isn’t as clunky and unpredictable, sit at a set of lights in a million dollar car with tens of eyeballs on you and you don’t know if the god damn thing will shift into first this time or just be stubborn enough not to do it and just sit there in neutral for a bit.

The other thing I dislike about it is the way it distabilises the car under heavy load, when it kicks in it almost twists the steering wheel in your hand, at high speed in particular if you turn into sweeping corners it’s quite unsettling, I guess it depends on the style of driving you are doing, high speed straight line on highways no issues, high speed spirited driving in the twisties not as fun.

There is a reason why they are updating it and trying to make it smoother with every new model, trying to make it more like a DCT icon_mrgreen.gif

Anyway buy and drive what you like this debate will never end!

I disagree, manuals and DCT have been perfected. Single clutches were a purely transitionary technology that never really "worked". I don't think anyone will be opining single clutches in 20 years. I have driven several early Aventadors and I thought they all sucked primarily because of the transmission. I never got the "rawness" take, I just didn't think they worked very well. E gear Gallardos and Murcis were even worse.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Supercar Ace
post May 14 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #42

Jedi Ninja

Member No.: 8,919

QUOTE (Fortis @ May 14 2018, 02:15 PM) *
This is so damn funny, history has a funny way of repeating itself or I must be able to predict the future LOL

Fortis, how many times do I have to tell you that you are the Resident Sage of L Power my friend?

--------------------

- Without Fear -

Top Gear: In eleven years at the company you’ve met a huge number of your customers, can you tell us what a typical Lamborghini owner is like?

Stephan Winkleman: It seems very superficial, but it’s really male. Usually, they’re all self-made men – ranging from those in the 20s right up to men in their 70s. They’re very proud of their product, and they have no fear to be seen in a car like this.

And when I speak to them, I feel that they buy into a world, not only into a product. So it’s also a lifestyle, an idea they see behind that. And they enjoy the car as something that is rewarding them for the hard work they’re doing, or a dream that came true after, say, saving for 20 years.
+Quote Post
CHADW
post May 14 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #43

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 8,402

If you think the Aventador egear is cool, try pulling a couple spark plug wires off. You’ll love the “rawness” from the engine too.
+Quote Post
Smurf Balls
post May 14 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 10,482

QUOTE (CHADW @ May 15 2018, 01:20 AM) *
If you think the Aventador egear is cool, try pulling a couple spark plug wires off. You’ll love the “rawness” from the engine too.

icon_mrgreen.gif

--------------------

A car and a horse have a lot in common. Time does not stop just because you have put them in their stall. They need the same care whether you use them or not.
+Quote Post
Smash Boy
post May 14 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #45

PE

Member No.: 1,098

I still feel there's still good salvage value for single clutch transmissions for race track use, especially on dedicated race cars.

I've been meaning to do a write up on LP of a recent track drive in Bahrain of a Renault Clio Cup Car and a Radical SR1......for the time being I'll comment on the their transmissions.

The Renault uses paddle shifters, with dog clutch box and single clutch system (with clutch pedal). The Radical uses a Hayabusa sequential manual transmission with paddles, and clutch pedal (along with a Busa engine); you only use the clutch to get the car moving and when you want to bring it to a stop.

They shift very fast and pretty smoothly too. Granted the entire experience is about at the limit driving, but there was a 5-->2 corner I would take in the Radical time after time clicking off downshifts and it was amazing.....fast, super smooth, no unsettling of the car.

I would imagine it's the racing clutch that is making the difference here along with the driving style, two things that wouldn't make it on a production car. For as great as it was performance wise, slipping the clutch was pretty challenging. I haven't stalled that many times since I learned how to drive....no street exotic is anywhere this hard to get moving. lol.gif

For a pure dedicated race car, I imagine these transmissions are cheaper and more straightforward than a dual clutch so IMO I think single clutch will exist in the racing world for awhile.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post May 15 2018, 12:27 AM
Post #46

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

QUOTE (kinnsella @ May 15 2018, 07:57 AM) *
I disagree, manuals and DCT have been perfected. Single clutches were a purely transitionary technology that never really "worked". I don't think anyone will be opining single clutches in 20 years. I have driven several early Aventadors and I thought they all sucked primarily because of the transmission. I never got the "rawness" take, I just didn't think they worked very well. E gear Gallardos and Murcis were even worse.

I think maybe it didn’t come across properly, what I am saying is happening now, you have the diehard fans of the singles clutches acting in a similar way manual fans were acting when the manuals were on their way out, fans will never see eye to eye when it comes to transmission it’s best to buy what you love.

BTW I agree with you and feel exactly the same as you do about the single clutches.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post May 15 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

QUOTE (Supercar Ace @ May 15 2018, 08:49 AM) *
Fortis, how many times do I have to tell you that you are the Resident Sage of L Power my friend?

lol.gif

Thank you my friend, I am starting to have few grays sad.gif
+Quote Post
kinnsella
post May 15 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,077

QUOTE (Smash Boy @ May 14 2018, 09:02 PM) *
For a pure dedicated race car, I imagine these transmissions are cheaper and more straightforward than a dual clutch so IMO I think single clutch will exist in the racing world for awhile.

I agree, they came out of F1 in the early 90's. They are also lighter than a comparable DCT.
+Quote Post
Supercar Ace
post May 15 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #49

Jedi Ninja

Member No.: 8,919

QUOTE (Fortis @ May 15 2018, 01:59 AM) *
lol.gif

Thank you my friend, I am starting to have few grays sad.gif

When you post this is what I imagine you look like:

--------------------

- Without Fear -

Top Gear: In eleven years at the company you’ve met a huge number of your customers, can you tell us what a typical Lamborghini owner is like?

Stephan Winkleman: It seems very superficial, but it’s really male. Usually, they’re all self-made men – ranging from those in the 20s right up to men in their 70s. They’re very proud of their product, and they have no fear to be seen in a car like this.

And when I speak to them, I feel that they buy into a world, not only into a product. So it’s also a lifestyle, an idea they see behind that. And they enjoy the car as something that is rewarding them for the hard work they’re doing, or a dream that came true after, say, saving for 20 years.
+Quote Post
13MM
post May 15 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 6,452

Most racing transmissions are constant mesh types. Also found on most motorcycles. Like said clutch only required for take off and stopping. Only need to lift throttle or ignition kill to upshift.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post May 16 2018, 04:48 AM
Post #51

Group Icon

QUOTE (Supercar Ace @ May 16 2018, 07:47 AM) *
When you post this is what I imagine you look like:

lol.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 11:25 AM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag