Was school worth it? Did you even go?

gallardo23

you sound like a bitch, if your not happy being young, rich and having 24 hours a day free to be anywhere and do anything honestly just invest in a gun and blow your brains out.

Walk a mile, my friend. Take the next 3 days off and buy some empathy.

Bottom line is we may wrestle over inconsequential issues like horsepower and dyno sheets but at the end of the day there is another fcuking human behind that screen that deserves some respect.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you sound like a bitch, if your not happy being young, rich and having 24 hours a day free to be anywhere and do anything honestly just invest in a gun and blow your brains out.

Wow,

You are an incredibly ignorant and bitter person. You need help too

holy shit, :eusa_wall:

Walk a mile, my friend. Take the next 3 days off and buy some empathy.

Bottom line is we may wrestle over inconsequential issues like horsepower and dyno sheets but at the end of the day there is another fcuking human behind that screen that deserves some respect.

:icon_thumleft:

Good move Porter

Be glad Porter read it before I did.

This is true, with the proviso that a good idea is useless w/o the vision, drive, hustle, perseverance and some START UP $$$ to back it up.

I majored in philosophy, got my BA back in 1980, today I own/run a successful business. Without a doubt, it requires less brain power to operate the business, than it does to understand even one chapter of some of the denser material I studied.... for a thorough mind fcuk, try reading/comprehending Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, you could spend years studying that book...

Today, higher education basically involves job training, many grads I talk to are well versed in their specialized fields, but usually ignorant about literature, art, history, the cultural patrimony handed down by those who came before them. I am glad I took a stab at absorbing a little of it before I settled down to the grind of making a buck. Believe me, a well rounded education has its own intrinsic value, and can help enrich your life.

That is by far the best post i have seen in this thread.

What I have learned from my Uncle that is a CEO of a large company and a multimillionaire, is that you need to have a broad spectrum of knowledge to really be successful in the corporate arena. I am telling you this guy can talk about everything you throw at him and have a knowledgeable educated discussion on it. You can throw at him, where do you think the US will be on Nuclear Power in the next 10 years, What do you think of Senator_ from North Dakota (the guy lives in New England), Where do you think the US Space Program is headed, What do you think of Edgar Degas' painting-Le Calvaire, etc. He will be able to tell you everything about all of them and surprise you with how knowledgeable he is on all of them.

But in the end, your degree isn't all that. It's how you are as a human being, your personality counts.

I know people who are really (really) smart but socially, no way they could run a company.

*yawn*

My friend, you're talking to someone who detests even the slightest bit of sympathy. Call me a masochist, but one of the few things I still delight in is some harsh criticism, and you didn't quite deliver on it.

The other day I received an email from my mother. While she was on vacation these last few weeks, I had $80K in checks arrive, but she wouldn't have time to deposit them until next week. The next day I got another email telling me another one for $50K arrived. You know what I'm going to do tomorrow? I'm going to wake up in my small apartment in China, listening to the woman who plays piano somewhere in my complex. I'll then probably read a book and browse the forum for longer than is necessary.

Youth, money, and free time -- all put to use.

Sorry to disappoint, but they aren't everything.

Now, back on topic.

It's unfortunate that higher-education has become a license to work, so to say, or simply job training -- though it is still very much necessary for some fields. However, I think college can also be a great means to discovery. College forces you to experience things that you don't want to, or at least think you don't want to. We all complained about many things, whether it was electives, projects, homework, labs, even just going to class. But sometimes you just run into something good. Something unexpected that works out. Maybe it was that art history class, or that introduction to French, or creative writing. I personally enjoyed learning German far more than I did engineering. Hell, I don't even use my engineering degree, but I do use my German. College can really broaden your life, if you're willing to let it.

The stuff you'll stumble upon in life will probably happen whether or not you seek a formal education. However, I don't think you'll be as likely to stumble upon those academic things without it. The Apology could be a spark of brilliance, but something tells me that unless you had an interest in it beforehand, you probably aren't going to pick it up unless forced.

And you know, there's also a damn good chance that someone with a lifetime of dedication to a subject can teach you far better than you can teach yourself. Brilliance can be inherent, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be nurtured or guided. Plato had a teacher too.

That is by far the best post i have seen in this thread.

What I have learned from my Uncle that is a CEO of a large company and a multimillionaire, is that you need to have a broad spectrum of knowledge to really be successful in the corporate arena. I am telling you this guy can talk about everything you throw at him and have a knowledgeable educated discussion on it. You can throw at him, where do you think the US will be on Nuclear Power in the next 10 years, What do you think of Senator_ from North Dakota (the guy lives in New England), Where do you think the US Space Program is headed, What do you think of Edgar Degas' painting-Le Calvaire, etc. He will be able to tell you everything about all of them and surprise you with how knowledgeable he is on all of them.

He sounds like a very good role model :icon_thumleft:

I learned everything I needed to know in life by 5 years old.

It shows.....

(just saving allan the trouble)

:icon_mrgreen:

Going to school now . I think it's more of a life school for me . No other place would teach me how to push my limits , remain stable while having things like 3 mid-terms and 769470237875 projects due in one week , 3 weeks in a row , how to get thru 8 final exams in 4 days , not to sleep 3 night in a row , how to draft 14 hours non-stop on your only day off , how to work with different people , killer smart or killer retarded , how to be at school for 8-9 hours a day , yet be able to work and work-out , appreciate every piece of freedom , and how to appreciate that cold beer after last exam ))) Sure hard to lock yourself and do something that is rather borring , while your friends ( who chose not to go to school ) enjoy parties and sexy ladies , takes some strength of will . Place sure made me stronger , esp. mentally , so it doesn't matter if I'll use it for my future , I don't regret my choise , priceless lessons and experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread. Im 30 and went back to school for a degree in Finance. Ill finish in May with no net worth, 75k in the hole. I drive a PoS and stress all the time about being able to pay off those loans. I already decided against kids because of cost and at 30 I want to save for a home, IRA/401, etc. Plus this econ sucks... I probably wont see a Lambo in my garage until I'm 85.

Nice thread. Im 30 and went back to school for a degree in Finance. Ill finish in May with no net worth, 75k in the hole. I drive a PoS and stress all the time about being able to pay off those loans. I already decided against kids because of cost and at 30 I want to save for a home, IRA/401, etc. Plus this econ sucks... I probably wont see a Lambo in my garage until I'm 85.

arent you mr positive.

And, with your thinking, you will be right 100% of the time

I just finished up my Master of Science in Entertainment Business [my Bachelor is in Game Design and Development]. Got Valedictorian again and graduated with a 3.92 GPA :)

Final assignment was a reflective assignment open format. Did a webpage that can be found at http://www.gregertsen.me/

I just finished up my Master of Science in Entertainment Business [my Bachelor is in Game Design and Development]. Got Valedictorian again and graduated with a 3.92 GPA :)

and now you are going to DisneyLand :icon_thumleft:

congratulations

Congrats

What are you going to do now, just keep doing what you already were?

Next few months I will be finishing up and launching http://www.vipwithme.com and a few other sites running on the same Voice Over IP Platform that I have built from the ground up [The platform is around 80% complete at this point, so need to finish it up and then set up accounting, merchant accounts, etc before launch].

Also going to polish up http://www.myitemtracker.com and see if I can build traffic to it.

I'll be graduating middle of next year. It was ok, I'm no Friedrich Hayek or Milton Friedman but I did learn a lot of stuff. Although there will be a ton of stuff to unlearn of tenured government subsidized professors by getting into the real world.

I can't wait to get out and start putting in my 100 hour weeks. Enough consumption, its time for some production. :icon_mrgreen:

First of all if you are 75M in the hole you have a negative net worth not zero net. Secondly although you are bummed you need to reframe things. I'm not sure how it is in the US but in Canada university educations are heavily subsidized by the taxpayers. The understanding is those that graduate will come back into society and contribute either by being employees in the workforce or by creating companies and new jobs for others. You should be thankful you have any education at all because in all reality you likely only paid for a fraction of it with the balance being paid for by your fellow taxpayers. Why not do something constructive with your shiny new degree instead of lamenting about how tough the world is? We already know. We're part of it.

This is a great thread.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here and I'll be short about it.

I got my Associates in Electrical Engineering right out of high school, only because my parents made me go to school right away. I kind of got burnt out on the whole thing. I think mostly because it wasn't really my choice to go.

Now that I am older, I really want to go back, and since my job will pay 100% for me to go back, I am going to.

But also, now that I am older and more mature, I have had time to look at things in my life and see what I really like, I know what I want to go back to school for. I am going to double major in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. I have always had and engineering thought process. But didn't realize it until I was older, that it was much more mechanically based. I do a lot now in electical testing of advanced weapons at my current job, and that is why I will finish my electrical engineering degree also.

The other reason I am going back is because, as it has been pointed out, unfortunately most employers look for that little piece of paper when even considering someone for a job. Don't take that statement as me saying "engineers don't need certificates". But I am not sure I want to be a "Engineer" in the literal sense of being a designer, I would just like to have the paper to back it up, if the situation ever comes that I do want to be an "Engineer" . I really enjoy my job now, and though I would like to make more money, I am very happy with the amount of time I get to spend with my wife and daughter, to me that is much more important than having a lot of money.

Good thread guys.

34 years old here!

The only thing I liked in school was chasing girls, I was good at studying I have some worthless diplomas to prove it but to me personally was always a big waste of my time, I was going to drop out of highschool at 16, my mother and my auntie enrolled me for the last two years of highschool without me knowing, I had to go, my mother would've kicked my ass if I didn't :icon_mrgreen:

At 16 I was beyond broke if that's even possible, my mother was working three shifts in a factory to support us.

I always knew I was going to make it, I always had a smile on my face irespective of the hardships we endured, I continuously told my mom not to worry, she said you are CRAZY wake up and face reality!

I was NEVER employed and NEVER will, by the age of 18 I had my on business in agriculture :lol2: 7 guys working for me, you have to personally know me to understand why that's funny, agriculture is sooo far from my comfort zone but I saw an opportunity and I took it!

I have a great ability of adapting, turn a dead deal into a done deal in minutes, many of my associates/friends ask me how the hell do I do it, to be honest I don't know myself, it just comes to me.

When I bought my mom her house I asked her if she still thinks I am crazy, she couldn't answer because she was crying!

Schooling:

I must admit that my "business education" costed me dearly, there were many situations where I lost a great deal of $ and opportunity because I was lacking knowledge and/or experience, now I learned and I am employing the best my money can buy to help me in my ventures.

We need doctors, engineers, chemists these guys have to go to school otherwise uneducated bums like myself would have to suffer :icon_mrgreen: