From Paris Motor Show - New Lambo Concept Car

a007apl

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of those articles that you linked to mentioned something about them having a technology (which I don't understand) that allows them to have active aero, i.e. parts of the car can change shape (I suppose wings can be raised and lowered, or air intakes opened or closed, and so on) without the need for electric motors, thereby providing a much more lightweight way to accomplish this. Sounds very cool.

One of those articles that you linked to mentioned something about them having a technology (which I don't understand) that allows them to have active aero, i.e. parts of the car can change shape (I suppose wings can be raised and lowered, or air intakes opened or closed, and so on) without the need for electric motors, thereby providing a much more lightweight way to accomplish this. Sounds very cool.

I found that quite interesting that's the reason I posted the link.

We are working on lightweight, intelligent materials. I’ve seen a small deflector made from carbonfibre and other materials, which moves when you apply a voltage – you can open and close it with no need for a motor. It means you can change the shape of a car with different aero for handling mode, and another shape when you want maximum speed. Having something that moves by 90deg without the need a heavy, expensive electric motor is good news for us.

look at the front air intakes of the 458 Italia. same thing.

look at the front air intakes of the 458 Italia. same thing.

I thought the 458 front bar winglets, if that's what you are referring to, can only be controlled by the air pressure, are they electrically operated?

I thought the 458 front bar winglets, if that's what you are referring to, can only be controlled by the air pressure, are they electrically operated?

They are air pressure I believe, things changing shape with electrical currents running through them has clearly been developed by Wayne Enterprises.

They are air pressure I believe, things changing shape with electrical currents running through them has clearly been developed by Wayne Enterprises.

I think they used them on Star Trek' Enterprise NCC 1701-A, too... :icon_mrgreen:

things changing shape with electrical currents running through them has clearly been developed by Wayne Enterprises.

About 5 or 6 years ago I manufactured for some research company (not Wayne Enterprises lol) a rig for the purpose of testing this type of product. They called it intelligent polymers or something. They were very secretive about exactly what they were up to or how far development had come and only gave me far fetched hypothetical examples to throw me off what they were really up to with the technology. Since then I'm sure things have come a long way.

Or 150 years ago. Piezoelectric.

carbon fiber is electricaly conductive and could be heated electricaly, if you used a laminate of materials with differing thermal rates of expansion you might be able to get it to move like a bimetalic strip?

Russell

What i'm talking about is materials that change their properties or state depending on electrical current, not heat induced properties.

eg1:

no current = relaxed state.

current = hardened state.

kinda like your dick.

eg2:

no currrent = shape 1

current = shape 2

Yeah, the most obvious possibility would be heat related.

I think a more simple solution would be to create a deformable shell whose contents reacted to voltage. I think there are tons of materials that would suffice in such a case. The magnetic suspensions are a good example of this. Whether or not you can get something very precise using the method, like the shape of an aerodynamically formed splitter, is another story.

Regardless, I think stuff like this is still far off and that R&D is better directed at other things.

Oddly, General Motors has (or had) been working at perfeccting such. About 2 or 3 years ago, Autoline featured GM engineers demonstrating the effectiveness of said current controled devices and their ability to be utilized very efficiently not only as a result of such low amounts of voltage, weight savings, but also the materials ability to return to its sprung or unsprung position without deformation over years and years of service. They specificaly were noting how these materials would be used as hinges to open or close aero devices, even grill slats at highway speeds, as well as, winglets and interior latches.

Also, GM had been developing metals which also react or are able to return to a previously undamaged state by simply adding heat. The example was a sheet of metal which was contorted by hand, think balling paper into a wad, and then submerging the metal for about 1 second into boiling water and the metal immediately returned to its original state.

While Lamborghini may well be the first bring this to market, for many reasons, such as actual customer testing, I believe this will quickly trickle down. I would also be willing to bet that like the Ferrari magna-ride, the technology is rented and does not belong to them. Regardless, love this sci-fi tech turning into reality. Very cool indeed.

Cant imagine what the costs to fix something like this would be if it failed......

Should be cheaper as the unit itself flexes rather than requiring a motor and requisit gears and what not. Notice I said "should be".

Exactly what I thought. Saw someone on tv moving one by pressing on it.

Oddly, General Motors has (or had) been working at perfeccting such. About 2 or 3 years ago, Autoline featured GM engineers demonstrating the effectiveness of said current controled devices and their ability to be utilized very efficiently not only as a result of such low amounts of voltage, weight savings, but also the materials ability to return to its sprung or unsprung position without deformation over years and years of service. They specificaly were noting how these materials would be used as hinges to open or close aero devices, even grill slats at highway speeds, as well as, winglets and interior latches.

Also, GM had been developing metals which also react or are able to return to a previously undamaged state by simply adding heat. The example was a sheet of metal which was contorted by hand, think balling paper into a wad, and then submerging the metal for about 1 second into boiling water and the metal immediately returned to its original state.

While Lamborghini may well be the first bring this to market, for many reasons, such as actual customer testing, I believe this will quickly trickle down. I would also be willing to bet that like the Ferrari magna-ride, the technology is rented and does not belong to them. Regardless, love this sci-fi tech turning into reality. Very cool indeed.

speaking of electrical current, couldn't this be used with a KERS type of system that would not draw any additional power from the car or battery rather than the kinetic energy of the car moving and braking. Remember they DID mention a possible KERS set-up for the new car. So maybe it's not related to a hp boost like on the F1 cars but maybe other things. LOL this is fun specualting on something that doesn't exist. :icon_thumleft: Oh well, back to work.

It would be cool if Lamborghini would pull one and drop an awesome "new" Countach concept. With everyone focused on the Jota no one would expect it. I guess I can dream.

that looks extremely aggressive, maybe we will see the Murcielago replacement first or possibly a V12 powered concept :eusa_think:

looks very Gallardo like very close to its proportions, the front bar side vents look out of place

I'm receive by @, of the one friend mine...

I searched everywhere on the net to find this photo and nobody else has it yet, a007apl please post the whole set :icon_mrgreen:

I searched everywhere on the net to find this photo and nobody else has it yet, a007apl please post the whole set :icon_mrgreen:

I'm hunt more news for us, don't worry.....