SLR or FGT

donnie

I`m tossing up between a Ford GT and a SLR - I know they are very different beasts and very different prices - I think the FGT will complement the murci roadster and Bentley CGT but the more I think about it I think I`m trying to talk myself into an SLR.

Is there anything I should be aware of when considering a roadster over the coupe? Anyone got experience with it? Havent test drove one as theres no roadsters for sale locally...how does the SLR roof compare to the solid feel of a Bentley CGT roof when its up?

What do you think between a FGT and a SLR given the cars I already have?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just on eBay and saw a picture of a FGT with no stripes taken at night. I was about to send an email home and tell someone to go buy me it.

Upon further inspection, it was actually dark blue and looked black at night.

Buy the FGT. Way cooler.

Driven both extensively.... SLR for the win!

Even if the cost to maintain were the same, I'd still take the FGT hands down, factor in what it costs to insure and maintain an SLR and the choice is clear.

Even if the cost to maintain were the same, I'd still take the FGT hands down, factor in what it costs to insure and maintain an SLR and the choice is clear.

Sorry, the two are not on the same planet. The FGT is a plastic piece of crap. Yeah it can be modded and goes quick, but the hideous interior, terrible build quality and FORD badge are a deal breaker for me. Maybe if someone was considering a FGT, a Gallardo or a 997TT, the FGT might come into play ( although Id still take either Gallardo ( as i did when I bought my SE over the FGT) or a 997TTover the FGT. If you can afford an SLR, and get one with a warranty as I did, it is by far the better car.

Sorry, the two are not on the same planet. The FGT is a plastic piece of crap. Yeah it can be modded and goes quick, but the hideous interior, terrible build quality and FORD badge are a deal breaker for me. Maybe if someone was considering a FGT, a Gallardo or a 997TT, the FGT might come into play ( although Id still take either Gallardo ( as i did when I bought my SE over the FGT) or a 997TTover the FGT. If you can afford an SLR, and get one with a warranty as I did, it is by far the better car.

To each his own. Better car? Pfft.

It goes up and down. If it tears or breaks, the replacement is $50K.

Ok - I get that the parts are expensive ...

What I want to know does the roof feel like there is fifty thousand one dollar bills stuffed inside it deadening the sound and keeping me warm and cosy when I drive?

Sprite has a black FGT for sale on here for a killer price.

The SLR is a beast, it sounds like Satan taking a chainsaw to a baby nursery.

Honestly they seem like different cars to me, not exactly in the same pool. I would be hard pressed for the money of an SLR to not go Carrera GT.

But... if you insist between the two, I'd say SLR - it bridges the gap between your Murci and Bentley, in a great grand tourer that looks and sounds amazing. Oh, and do hardtop. I think the soft top looks weird - just me.

That's a tough comparison.

Had seat time in both and I'd have to say FGT. Sucks that it does have to have a Ford badge on it because nothing looks / sounds as wicked as that car. I would do one over a stock Gallardo but it's hard to justify spending ~160k on a Ford.

I would be hard pressed for the money of an SLR to not go Carrera GT.

What he said. If you're going to get an SLR convertible, why not come up with a little more and get a CGT? With the top on it actually looks good (as opposed to any car with a soft top -- yuck,) and you can take the top off if you want and it still looks awesome. CGT won't depreciate as much either.

Consider the cars that you currently own, if you want the same calibre of built quality and finish and perhaps even prestige, get the SLR. But if you want something totally different from your 2 cars --- dare I say old school American brute fun --- get the FGT. IMO & base on some driving experiences from both, the FGT would be a funner car to drive while the SLR would be a more rewarding car to own. I would not consider the SLR roadster at all: you already have a roadster and the premium on the SLR roadster over the coupe just isn't worth it.

I've driven both and you couldn't pick two more opposite cars. They are totally different in what they do well and their uses.

Don't listen to us go back and forth. The only way you will know is to go drive both then make a decision.

CGT is significantly more money than both of those.

It also has a clutch issue (it has 3mm between good and gone) that makes maintenance very cost prohibited.