Guns

OVI

Kinda pricey when that mossberg is running $369 lol

Yes they are. I wouldnt consider them if you arent going to be doing some serious hunting with them. For what it sounds like you want, the mossberg or 870 would be great.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Mossberg 88 short barrel that I keep by the bed for a liittle home defense and its perfect. The only thing that I worry about is that it only holds 1 in the rack and 2 more down the pipe, so at best I have to be able to grab my pistol if anything happens and they dont go away. As far as a rifle, I just got rid of my AR and picked up a SIG 223 and its amazing! Seems like it gets rid of a lot of the flaws that people complain about as far as the AR goes.

On a side note, I saw that someone was complaining about their AR jamming when using Wolf ammo a little earlier. Its not the rifle, its the ammo. Wolf uses a plastic type casing on their .223 ammo which starts to melt inside the barrel, blocking it a little more with every round fired. Try switching to Remington ammo which isnt much more expensive and wont gum up your rifle.

Wow, I always get blown away by this thread. I enjoy the talk that goes on, but still can't get over how easy everyone talks about guns. Over here with the restricted gun laws, you only carry if you're a police/security or a criminal. One side you respect the other you avoid. It's really weird to think that normal people are wandering around with guns on their hips. Not singling Rob out but we've got to know your personality through the years and found it very weird for you to getting a gun. It's funny how this happens. Can't judge a book by it's cover when the customs are so different.

Just thought I'd throw that out, as everytime I check in I still can't imagine everyone carrying. Carry on! :D

And then for the shotgun I am liking the Mossberg 500,they had it for $369

50420.jpg

I have a Mossberg 500 with almost all the same accesories as the one one pictured with the addition of a barrel mounted heat shield and flashlight. IMO, it's one of the best home defense weapons out there; lightweight, but packs a heavy punch. I've got mine loaded with soft lead birdshot in the hole, for maximum spread, I've got a couple of 00 buckshot rounds after that and then rifled slugs following. I feel VERY confident with this weapon in close quarters and in darkness. I also like it because, unlike my 7.62mm, I don't have to worry about it going through my walls, then the neighbors' engine block and killing somebody down the block.

Wow, I always get blown away by this thread. I enjoy the talk that goes on, but still can't get over how easy everyone talks about guns. Over here with the restricted gun laws, you only carry if you're a police/security or a criminal. One side you respect the other you avoid. It's really weird to think that normal people are wandering around with guns on their hips. Not singling Rob out but we've got to know your personality through the years and found it very weird for you to getting a gun. It's funny how this happens. Can't judge a book by it's cover when the customs are so different.

Just thought I'd throw that out, as everytime I check in I still can't imagine everyone carrying. Carry on! :D

Who would you rather carry a gun? A cop, who isnt on every street corner? A law abiding citizen that has gone through vigorous backgrounds checks? Or a Criminal who is all over who didnt go through a background check? Regardless you will have two of the three regardless of what the laws are.

Who would you rather carry a gun? A cop, who isnt on every street corner? A law abiding citizen that has gone through vigorous backgrounds checks? Or a Criminal who is all over who didnt go through a background check? Regardless you will have two of the three regardless of what the laws are.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a foot in any camp, but Australians have a very different outlook on guns. The restrictions make it very difficult to come across a gun, and also give them an infinitely higher cost so every Tom, Dick and criminal don't have them. Most crimes are commited without the use of a firearm. Many stories come out when a person produces a cricket bat and the criminal high-tails it. I just thought it funny that if a mate of mine came out that he would like to get hold of a gun, the very world they revolve in would change very quickly into a darker one. It's a funny mindset, I remember travelling in Europe at age 21 and jumping off a train in Paris to be greeted by 6 guys in fatigues, carrying a machine gun each. I had never even seen one before in my life! Had seen the odd shotgun at my grandparents farm and my dad's old rifle when I was a little kid but machine guns make you sit up and notice!

Any good Benelli's worth looking at?

Ive got a nova thats my bird gun... never ever had a problem. Ive probably put over 20,000 rounds through it and all i ever do is a quick clean and oil after every big shoot, never had a jam never had a break missfead anything. Plus the thing is really light for a pump and you can field strip it in a hurry, helpful if you accidentally tip over your duck boat.

My cousins have a couple Super Black eagles and they are very nice guns but for me I prefer a pump.

Rob- Cant go wrong with the Kimber.... Probably one of the finest made handguns around.... The downside is they're pricey, but it looks like you found a deal on that one.... Id gobble that up.

That shotty is a good choice as well... HOWEVER.... I would look at the local sporting goods store (do you have Big 5?) as they almost ALWAYS have the lowest price on the Mossy/ Remys. My suggestion, get the cheapest base model 500 or 870 (should be around $300 or less) and customize it (easy and cheap) any way you want it.

The AR.... An AR is an AR is an AR. Ive built all mine up from stripped receivers. Its fun, you learn a LOT about how it operates, and you can pretty much make it EXACTLY the way you want it, and save some $$$ in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a foot in any camp, but Australians have a very different outlook on guns. The restrictions make it very difficult to come across a gun, and also give them an infinitely higher cost so every Tom, Dick and criminal don't have them. Most crimes are commited without the use of a firearm. Many stories come out when a person produces a cricket bat and the criminal high-tails it. I just thought it funny that if a mate of mine came out that he would like to get hold of a gun, the very world they revolve in would change very quickly into a darker one. It's a funny mindset, I remember travelling in Europe at age 21 and jumping off a train in Paris to be greeted by 6 guys in fatigues, carrying a machine gun each. I had never even seen one before in my life! Had seen the odd shotgun at my grandparents farm and my dad's old rifle when I was a little kid but machine guns make you sit up and notice!

I think its safe to say, MOST Americans (there is a loud vocal minority who who feel the same way about guns as you do) think your gun laws are as odd as you think our lack of gun laws are. ;)

Guest skokos
Not singling Rob out but we've got to know your personality through the years and found it very weird for you to getting a gun. It's funny how this happens. Can't judge a book by it's cover when the customs are so different.

I am now a father and I have a lot more to be aware of then I use to,recently violent crimes have seemed on the rise,I hear about more home invasions day after day and I have grown up around numerous guns in my house hold so I am very comfortable around firearms. I'm the most level headed guy you could get,but if I was ever put in a situation I wont allow myself or a loved one to be a victim.

Not to say thats my only motivation because I do love going to the range and popping off a couple hundred rounds whenever I get a chance.

Also I have friends that I go shooting with at ranches/cabins and it would be nice not having to borrow my dads or brothers firearms

Rob- Cant go wrong with the Kimber.... Probably one of the finest made handguns around.... The downside is they're pricey, but it looks like you found a deal on that one.... Id gobble that up.

That shotty is a good choice as well... HOWEVER.... I would look at the local sporting goods store (do you have Big 5?) as they almost ALWAYS have the lowest price on the Mossy/ Remys. My suggestion, get the cheapest base model 500 or 870 (should be around $300 or less) and customize it (easy and cheap) any way you want it.

The AR.... An AR is an AR is an AR. Ive built all mine up from stripped receivers. Its fun, you learn a LOT about how it operates, and you can pretty much make it EXACTLY the way you want it, and save some $$$ in the process.

Thanks Roman :icon_thumleft:

I was told that the same Kimber goes for as much as $1200 other places so It does seem like a sweet deal..think Ill ask santa for it! ;)

We do have Big 5's and Cabelas here so good idea with that,I will definitely go compare there before making any purchases. And after speaking with a couple of the guys at the range there are certainly some other rifles that would be on my wish list but when were talking $5000 + starting I think having a nice AR customized the way I like for a fraction of the price is the way to go.

I think its safe to say, MOST Americans (there is a loud vocal minority who who feel the same way about guns as you do) think your gun laws are as odd as you think our lack of gun laws are. ;)

Thats RIGHT! What kind of American would I be if I didn't exercise my 2nd amendment right to bear arms :icon_mrgreen:

family-guy-bear-arms.jpg

Like Romandad said, you can't find a better automatic than a Kimber, but you definitely pay a premium for them. If you aren't dead set on a Kimber, both the Glock 21 .45 and HK USP .45 would be great options, they both have larger frames so they should fit your hand, and you will save some money. A few nights ago I saw a new Glock 21 at Bass Pro Shop in the low $600 range. The HK USP .45 was just under $1,000. I own a Glock 21, and I have shot the HK USP, both fit my hand well and feel very comfortable.

My dad owns a Kimber in .45 and it is without a doubt the best handgun I have ever shot. It is also the heaviest .45 I have ever come across.

As far as Benelli is concerned, they are the Kimber of shotguns. They are awesome shotguns, but very pricey. For example, the M4 Tactical would be similar to the Mossberg 500, but the Benelli is $1699 MSRP. The Mossberg will work well for what you are wanting it to do.

As far as Benelli is concerned, they are the Kimber of shotguns. They are awesome shotguns, but very pricey. For example, the M4 Tactical would be similar to the Mossberg 500, but the Benelli is $1699 MSRP. The Mossberg will work well for what you are wanting it to do.

The Benelli M4 is not similar to the Moss 500, it's similar to the Moss 935, still ~$1000 difference though. What is similar to the Moss 500 is the Benelli Super Nova which is within $100 of the Moss 500.

Reason the Kimber is so great is craftsmanship and of course the fact that it is a metal stock gun. No frame flex and probably 0 stove pipe issues with it. I have a HK USP .40 and it is incredibly accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have put many rounds through it and enjoy the gun. I would like to own something like a Kimber that is a classic 1911 revival. That gun is a great piece, you will really enjoy it. As for the AR, Roman said it best, a black rifle is a black rifle..... It is cool to build up the gun to your liking with all the different parts. It also would give you an appreciation of what it is they do and how they do it. I have an Armalite M-4 knockoff. It is sooo easy to shoot it is amazing. Minimal recoil, very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Reason the Kimber is so great is craftsmanship and of course the fact that it is a metal stock gun. No frame flex and probably 0 stove pipe issues with it. I have a HK USP .40 and it is incredibly accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have put many rounds through it and enjoy the gun. I would like to own something like a Kimber that is a classic 1911 revival. That gun is a great piece, you will really enjoy it. As for the AR, Roman said it best, a black rifle is a black rifle..... It is cool to build up the gun to your liking with all the different parts. It also would give you an appreciation of what it is they do and how they do it. I have an Armalite M-4 knockoff. It is sooo easy to shoot it is amazing. Minimal recoil, very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

For accuracy 1911's are quite incredible due to the fact that they use a fixed barrel, much like your H&K USP. Although for reliability, 1911's are more difficult to up keep; you have to remember that metal on metal guns require proper lubrication opposed to their polymer frame counterparts. With out the proper lubrication there are failure to feeds, and occasionally depending on the extractor style there are FTE's as well.

Many of the new Kimbers use MIM internals which aren't as resilient as the old parts on Kimbers were.

The most important thing is that you take care of a gun properly and it'll take care of you.

Next on my purchasing block is definitely a 1911, for the time being my Walther P99 is sufficient and fits my hand perfect.

for the time being my Walther P99 is sufficient and fits my hand perfect.

Watch the Sear Block on the P99 my buddies broke off at the range about 2 months ago. Had probably about 3000 rounds in it. Looking online after it broke it seems to be a pretty common problem in them. Smith and Wesson fixed it no cost for him (it was out of warranty too) which was nice. It was his dedicated carry gun, now he switched to a glock.

Watch the Sear Block on the P99 my buddies broke off at the range about 2 months ago. Had probably about 3000 rounds in it. Looking online after it broke it seems to be a pretty common problem in them. Smith and Wesson fixed it no cost for him (it was out of warranty too) which was nice. It was his dedicated carry gun, now he switched to a glock.

I'll definitely look into that, about now I think I've put about 2k rounds through it. Do you remember how long ago he bought it? Just trying to figure out whether or not its affiliated to any particular years. Mine is a 2008 production year. Wonder if they've fixed the issue.

I'll definitely look into that, about now I think I've put about 2k rounds through it. Do you remember how long ago he bought it? Just trying to figure out whether or not its affiliated to any particular years. Mine is a 2008 production year. Wonder if they've fixed the issue.

He says he bought it new (+/-) 3 years ago.

And now MY gun story of 2010....

Ive had a Remington 700P MLR .338 Lapua Magnum on order with a buddy of mine for about a year now.... Its an incredibly rare gun. They only build a few of them once or twice a year. They go out to Remy dealers who usually have them backordered.

Being one to always cover my bases, I also contacted a large internet retailer who is known to get shipments of them when they get made. I sent them an email asking for them to contact me if any came in.... They promised they would.

So I didnt much think about it again....

At the beginning of the month my wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas, and I thought "Hmmm.... Let me google that rifle and see if there has been any sighting of these guns and maybe, just maybe she could get me that for Christmas?"

I google it and the long range hunting sights are all abuzz with threads that were only about a week old.... It looks like in the last week of November Remington DID INDEED build a bunch and send them off to the retailers. I run over to the sight that was SUPPOSED to contact me.... They did get some..... But theyre already sold out.... fcuk!

I call my buddy and say "Hey.... Any word on that rifle I ordered a while back? I see that Remy shipped a bunch last week...." "Rifle?" (bad sign) "Did you order a rilfe?" (Oh fcuk me) "Hmm.... Its not in my pending orders.... Did you send me an email???" ( :icon_hang: )

Yeah I sent him an email..... So I go into outlook and start looking for it..... But I cant find it.... So I do a search of "Remington". It pops right up.... I resend it to him.... And then I look a little further..... Theres an unopened email..... Thats weird.... I dont recognize the email address.... But I open and read every email I get... How could I have missed this one???

Open it..... Its from the online retailer- Received November 16.

"I got a bunch in- Order now theyre going fast!"

fcuk. :eusa_wall:

And now MY gun story of 2010....

Ive had a Remington 700P MLR .338 Lapua Magnum on order with a buddy of mine for about a year now.... Its an incredibly rare gun. They only build a few of them once or twice a year. They go out to Remy dealers who usually have them backordered.

Being one to always cover my bases, I also contacted a large internet retailer who is known to get shipments of them when they get made. I sent them an email asking for them to contact me if any came in.... They promised they would.

So I didnt much think about it again....

At the beginning of the month my wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas, and I thought "Hmmm.... Let me google that rifle and see if there has been any sighting of these guns and maybe, just maybe she could get me that for Christmas?"

I google it and the long range hunting sights are all abuzz with threads that were only about a week old.... It looks like in the last week of November Remington DID INDEED build a bunch and send them off to the retailers. I run over to the sight that was SUPPOSED to contact me.... They did get some..... But theyre already sold out.... fcuk!

I call my buddy and say "Hey.... Any word on that rifle I ordered a while back? I see that Remy shipped a bunch last week...." "Rifle?" (bad sign) "Did you order a rilfe?" (Oh fcuk me) "Hmm.... Its not in my pending orders.... Did you send me an email???"

Yeah I sent him an email..... So I go into outlook and start looking for it..... But I cant find it.... So I do a search of "Remington". It pops right up.... I resend it to him.... And then I look a little further..... Theres an unopened email..... Thats weird.... I dont recognize the email address.... But I open and read everything.... Open it..... Its from the online retailer- Received November 16.

"I got a bunch in- Order now theyre going fast!"

fcuk. :eusa_wall:

Any particular reason for this specific .338 Lapua instead of locating an action and having a custom rifle built from the ground up?

Any particular reason for this specific .338 Lapua instead of locating an action and having a custom rifle built from the ground up?

Yes.... Ive always wanted a Remy 700.... Its just one of those guns Ive always wanted and never gotten around to getting. BUT, I didnt want it in the obligatory .308. I originally wanted it in 7mm RemMag. Then I was in my buddies shop a while back and the local SWAT Guys were picking up new guns in .300WM. There was an extra one there and My buddy offered it (fully set up minus the scope) to me for something like $700... I SERIOUSLY thought about getting it. But I still liked the 7 better.... Then one of the shooters mentioned Remy was making the 700 in Lapua and that was it.

Yes.... Ive always wanted a Remy 700.... Its just one of those guns Ive always wanted and never gotten around to getting. BUT, I didnt want it in the obligatory .308. I originally wanted it in 7mm RemMag. Then I was in my buddies shop a while back and the local SWAT Guys were picking up new guns in 7mm and .300WM. There was an extra 300 there and My buddy offered it (fully set up minus the scope) to me for something like $700... I SERIOUSLY thought about getting it. But I still liked the 7 better.... Then one of the shooters mentioned Remy was making the 700 in Lapua and that was it.

Ah gotcha, I had a 700 SPS Tactical and I have to say it was an excellent rifle, only sold it since I want to eventually build up an AR15 in .308 for long distance shooting here in NJ.

I would look into Accuracy International rifles as well.

skokos , i would look at the Winchester Defender 1300 shotguns. mine has a rail on the side, and a ammo rail on the stock. with the tube loaded, and the rails, it will hold 24 rounds of ammo. yes, abit much, but its there for emergencies! :)

you can get different barrel lengths. mine was a Military / Police gun, so it had all the goodies on it already. i bought it at a show. like new, for under $300.00 i looked for a pic of mine, but i cant find one. i do have the ghost ring sights, and bayonet lug for a light or whatever.

i would buy an older Colt Gold Cup .45 if you want a .45. Kimbers are nice, but they are based on the 1970's " Golden Age" Colt autos.

i have a matched pair.

i fcuking love them.

post-3289-1261623901_thumb.jpg

post-3289-1261623907_thumb.jpg