How important is resale value relative to the enjoyment of driving your exotic?

LPDADDY

I would say resale was at the bottom of the list for me when buying the diablo but it does still matter a tiny bit. I would never buy a new exotic for that reason. I will (once it is running again haha) drive the Diablo just like a drove the viper and that is anytime it's nice out and I feel like driving regardless of miles

I should also note that it pisses my mom off haha. She has no inkling about cars whatsoever but she freaks everytime I buy something like this :)

I used to like the fact that one could drive an exotic for a fair amount of time and then trade or sale without too much pain. Now, I have the problem that my murci has depreciated so much that I dont want to see the loss. So, I guess I'll have it for a long time. My murci has 13k on it.

I remember driving the ford gt off the dealer floor. Had it a year and STILL traded it for $25k more than I bought it for.

hmm mileage, lets see

my Murcielago bought in 2005, driven 40k km in one year :)

sold in 2006 and replaced with Gallardo, I crashed this Gallardo in early 2007 with 35k km on odometer

replaced with G superleggera, I didn't drive this car too much - bored of second Gallardo, I actually regretted buying second Gallardo cause it bored me so much LOL, sold with 10k km and replaced with F599, now after 8 months of ownership the 599 has 12k km :) I am pretty sure next summer it will be at 30-40k km :)))

I drove a lot of kilometers, 85k km with all my Lambos together, did I ever care about mileage? HELL NO! If you can afford such an expensive cars than you need to drive the shit out of them, and if you can afford a 300k car it should not be a problem for you to lose 100k on it

oh keep in mind these cars were not my daily drivers, daily driven cars I had together with Lambos did about 70-80k km a year and I am not a driving salesman, I just like to drive a lot:) I am only 28 years old and I acquired more than half a million kilometers with all my cars, I have driving license since 2003 :)

maybe not that "exotic" but had my MB CLK63 Black Series and many seem to have concept of dont drive them but 7000 miles in 6 months says otherwise. Also 16000 miles on my 997Turbo sums up the fact u buy them to drive them....fcuk resale. Yes it sucks but pay to play!

I remember driving the ford gt off the dealer floor. Had it a year and STILL traded it for $25k more than I bought it for.

Same here. I purchased mine new as a DD, drove it for 27 months, put 9300 miles on it and sold it at a nearly $35k profit at the peak of the market. I still miss it.

20k miles on my 08 Gallardo.... 15k on the 07 430 Spider... I think it's safe to say I don't care about miles.

Holy crap you drive your cars. I put 25k on my DD in the three years I have owned it. The last car I owned I put about 7500 miles on it in about 1 1/4 year, bike I have now I put about 4k on it in the 4 months I got to ride it. I spose if I lived in a warm climate I would drive my stuff more too.

I drive and mod as I please with no regard to the cars value

i intend to keep the cars for a while but I`ll have had my monies worth by the time that comes.

Same here. I purchased mine new as a DD, drove it for 27 months, put 9300 miles on it and sold it at a nearly $35k profit at the peak of the market. I still miss it.

If i could have fit into one without hitting my head on the headliner i would have bought one...the still hold their value half way decent though

I currently own a R8 which is a semi-exotic but I can share my thoughts on the previous Lambos I have owned.

My old Gallardo was just any other car I just drove, I didn't like the color, it was nothing special (In Lambo World that is) and that made me think more in the terms of fcuk it, just drive it like you stole it all the time!

The SL was a totally different story, such an awesome and rare (only one in Scandinavia/northern Europe) monster of a car! I bought a car that was to beautiful, caused to much attention on the roads and simply was to good to just beat up on, I rather took the Audis instead.. I must confess though, I didn't drive it as near as much as I should of and I regret it..

What I have learned from this, my new motto; Make sure you own the car and not the car owning you.......

I am somewhat amazed at the replies here. I have to say the members here are real car people. The way i see it, there is nothing wrong with buying the car right obviously. No body wants to throw money out the door no matter how wealthy you are. But buying a car and not driving it because it might depreciate is totally wanker material for me. Of course it is none of my business what one does with their possessions but again i fail to see the point in owning a car for the sole purpose of letting it rot in the garage and polish it once in a while.

I drive everything everywhere when i can and the only issue i have right now is that i have bunch of car sitting around as i don't have enough time to drive them and i am going to try and sell them. Let someone else enjoy what i cannot.

I am somewhat amazed at the replies here. I have to say the members here are real car people. The way i see it, there is nothing wrong with buying the car right obviously. No body wants to throw money out the door no matter how wealthy you are. But buying a car and not driving it because it might depreciate is totally wanker material for me. Of course it is none of my business what one does with their possessions but again i fail to see the point in owning a car for the sole purpose of letting it rot in the garage and polish it once in a while.

I drive everything everywhere when i can and the only issue i have right now is that i have bunch of car sitting around as i don't have enough time to drive them and i am going to try and sell them. Let someone else enjoy what i cannot.

I am in the Toronto area too so since I really like helping people, I offer to drive all your cars around for you.

That way you don't need to find the time to drive them and you don't have to bother with trying to deal with selling them. Imagine all the freeloading cheap jackasses out there that want something for nothing and basically want you to give these cars away for nothing all because they are too damn cheap or poor to buy their own nice cars.

Screw that.

So I would be glad to help you out and drive the cars and save you from having to deal with that stuff. You enjoy knowing your cars are getting used, I enjoy helping out a fellow human being.

Win-win.

I am in the Toronto area too so since I really like helping people, I offer to drive all your cars around for you.

That way you don't need to find the time to drive them and you don't have to bother with trying to deal with selling them. Imagine all the freeloading cheap jackasses out there that want something for nothing and basically want you to give these cars away for nothing all because they are too damn cheap or poor to buy their own nice cars.

Screw that.

So I would be glad to help you out and drive the cars and save you from having to deal with that stuff. You enjoy knowing your cars are getting used, I enjoy helping out a fellow human being.

Win-win.

I am so overwhelmed by your offer i have tears in my eyes :icon_mrgreen: . At least you didn't ask to buy one of my cars for silly money lol.

You don't even know what i am selling and believe me if the price isn't right or close to being right i won't sell anything.

Did you see the thread on F-chat where one of the members placed an ad regarding the sale of his cayman and got a long winded essay by some loser student who offered him $2000 for the car and was trying to convince him why he should the car to him at that price?

At least you didn't ask to buy one of my cars for silly money lol.

Did you see the thread on F-chat where one of the members placed an ad regarding the sale of his cayman and got a long winded essay by some loser student who offered him $2000 for the car and was trying to convince him why he should the car to him at that price?

Damn, there goes plan B. :icon_mrgreen:

Back to your topic at hand though, I applaud those that drive their exotics often and hard. That would be my preference.

However, although this may not be a welcome opinion in this thread, I also think there is the benefits of all the garage queens as well to at least keep the values high on some exotics.

If everyone just drove the miles up on their exotics and there were many, many more high mileage examples available, I think it might drive the overall value down and make it harder to sell without taking a huge drop for those with mid-low mileage models.

if I didnt care about resale i would probably drive the car everyday. to work, to the stores, let it get scratched up dented, and rack up a ton of miles. I like to keep it 100% clean, no scratches or dings and keep the miles as only pleasure miles, not commuter miles. If im in the lambo you know im going somewhere interesting or just out enjoying the road. Instead I give the daily abuse to an SUV, which is still kept clean but I dont mind getting it scratched or racking up a ton of miles because they are cheaper cars to begin with and I wouldnt really lose sleep over the ding I just got. The lambo is nurtured like an infant and it gets my upmost care and attention.

I hear what you guys are saying that you bought the car to drive it and so did most of us, but in todays age you should have atleast one or more cars at your disposal to keep your baby like new. I do think most of you all have another car to subject to wear and tear and if you dont then you truly dont give a shit about resale.

but in todays age you should have atleast one or more cars at your disposal to keep your baby like new.

im sure most people on here have a couple interesting cars.

Also I think I speak for a few people - when we say we dont give a shit about miles were not all putting the miles on puttering down to walmart. :icon_mrgreen:

im sure most people on here have a couple interesting cars.

Also I think I speak for a few people - when we say we dont give a shit about miles were not all putting the miles on puttering down to walmart. :icon_mrgreen:

im not talking about interesting cars. im talking about a normal boring daily driver to take up the abuse/wear and tear so they dont have to put it on their interesting cars. I agree we all have one or more $100,000+ car, but I believe the ones who truly dont care about mileage do not own a sub $50,000 car. I like to subject my sub $50,000 car to this and keep the toys pristine.

I don't buy cars to have them sit. I like to drive them and drive them a lot.

Thus why I'm selling the Jota because it is useless here in LA and getting back to more modern cars.

However I do look at deprecation when buying a new car. I fully understand that cars are a deprecating asset. I just don't want to lose my shirt shoes and ass. No need to name marks or specific models, we no what they are.

I bought my G new, and like many others, I cared far more about buying it at the right price, than any sort of resale value. I try to drive the car as much a possible, although I'd like to drive it more, if I actually had the time! For me, the fun and enjoyment is priceless. Every time I walk in the garage and take a look at her I smile, it reminds me about what I had to do to buy it. I set a goal for myself, and when I hit that goal, the G was the reward. So in reality, the car and corresponding goals set, have made me more successful. I use it, along with a host of other things, as a powerful tool of motivation. I've also made new sets of friends over the years (other exotic owners), and we go driving in the canyons on the weekends, or go to lunch or coffee. That has made this whole experience so much more enjoyable.

-Steven

I will drive it anytime the weather is nice, when it rains or snows i do not because its just no fun. I find the depreciation from the amount of miles is a lot less then the depreciation from car getting older, so just enjoy the damn thing!