Tetering on the edge of a purchase

DarkShark

Gents,

I'm currently tetering on the edge of buying a 6.0 and I have a few questions. Now, I know this is going to be like asking the fox to guard the hen house but here goes:

Low milage 2001 6.0's are very expensive (for me anyway). They are big and heavy (and beautiful). But, with all the hot, new, nimble, high performance cars coming out these days, will this car become a "hard sell" only a couple of years down the line? Am I going to lose $10K in value per year even if I keep her in pristine shape? Be honest.

I've heard that the 6.0 is the most reliable of all the Diablos (on average). Of course I'll do a pre sale inspection but after I buy it, I'll not be too happy being saddled with any big expenses for a couple of years. What should I look out for? Are the front shocks that bad? Clutch (how can I ever hope to test this before the purchase)? Other engine or transmission issues? ECU? Tires or rims? Brakes?

Is it a better idea to save some extra money and wait for an 05 or 06 Murcielago instead? Are they more nimble and are they reliable (or is this a question for the Murci group)?

I know that you guys all love your Diablos and believe me, I'm crazy for the look and feel of this machine. But, it's going to be a huge leap for me and I don't want to leave any stones unturned.

Thanks very much in advance,

Doug

Currently driving a pristine Lotus Esprit S4 w/ V8 wing and many other upgrades.

Low milage 2001 6.0's are very expensive (for me anyway). They are big and heavy (and beautiful). But, with all the hot, new, nimble, high performance cars coming out these days, will this car become a "hard sell" only a couple of years down the line? Am I going to lose $10K in value per year even if I keep her in pristine shape? Be honest.

A nice 6.0 will hold its value, and with time maybe even appreciate a little.

When I bought my Diablo 4 years ago, the 6.0's was in the €160k range, and the 02 murcis the same. Now 4 years later, the 6.0's are still in the €160k range, and the murcis are around €120k. So that's €10k down a year for murcis.

The right 6.0 would turn me away from just about any Murci, save the few manual LP640's that are out there.

Drive both, and let us know!

Coming from my recent experience. Plan for the worst regarding maintenance. I did not when I bought it and I got blindsided pretty much. Request proof showing when the last clutch replacement was done and at what mileage. If it hasnt' been done then take that into consideration when making an offer. If the car was properly maintained, you shouldn't get blindsided but still be prepared. That's my .02 anyways.

6.0 is far more reliable than the other Diablos from my experience. Clutch, I believe it has an inspection hole in the bottom of the bellhousing to aid in taking a peek and getting measurements. The shocks, well, you have to check them. 1800 a side plus install. You also have to make sure that the clutch fork is good. Known to fail on those cars and when it does it can take the clutch with it. Make sure that is updated.

As for value, the 6.0 is the better bet. Far more depreciated than most, far more desired than most and the best Diablo that they built. Good luck with the purchase.

Best,

C

• 2 weeks later...
Gents,

I'm currently tetering on the edge of buying a 6.0 and I have a few questions. Now, I know this is going to be like asking the fox to guard the hen house but here goes:

I've heard that the 6.0 is the most reliable of all the Diablos (on average). Of course I'll do a pre sale inspection but after I buy it, I'll not be too happy being saddled with any big expenses for a couple of years. What should I look out for? Are the front shocks that bad? Clutch (how can I ever hope to test this before the purchase)? Other engine or transmission issues? ECU? Tires or rims? Brakes?

Is it a better idea to save some extra money and wait for an 05 or 06 Murcielago instead? Are they more nimble and are they reliable (or is this a question for the Murci group)?

I know that you guys all love your Diablos and believe me, I'm crazy for the look and feel of this machine. But, it's going to be a huge leap for me and I don't want to leave any stones unturned.

Thanks very much in advance,

Doug

Currently driving a pristine Lotus Esprit S4 w/ V8 wing and many other upgrades.

Hey Doug,

I actually had a Lotus Esprit (V8 TT) when I bought my Diablo. I owned them both for a few months before I sold the Esprit due to lack of use (I just enjoyed driving my new "toy") so much that the Esprit got neglected. Anyway, here are my two thoughts.

1. Keep the Esprit. I should have kept it. Two COMPLETELY different cars but two GREAT cars. You will regret selling your Esprit if you do.

2. Look at early Diablos too. I got an early one ('91 - first year) and LOVE the aspect of it being 2 wheel drive (lighter, faster and better experience). At the end of the day, the early Diablo won't cost you as much, however it is the more "raw" driving experience that I think you will appreciate. That experience will also make your Esprit seem even more nimble. If you are having ANY concerns about the cost of repair on a 6.0, save yourself a TON of money and get an earlier model. Not that I think that they early model is necessarily better. But I don't think it is any worse either. Just different than the 6.0. Completely. Either way, you can't go wrong. If there is one thing I envy about the 6.0 is its interior. Love all of that carbon fiber.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your advice. Huskerbill, if I had room for two cars I would have definitely kept the Esprit but alas......

In any case, this month saw a complete reversal of my mindset. My focus was a 6.0 but ultimately it was too expensive and the idea of looming clutch work was a load on my shoulders. So, I ended up driving a low milage Ferrari 360 Modena and I must say, it was really nice. So, I bought it. For now I'm out of running for a Lamborghini but one day, when I can, I'll be driving one of these beautiful machines.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks to all for your advice. Huskerbill, if I had room for two cars I would have definitely kept the Esprit but alas......

In any case, this month saw a complete reversal of my mindset. My focus was a 6.0 but ultimately it was too expensive and the idea of looming clutch work was a load on my shoulders. So, I ended up driving a low milage Ferrari 360 Modena and I must say, it was really nice. So, I bought it. For now I'm out of running for a Lamborghini but one day, when I can, I'll be driving one of these beautiful machines.

Regards,

Doug

lets see, looming clutch or engine out for sneezing.............I pick the clutch.

Did you already purchase your hat and matching shirt?

Oh man...you bought a sowing machine motor...wrong choice my friend...if looking or even considering a 360 I would have bought a G all day long over a V10 G !!!!

Regards,

Doug

the most fitting thing I've heard anyone say about a 360 is:

"Oh great car!! til you drive one...."

seriously when the time is right I'm sure you will own a 6.0

Wow guys, i know this is a lambo board and the general consensus is that the 360 is crap, but can't we at least congratulate the guy a little bit for buying (i'm assuming) his first exotic?

Darkshark, congrats! Enjoy in good health!

Wow guys, i know this is a lambo board and the general consensus is that the 360 is crap, but can't we at least congratulate the guy a little bit for buying (i'm assuming) his first exotic?!

No.

plus, its different when you are considering a Diablo vs. Testarossa, or Gallardo vs. 360/430. The quantum leap from "considering" a Diablo does not take you to a path of 360. Well, post up pics anyways, Im sure you will tire of it and end up in what you really want instead of settling for this.

Regards,

Doug

You bought a 360 over a Diablo for fear of maintenence? :lol2: :lol2:

You bought a 360 over a Diablo for fear of maintenence? :lol2: :lol2:

The best part about the 360 is the FoNA "mandate" that says that the timing belt needs to be changed every 3 years or 15,000 miles. If you don't spend the $5k for that major service, they will simply take it off the selling price when you sell it.

The Diablo belt only needs to be changed........oh wait........nevermind! :eusa_dance:

The 360 is a car I am actually probably going to buy in the next year.............for my wife who can't drive stick (I am serious).

Ugh. I had a 430 Spider and it was by far the biggest POS I've ever owned. I can't imagine the 360 being any better.

Ugh. I had a 430 Spider and it was by far the biggest POS I've ever owned. I can't imagine the 360 being any better.

Just curious...what was so shitty about it...besides it being a Ferrari?

• 3 months later...

Haven't been here for awhile and just came across my own thread. You guys are funny. And, I still wish I could be on the "Dark Side" with you. I know you've questioned my faith but believe me, I can't get the Diablo out of my mind. In the mean time, my Ferrari is seriously nice. She rides like a fine stallion and after a PPI I found that the car is in perfect shape. The 6.0 I wanted was going to be over $60 kilobucks more and I was struggling with that. Someday I'm gonna eventually git me one of these bulls but in the mean time, here's a photo of the prancing horsey.

Doug

Ferrari_Side_3.jpg