Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

No simple sugars. I drink Gatorade at home normally in leiu of soda, but I will be strictly drinking water 2 Mondays from now for 3 months.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice motivation Mike, I would recommend cutting milk out if you haven't yet, and buy protein powder to mix with water to make sure your protein intake is high so you retain the muscle you have now when you diet.

Thanks. I am psyched, the only challenge is keeping this motivation when my body is telling me to give up.

I don't drink milk, but I will use milk with my cereal. I don't start suppliment use until the Monday after next, and heavy suppliments will be used after that point forward. No creatine though as that will make me retain water which I don't want for what I am doing, but many other suppliments will be used.

If you have a strong heart hydroxycut will boost you good, and burn fat quicker. Its a metabolism accelerater.

TC, I've been loving cycling so far! What tips do you have for a beginner?

My suggestion is to find a local group ride that divides into several levels. Basically, being new, you want to give your muscles a chance to learn the motion of bicycling and you want to develop strength and endurance. Cycling is a very social sport. You meet for coffee before, after and being with other like ability cyclists will help you learn about how to ride in a pack.

SO for the first phase you are just riding. You can get into intervals later. Now, its all about fun.

First day of warmup week in the books.

Did 15 minutes of seated cycle on Level 20 Hill climb.

3 sets of 10 bicep curl

3 sets of 10 barbell curl

3 sets of 10 lat pulldown

3 sets of 10 seated rows

Not pushing too much this week. Just want to get my muscles ready for next week so I am not too sore to start off.

Good luck man. Lots of good (and diverse) advice here. I'm in similar waters but a different boat. Currently 5'9" 215 and want to lose as much as I can. Haven't been in good shape since I was a kid. Now 22 and sick of being out of shape. Hardest part for me is watching the food intake and cutting back. Always open to good suggestions though - although I'm very hesitant to use any drugs, legal or not.

mike, i know first hand how tuff working out and bulking up can be. i seriously wish you luck man

Thanks. Not really trying to bulk up yet. Just cutting fat, and getting as ripped as possible.

Good luck man. Lots of good (and diverse) advice here. I'm in similar waters but a different boat. Currently 5'9" 215 and want to lose as much as I can. Haven't been in good shape since I was a kid. Now 22 and sick of being out of shape. Hardest part for me is watching the food intake and cutting back. Always open to good suggestions though - although I'm very hesitant to use any drugs, legal or not.

i wouldnt recommend this but i HEARD that taking tramadol will kill your appetite.

Bill where you at brotha. Move back down to MIA, I need a gym buddy. :icon_mrgreen:

i would love to train with you, but i might not be a great influence lol i smoke 1 pack of ultra lights every 3 days. my favorite time is after a workout (i know that is ridiculous) but after a 5 mile run or workout for some reason a cig tastes great!

my gf does not smoke so im trying to quit now, i have tried nicorette, but have not been to successful. after a 10 hr work day i look forward to that cig on the drive home with a great song playing on the ipod! (its kind of like desert after dinner)

i have been training hard for 14 years and im 5,10 190 w/abs and i will honestly day that 80% of these results are from diet. what changed my physique was using the gourmet for life food program, for $20 a day you cant go wrong and the food is awesome!!! you should def look into that mike.

Good Luck and give me some tips on quiting smoking.

i would love to train with you, but i might not be a great influence lol i smoke 1 pack of ultra lights every 3 days. my favorite time is after a workout (i know that is ridiculous) but after a 5 mile run or workout for some reason a cig tastes great!

my gf does not smoke so im trying to quit now, i have tried nicorette, but have not been to successful. after a 10 hr work day i look forward to that cig on the drive home with a great song playing on the ipod! (its kind of like desert after dinner)

i have been training hard for 14 years and im 5,10 190 w/abs and i will honestly day that 80% of these results are from diet. what changed my physique was using the gourmet for life food program, for $20 a day you cant go wrong and the food is awesome!!! you should def look into that mike.

Good Luck and give me some tips on quiting smoking.

Haha. I had no idea you smoked! I havent quit yet. I actually had 1 right after the workout! My strict diet is about 80% this week. Trying to have at least 5 meals a day with the majority of my complex carb intake before 2pm. What makes things tough are anomalies like the fact that I have club seats for tonights Dolphins game. It will be dificult to find healthy food at a football game not even getting into beer drinking. I feel I have at least 30lbs of fat I could lose without looking too skinny. After a pre-training binge to get rid of all the fattening stuff in my house, I weighed in at 237 yesterday afternoon. If I could get down to 205lbs at 6 foot 1, I know I will be ripped. Besides my gut, I have always had a huge lower body with little definition (cuban heritage), so that will be another big focus.

Quitting smoking will be next month, and I am not looking forward to it. Not only is it VERY difficult for me, but I turn into a mean @sshole when I dont have nicotene in my system.

Haha. I had no idea you smoked! I havent quit yet. I actually had 1 right after the workout! My strict diet is about 80% this week. Trying to have at least 5 meals a day with the majority of my complex carb intake before 2pm. What makes things tough are anomalies like the fact that I have club seats for tonights Dolphins game. It will be dificult to find healthy food at a football game not even getting into beer drinking. I feel I have at least 30lbs of fat I could lose without looking too skinny. After a pre-training binge to get rid of all the fattening stuff in my house, I weighed in at 237 yesterday afternoon. If I could get down to 205lbs at 6 foot 1, I know I will be ripped. Besides my gut, I have always had a huge lower body with little definition (cuban heritage), so that will be another big focus.

Quitting smoking will be next month, and I am not looking forward to it. Not only is it VERY difficult for me, but I turn into a mean @sshole when I dont have nicotene in my system.

at the game i always have 2 grill chicken sandwiches and double up on the meat on one roll.

if you focus on your diet and some cardio atleast 3 days a week you will llok great in 5-6 mos.

keep me in the loop with the smoking issue :)

Number one thing that helped me cut a TON of fat was getting rid of milk in my diet. I have a little for breakfast with cereal, some cheese once in a while, but that is it. I cut out whey protein shakes (whey is milk derived) and cut my BF% considerably. Most people store a lot of water weight over their abs because their body is using it as a buffer against the toxins in milk.

Bulk before you cut though, it's a lot easier to put on mass before you lower your caloric intake. :)

Number one thing that helped me cut a TON of fat was getting rid of milk in my diet. I have a little for breakfast with cereal, some cheese once in a while, but that is it. I cut out whey protein shakes (whey is milk derived) and cut my BF% considerably. Most people store a lot of water weight over their abs because their body is using it as a buffer against the toxins in milk.

Bulk before you cut though, it's a lot easier to put on mass before you lower your caloric intake. :)

Lux,

I never had any issues bulking. I was 260lbs with 8% bodyfat 8 years ago. I would rather get really lean, then build back up slowly to retain the cut look while bulking. I dont drink much milk at all. Only with cereal to get it soggy, but I dont drink it afterwards. I am not going to take creatine this time around due to what you mentioned above about water weight retention. I remember when I was bulking, I would take 2X the suggested serving of creatine daily, and my arms would stretch my shirt out by lunchtime due to water.

at the game i always have 2 grill chicken sandwiches and double up on the meat on one roll.

if you focus on your diet and some cardio atleast 3 days a week you will llok great in 5-6 mos.

keep me in the loop with the smoking issue :)

Will do. On page 3 of this thread, I posted what my routine will be over the next 3 months. I am trying to get 6 months of results in 3 months. If I am not where I want to be by new years, I am doing P90X.

Will let you know how the smoking thing plays out next month. Until then, I will be smoking like a chimney. :icon_mrgreen:

Just caught on to this thread.... What's up Mike!?

Well, not sure if you're aware, but one of my companies is in management/marketing services for physicians. I've left the industry to partner up with two of my clients (physicians) for some really interesting weight loss, rejuv and enhancements treatments that are mind blowing. We've been testing some of these (yes, they are safe, but I wanted to see if for myself before dedicating any time...) with friends and family for about a year now and the results are great! Mainly, the services and products offered are for improved daily health and increasing life longevity with increased rejuvenation along the way. There will also be all the other items like HGH, HCG, etc, etc. They will even be available on the net in FL. Some of the items are custom compounded just for these guys. I must say, it's pretty interesting and neat stuff. You might want to give something with them a shot just to get you going in the beginning, then keep yourself up on your own from there. The new office opens in Doral in about 30 days.

Otherwise, at least exercise-wise, you might also look into the Cross Fit Miami guys. They are in Doral off of 87th Ave. It's very similar to the P90X program, but in a group class setting, and I will personally tell you, IT IS INSANE! All of these home programs like P90X, just doesn't work for most people, as you need to keep it up like a science and your own home just doesn't allow it at times (at least not for me). Nothing like having a trainer or buddy(s) to keep yourself going and push you to the next level.

What Bill said concerning the food program is also great. My best friend is getting back on it for health reasons and he is a single guy so is spending a fortune eating out every day. It's about $35 bucks a day for 3 meals I believe.

Just caught on to this thread.... What's up Mike!?

Well, not sure if you're aware, but one of my companies is in management/marketing services for physicians. I've left the industry to partner up with two of my clients (physicians) for some really interesting weight loss, rejuv and enhancements treatments that are mind blowing. We've been testing some of these (yes, they are safe, but I wanted to see if for myself before dedicating any time...) with friends and family for about a year now and the results are great! Mainly, the services and products offered are for improved daily health and increasing life longevity with increased rejuvenation along the way. There will also be all the other items like HGH, HCG, etc, etc. They will even be available on the net in FL. Some of the items are custom compounded just for these guys. I must say, it's pretty interesting and neat stuff. You might want to give something with them a shot just to get you going in the beginning, then keep yourself up on your own from there. The new office opens in Doral in about 30 days.

Otherwise, at least exercise-wise, you might also look into the Cross Fit Miami guys. They are in Doral off of 87th Ave. It's very similar to the P90X program, but in a group class setting, and I will personally tell you, IT IS INSANE! All of these home programs like P90X, just doesn't work for most people, as you need to keep it up like a science and your own home just doesn't allow it at times (at least not for me). Nothing like having a trainer or buddy(s) to keep yourself going and push you to the next level.

What Bill said concerning the food program is also great. My best friend is getting back on it for health reasons and he is a single guy so is spending a fortune eating out every day. It's about $35 bucks a day for 3 meals I believe.

Whats up Willy!!!

I will do my own training for 3 months, and see where I am at. I think I have the diet thing down. It will be tough as it is pretty plain, but the results should show. No soda, no fast food, no fried food, no simple sugars, no white bread, no white rice, no carbs after 2 (as little as possible at least). Pretty strict, but should give me great results. Page 3 shows the routine I will be using.

The gym/cardio is easy as I go to the LA Fitness in Doral. The only gym I have seen in South FL that will give you the same or more motivtion to work out is Equinox at the beach. The majority of actresses/newswomen from Univision go there, and there is some AMAZING talent there every day. To the point where I try not to go with my wife because she gives me the evil eye the whole time I am there. The truly remarkeable thing is that many of them are in there 30's/40's, and are AMAZING!!!