The Underground Racing Turbo Gallardo 240mph Crash Video

GARY JAVO

I think the biggest problem is that the location is retarded. Why on Earth would someone want to do 250 mph without being absolutely sure they have enough room to coast/brake? Parachutes? Really?

I have a question. Why aren't they using the salt flats which are absolutely massive instead of this mediocre runway that's tiny?

Are you seriously asking why they don't have a standing mile competition in the salt flats?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you seriously asking why they don't have a standing mile competition in the salt flats?

Yes. They do land speed attempts there at insane speeds, so why not standing mile? It'll change the results some, but I don't see the real difference in standing mile on one medium vs another. Just let people work a bit more to optimize for traction there. I guess it would yield different results, but hey, just call it the standing mile salt flats.

How much does the salt effect traction?

Yes. They do land speed attempts there at insane speeds, so why not standing mile? It'll change the results some, but I don't see the real difference in standing mile on one medium vs another. Just let people work a bit more to optimize for traction there. I guess it would yield different results, but hey, just call it the standing mile salt flats.

How much does the salt effect traction?

A lot.....With the power these cars are putting down they would just spin out.....

The salt flats cause other problems and require different tires. This is why SSC couldn't set their world speed record there. The car had to be a production car. The salt that gets kicked up is also a bit of a problem from what I've read. There was a thread here years ago about a Murcielago owner who drove his car on the salt flats and had lots of resulting problems. Anyone remember that? It's how I found LamboPower.

There are few places suitable to run at very high speeds and still have adequate time to slow down using safer methods, ideally slowly decreasing power.

Too bad the VW 8km long track where the Veyron was tested couldn't be used...that's probably the best place to put it. I know the fences could cause a lot of issue but it would be negigable since wind wouldn't be too much of an issue on that track due to high walls, no?

Too bad the VW 8km long track where the Veyron was tested couldn't be used...that's probably the best place to put it. I know the fences could cause a lot of issue but it would be negigable since wind wouldn't be too much of an issue on that track due to high walls, no?

Yeah a 5.6 mile long straight would be ideal!

I see a number of you saying that there needs to be more training or licenses given for certain speeds. This is ridiculous as who will give them out? How many people can teach how to drive a street car at 250? Its called uncharted territory. Richard likely had more experience and gone faster than anyone else on this forum many times. Its a risk that everyone should be aware of but stop the training crap. In regards to the safety equipment standards I couldn't agree more. Also a safer track that has ample shut down room and lacking concrete curbs would be a great start too.

Not sure how the Mile runs, but it seems like a free for all, with few rules, lots of swagger. Say the event organizers used one day as practice/elimination/systems/safety check day where the high speed cars and drivers do a few 200 mph runs, demonstrate the ability to accelerate smoothly, deploy chutes, brake and stop in a strait line. Do these runs with out losing control of the car, and you are good to go for the record runs on the remaining two days of the event. Also, any track I have been to, drag strip or road course will kick you out if you spin/lose control more than once. Regarding weather, I am not sure how bad the xwinds were, or how gusty it was, but both can fcuk up traction; at some point someone has to call it, and it shouldn't be the competitors.

100 mph!?!?? Perhaps a bit faster than that!!

When it started flipping I think is what they mean. Which was posted in this thread.

From the pics alone I can tell you it's WAY below. Look at where the tug mount (not the deployment bucket) are mounted on racecars, it's high enough that with the chute deployed it's pulling almost directly back. With the mount a good 8-12" off the ground on these cars, it's essentially a huge lever just trying to yank the back end off the ground when the chute pops.

Look at the mount on Kyle's car:

IMG_1348.jpg

That mount should be at least license plate height, preferably pulling right through the rear grill.

I think there are multiple schools of thought on where to place the mount.

BRAD HADMAN DISCUSSES PARACHUTE SAFETY

In our cars, we mount them (the parachutes) down on the bottom side of the rear end, so it is on the bottom of the chassis,

"We’ve been mounting parachutes like this in our cars for quite some time, at least 10 years. It does two things, it keeps the rear-end from rotating, but it’s all tied to the chute mount, so the whole load of that chute mount isn’t just relying on the bolts and the bottom of that housing.”

That's one opinion, with 38 years of experience...

BTW That picture of kyles car has to have the best looking automotive ass in the world..

^ all very well and good but a Gallardo has quite a short wheelbase and a rear mounted engine, very different anatomy compared to a drag car so you can not assume that the same rules should apply.

I think there are multiple schools of thought on where to place the mount.

BRAD HADMAN DISCUSSES PARACHUTE SAFETY

In our cars, we mount them (the parachutes) down on the bottom side of the rear end, so it is on the bottom of the chassis,

"We’ve been mounting parachutes like this in our cars for quite some time, at least 10 years. It does two things, it keeps the rear-end from rotating, but it’s all tied to the chute mount, so the whole load of that chute mount isn’t just relying on the bolts and the bottom of that housing.”

That's one opinion, with 38 years of experience...

BTW That picture of kyles car has to have the best looking automotive ass in the world..

1. They are directly talking about mounting it to the live axle (not IRS) vs to the chassis.

2. Even mounting it to the axle on a drag car puts it at minimum of 18" off the ground static, and closer to 24" when in use. Not the ultra low mount on an exotic like this.

Beyond that, the CG of a drag car is MUCH lower than on a street car, so they get even more leeway in this situation.

1. They are directly talking about mounting it to the live axle (not IRS) vs to the chassis.

2. Even mounting it to the axle on a drag car puts it at minimum of 18" off the ground static, and closer to 24" when in use. Not the ultra low mount on an exotic like this.

Beyond that, the CG of a drag car is MUCH lower than on a street car, so they get even more leeway in this situation.

Like I said.. It's just one opinion, with 38 years of chassis building experience. But there are other ways and other opinions.

And some people think Supercars aren't worth the money. Put all that saftey equipment in a Kia or a damn Prius and see if your ass walks away.

Dude, I bet my ass would walk away from an accident at whatever a prius or kia tops out at if there was a cage and a HANS device. If your cage can't handle a crash at ~90mph it has issues.