If you could buy only 1 watch and didn't have a budget, what would it be?

pockmark

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all black is dead sexy but far from the 'get anything you want' category.

Now the 5002 skymoon, yeah, that would do it. I could be very happy with an RM008 as well.

HD3 Complication has some really nice (HUGE!!!!) watches that I tried on in London.

Bell & Ross have an AMAZING Tourbillon coming out this year. I tried on 1 of 2 prototypes in the world in Paris on my honeymoon. It's all black, with a carbon fibre dial and has a chrono. Truly an amazing watch! It looked so good I tried to by the prototype even with a dummy movement because it look THAT good. Itw ill be revealed in Basil and will come out in about 6 months. I should have taken pics of it because there are none on the internet of it; only last years. It was definitely one of the coolest watches I have EVER seen. Black rubber strap, Black face, dials, etc. They are selling them for 113,000 Euros. I still have my name on piece #001 but 6 months is a LONG time to wait for someone as impatient as me! :lol2: And, this is WAY out of B&R's typical price range (by 10 fold almost); however, when you only make 50 or a 100 pieces worldwide, they tend to hold their value. Those are some of the considerations making me hesitate.

You can justify just about anything if there is a need to do so but:

What are the odds of you being in Angola or some other dangerous 3rd world country?

Also,when you travel to these places you would be an absolute fool to wear an expensive watch or any kind of jewelry as that would make you a prime candidate to be robbed or killed.Have you not seen the reports of tourists getting their hand chopped off for their watch?

In other words Erik,you sort of have a point but it doesn't wash :icon_mrgreen:

Angola was a bit extreme, since I dont like to travel farther than I can walk, but I could definitely see myself in Las Vegas or Mexico needing a quick lump of cash. And just knowing its possible is enough for me. :icon_mrgreen:

had it for 30 years and it still rocks!

classic porsche design orfina chronograph...

post-9329-1197457084_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1197457124_thumb.jpg

HD3 Complication has some really nice (HUGE!!!!) watches that I tried on in London.

Bell & Ross have an AMAZING Tourbillon coming out this year. I tried on 1 of 2 prototypes in the world in Paris on my honeymoon. It's all black, with a carbon fibre dial and has a chrono. Truly an amazing watch! It looked so good I tried to by the prototype even with a dummy movement because it look THAT good. Itw ill be revealed in Basil and will come out in about 6 months. I should have taken pics of it because there are none on the internet of it; only last years. It was definitely one of the coolest watches I have EVER seen. Black rubber strap, Black face, dials, etc. They are selling them for 113,000 Euros. I still have my name on piece #001 but 6 months is a LONG time to wait for someone as impatient as me! :lol2: And, this is WAY out of B&R's typical price range (by 10 fold almost); however, when you only make 50 or a 100 pieces worldwide, they tend to hold their value. Those are some of the considerations making me hesitate.

Very interesting. Any way, as the first customer, you can get your hands on a couple of pics!? :) I would be very interested in seeing them.

I just came back from two days in Geneva and I was about to snap my neck looking left and right at amazing timepieces everywhere in the city. Let alone the cars...and the architecture...the scenery...the girls...

-Olivier

• 2 weeks later...

The watch bug finally bit me hard enough to get a Rolex; I love the submariner but didn't like the probability that the bezel would scratch easily, so I got a Platinum Yachtmaster.

The other consideration was the size of the Sub. The 40mm looked stupid on my wrist, so I got the mid-size at like 35mm or so and it looks perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
That thing looks serious. Whats the price tag on it?

The platinum edition only had 15 made so its about 550k

the gold and silver editions had 100 made of each so they go for about 400k

These are prices that I had seen

Either way they are well out of my price range

• 2 weeks later...

They have already sold a couple of these. Did you ever get the call for #001?

They have already sold a couple of these. Did you ever get the call for #001?

I did. With the conversion rate getting worse and worse, it came to approx. $200,000 which I just couldn't see spending on a B&R. It's too risky in my opinion; they are in uncharted territory considering they start at like $3K and I want my "grand daddy of them all" watch to at leats HOLD it's value if not increase. If that thing tanked after the Tourbillon phase goes away (which it very well could unfortunately) I would kill myself for not picking one up second hand for pennies on the dollar. That's what I think I am going to do since I love the watch so much! Do you have any pics of it; I keep looking but no magazines or anyone seem to have snapped any.

had it for 30 years and it still rocks!

classic porsche design orfina chronograph...

the winder got stuck around Christmas and I took a plier to it (it broke right off :( - thought it was just 'tight'...anyway there is only one repair place for these early Orfina chronographs - Superior Watch co. in Brooklyn, NY and I sent it off and am spending $905. for a complete repair and refurbishing (new crystal, new hands, re-anodized to look new, etc.), the second time in my 30 years of ownership I have sent it to have this done, should be good till I die this time as I plan to wear it occasionally instead of every day, which I really did for decades....greatest watch ever! In fact I am not likely to ever part with it, has been a part of every facet of my life!

I did. With the conversion rate getting worse and worse, it came to approx. $200,000 which I just couldn't see spending on a B&R. It's too risky in my opinion; they are in uncharted territory considering they start at like $3K and I want my "grand daddy of them all" watch to at leats HOLD it's value if not increase. If that thing tanked after the Tourbillon phase goes away (which it very well could unfortunately) I would kill myself for not picking one up second hand for pennies on the dollar. That's what I think I am going to do since I love the watch so much! Do you have any pics of it; I keep looking but no magazines or anyone seem to have snapped any.

Smart move. It was just featured in one of the watch magazines but I forget which one. I'll let you know when I find it.

Smart move. It was just featured in one of the watch magazines but I forget which one. I'll let you know when I find it.

Thanks!

I hate that strap, it should come standard with a leather strap.

See, I HATE leather straps (for the most part, not all of them) and that wide rubber strap is one of my favorite parts of the watch! Goes to show you how much everything is personal preference.

• 1 month later...