Veyron

LV Eric

The Veyron may become legendary. It will be very hard to get a higher top speed in the future. 40 years from now, it may be a high water mark for HP and speed. When gas is $5/gal in the US and $10 elsewhere no one will make another Veyron and your car will be a classic. Compared to an Enzo it even seems a bargain from a performance standpoint.

It is harder to get a higher top speed but if speed is what its all about:

Veyron: > $1mm

0-60 mph: 2.9 sec

0-100 mph: 6.0 sec

0-150 mph: 11.0 sec

0-200 mph: 22.0 sec

Top speed: 253 mph

Hennessey Viper Venom 1000: $225K

0-100 mph: 5.9 sec

0-150 mph: 10.9 sec

0-200 mph: 19.9 sec

Top Speed: 255 mph

Yes, that is not a production car but this is just as a sanity check. Both have comparable horsepower.

As for the other question about if there are any McLaren F1s for sale, Silicon Valley Auto Group says one is coming up "for sale soon" on their web site (a yellow one). They sold another one relatively recently. The one that looks like its coming up doesn't look like the stripped out racing version (one of those was up for sale recently).

In my humble opinion, the Veyron would keep a premium but if the McLaren F1 is a comparable, its original price was just over a million (1995) and now ten years later they are going for a million. I believe the last sale at Christies was at that price.

The Veyron is one beautiful car. I was looking at cars with a younger female and of all the cars looked at, the Veyron was her favorite as far as sheer looks. She didn't know anything about price, speed, drive, etc.

I like the Veyron more and more.I will eventually get one but i can think of many cars before i get to the Veyron

I was looking at cars with a younger female and of all the cars looked at, the Veyron was her favorite as far as sheer looks. She didn't know anything about price, speed, drive, etc.

:worthless

Why do I have the feeling that we will not be disapointed ?

:mrgreen:

(Sorry about the hijack, Eric)

I think the Veyron will be the new reference for a VERY long time, just like the McLaren F1 was. What I like about this car is the way it set a new benchmark in hyper-performance cars. Think of it this way:

The Enzo, even if it has VERY good performance figures, still did not dethrone the F1 in top speed, acceleration, looks (even if subjective), which IMO, is considered a failure.

The SLR is a beautiful car (subjective), has a crappy interior (style and quality), looks too much like the SL, and has good, but far from spectacular performance numbers from a car that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the brand.

The Carrera GT is one of the most beautiful cars produced ever IMO, but again, lacks the little something that would make it the "have-to-get" model. Good performance, but nothing extraordinairy.

The 3 cars are good, but they are too similar in terms of performance and target market.

The Veyron on the other hand, just came in the scene and declared war to everyone, at the same time, and beat them. And it's not like the other manufacturers did not have a look at it before hand. Mr. Piech (spelling?) made it quite clear many YEARS ago what he wanted, and set a bunch of engineers to accomplish it, and beat everyone at it. Of course, it might not have been the goal of Ferrari, Porsche or MB to beat the Bugatti in straightline, but the Veyron still made it very clear that it set a new standard in the hyper-performance world.

And, to be honest, I don't see which car would beat the Veyron in straight-line performance in the next 10 years.

Another key point to this car, even though nobody here drove the damn thing yet, is the description of a "big Lotus Elise" that Clarkson mentionned in his paper on the Veyron. That alone should be convincing enough.

"Big Lotus Elise" feel coupled with 1001 hp and a 407 km/h top speed, I'll take 1, in black in silver please. :)

-Olivier

Stop comparing the Veyron to the Enzo, CGT, SLR, etc. The Veyron isn't one of those cars, and those cars aren't trying to be a Veyron.

I think the 255 mph top speed is insane, but more usable for most owners right away is the out of this world acceleration. I guess owners will revel in the novelty of having such a car.

The car looks nice and is very luxurious. It could very well be the best display of status in the automobile kingdom for some time to come.

If it can be afforded, pick it up.

For whats it worth... If youre anything like me, youll find yourself longing for what you used to have.... BUT... I LOVE my cars... I have a DEEP EMOTIONAL attatchment to them, and cant see myself NOT having each of them...

To you, the cars you own may just be cars... Only you can answer that...

For instance, here I am, I own my dream cars, and yet, today, at Petco, I saw an obviously LOW income family of 5 squeezing into a THRASHED 1979 BMW 320i (my first car- I sold it 15 years ago) and thought "wow... I miss that car..." It wasnt fast... It wasnt particularly sexy... It wasnt worth 1000 bucks when I sold it (it was in PERFECT condition... BUT... It was a 1979 320i!) but DAMN I LOVED THAT CAR!!!!

I can afford a Diablo or a Murcie... But Id much rather have another E30M3... Or even that 320I (That I could probably get for $300...) It doesnt have to be expensive, or fast, or even rare to make you happy... AND HOPEFULLY, thats what were talking about... WHAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY?

If youre thinking about investments or money, I would tell you SELL ALL THE CARS and sink the money in another investment... ANY investment... Because ANYTHING will do better than cars in terms of ROI...

Good luck dude... Not an easy decision.

For instance, here I am, I own my dream cars, and yet, today, at Petco, I saw an obviously LOW income family of 5 squeezing into a THRASHED 1979 BMW 320i (my first car-  I sold it 15 years ago) and thought "wow... I miss that car..."  It wasnt fast... It wasnt particularly sexy... It wasnt worth 1000 bucks when I sold it (it was in PERFECT condition... BUT... It was a 1979 320i!) but DAMN I LOVED THAT CAR!!!!

I can afford a Diablo or a Murcie...  But Id much rather have another E30M3... Or even that 320I (That I could probably get for $300...)  It doesnt have to be expensive, or fast, or even rare to make you happy... AND HOPEFULLY, thats what were talking about... WHAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY?

That five word question should be the ultimate bottom line for all major automotive purchases.

:)

the Veyron is more like a Murci, than anything. It has nothing to do with the Carrera GT or Enzo, they are track cars. as for the F1, its something else; a roadcar made with trackcar requirements, lightweight, great roadfeel, minimal electronics etc...

• 1 year later...

Please let us know what you end up doing. I am also thinking about the Veyron as well. I currently own a LP640, a Gallardo Spyder and an 2004 Gallardo coupe (which I am selling) along w a Lingenfelter POS, a 996 Cab and a Bentley. I was considering getting a couple new cars this year, choosing between the new Grand Turismo, the 997 turbo cab, the GTX GT40, and the Viper Venom 1000 but may opt for the Veyron and not get the 2 new cars and sell the Bentley as well -- I would still be significantly in the hole in any event unless I get rid of the LP640 as well....

The Veyron is so impressive in so many ways and I like the fact that it is a GT car and a sports car. My friend has taken a test drive and said that the speed is unbelievable but the car does not feel heavy despite its weight. I am really torn b/c the price is so high and I like to have a lot of different cars to play with....on the other hand, this is the Veyron.

:givesfuck:

People that can afford a Veyron dont care how much money they spend on a car. If you have to sell a bunch of cars to be able to afford a Veyron, then you dont have the money to begin with and after reading FTVRobs posts about owners of the cars, I dont see you being able to even acquire one.

just my $.02

It is harder to get a higher top speed but if speed is what its all about:

Veyron: > $1mm

0-100 mph: 6.0 sec

0-150 mph: 11.0 sec

0-200 mph: 22.0 sec

Top speed: 253 mph

Hennessey Viper Venom 1000: $225K

0-100 mph: 5.9 sec

0-150 mph: 10.9 sec

0-200 mph: 19.9 sec

Top Speed: 255 mph

Yes, that is not a production car but this is just as a sanity check. Both have comparable horsepower.

As for the other question about if there are any McLaren F1s for sale, Silicon Valley Auto Group says one is coming up "for sale soon" on their web site (a yellow one). They sold another one relatively recently. The one that looks like its coming up doesn't look like the stripped out racing version (one of those was up for sale recently).

In my humble opinion, the Veyron would keep a premium but if the McLaren F1 is a comparable, its original price was just over a million (1995) and now ten years later they are going for a million. I believe the last sale at Christies was at that price.

The Veyron is one beautiful car. I was looking at cars with a younger female and of all the cars looked at, the Veyron was her favorite as far as sheer looks. She didn't know anything about price, speed, drive, etc.

Those figures are not the fastest recorded;

Veyron;

0-60 mph: 2.46 sec (2.24 sec bugatti test driver Pierre-Henri Raphanel )

0-100 mph: 5.5 sec

0-125 mph: 7.4 sec

0-186 mph: 14.9 sec (14.3 sec bugatti test driver Pierre-Henri Raphanel )

1/4: 10.2 sec (9.87sec bugatti test driver Pierre-Henri Raphanel )

Top speed: 253 mph (limited)

Its chalk and cheese between the two............but the bugatti is worth the extra bucks imho. SOOOOOOOOO much more car. One finger and on the phone at 253mph....Its bound to hold its value.

approx payment on the veyron, starts with about half million down, between 40-50,000 first payment then about 22,000/mo.

:givesfuck:

People that can afford a Veyron dont care how much money they spend on a car. If you have to sell a bunch of cars to be able to afford a Veyron, then you dont have the money to begin with and after reading FTVRobs posts about owners of the cars, I dont see you being able to even acquire one.

just my $.02

:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:

Agreed. The price of PURCHASING the Veyron and those on and close to it's stature is one thing to consider. The price of OWNING and maintaining that vehicle is a whole 'nother ball park. Consumers often forget about the long-term expenses of luxury items.

(thinks of an old neighbor years ago who was quickly thrown off his soapbox once his Ferrari 355 was repossessed by court order...along with some other belongings due to too much ego, no sense, and living a dream he didn't earn for himself...wonder how he's doing now?)

approx payment on the veyron, starts with about half million down, between 40-50,000 first payment then about 22,000/mo.

I don't know who told you that, but Bugatti wont ship the car unless the remainder of the money is wired to France.