Country Clubs

Teufel657

Thoughts/Opinions?

My grandparents have been members since I can remember, so have my parents. I have been contemplating it lately, but the GF doesn't see the advantages. It's a very simple golf and tennis club with a moderately nice clubhouse/pool area.

Being on the North Shore of Chicago, it's a very typical thing to do.

most memberships have a minimum restaurant tab that has to be covered whether you use it or not.

Do you play golf?

How much tennis?

To make it worth while, you have to play a lot of golf and tennis to have it make sense.

My guess is you still work, and cant use it everyday/other day.

My gut says no. Wait till you retire to hang around old fogies.

I play golf, no tennis. It has minimums per month with all greens fees, food, etc. There are separate level memberships for jrs and legacy menses as well.

If it wouldn't take me 45 min (on a good day) to get there it would be worth it. I would love to check it out sometime. I've heard good things.

If it wouldn't take me 45 min (on a good day) to get there it would be worth it. I would love to check it out sometime. I've heard good things.

if you can't take 45 min to go drive cars (which you probably love a hell of a lot more than golf) then I say no on the even more time consuming golf trips!

What's the cost? I'm guessing like $20-50K for an average club?

You could play a hell of a lot of nice golf courses for the cost of a country club/yearly dues. Besides, who wants to sit around a country club with a bunch of old people? Also, would you really want to play the same course over and over? Unless you are at a club that's known for it's course, I find the courses to usually be pretty average.

Cry me a river, its 3 hours one way for me every time I want to do a track day. If its something you want to do you make it happen.

I use local High school tennis courts every summer, and I play tennis 2-3 times a week - don't know why I'd pay for them.

Golf can be worth it, but unless there are a lot of people to network with while you are getting charged premiums I wouldn't do it, especially at your age.

Being on the North Shore of Chicago, it's a very typical thing to do.

You're asking what everyone here thinks based on it being a "typical" snotty thing to do? Be your own man is my response. Doesn't sound like you have any business with a country club as anyone I know that's in one is hardcore about it (and were before they joined too). If everyone became governor and lied to the FEDS would you do it to? It's become pretty typical too you know.

You're asking what everyone here thinks based on it being a "typical" snotty thing to do? Be your own man is my response. Doesn't sound like you have any business with a country club as anyone I know that's in one is hardcore about it (and were before they joined too). If everyone became governor and lied to the FEDS would you do it to? It's become pretty typical too you know.

I'll admit I laughed out loud about the anger in this post.

I see there purpose in them, but i'm firmly of the same opinion as the famous quote by Marx "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

I see there purpose in them, but i'm firmly of the same opinion as the famous quote by Marx "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

:lol2:

I live on a golf course, and I'm not so sure I would ever join. When my Grandpa was a member - it was fun as a kid going to the pool and stuff, lots of hot rich chicks! :monkeyleft:

If you're into tennis, go to local free courts at your high school or something. If you want to just socialize, look into possibly getting a "social membership," if they have those.

There are multiple membership options. I won't join any for 5-7 years, the contacts are great, both my parents have gotten business and gave others business from there. I play plenty of golf, but normally don't have time to travel Other than AZ a few times a year, so that would be a focus.