The Underground Racing Turbo Gallardo 240mph Crash Video

GARY JAVO

So I wasn't sure if I should post this, but with Richard walking away from this unscathed, and all of the images of the car popping up, I decided that it can't hurt anything, and it just might just keep someone from dying.

First I want to say that I was very impressed with the way UR handled the situation. IMO, they did everything that you can do to get car ready for this task. Richard Holt is a very experienced driver, and I don't think that driver error played a part. There had been a cross wind most of the morning. IMO, when the chute deployed, it pulled the back end of the car to the left causing the car to steer to the right. Once it left the runway, it hit a berm that sent it into the air. The laws of physics took over from there.

I think UR did a great job of preparing the car with the proper safety equipment, and it paid off. Now don't get me wrong, a shitload of luck also came into play, but the cage didn't hurt.

I just happened to be standing on our RV at about half track with a hand held camcorder, so excuse the shaky image (go figure this is the one time I leave the tripod at home). I wanted to share the video for a number of reasons. I know folks are curious about how this happened. I also believe that there are a bunch of racers out there that feel like superman. Hell, I used to be one of them. I hope that this can serve as a wake up call to those guys. Looking back on some of the risky stuff I have done in the past, I realize I have been pretty lucky to walk away without incident (well almost :) ), but you may not be so lucky. Take this time to really take a hard look at your setup.

Richard Holt is a hell of a guy, and I am so glad that he survived this. I have spent plenty of time talking with him and his wife, and they are good people. Kevin and the crew at UR did a great job both before and after the accident.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spectacular vid of an unbelievable crash.

what is the purpose of the berm? it seems to have caused the first endo but what is interesting is how much higher the car got afterwards.

there must be speculation what would have happened had the berm NOT been there. the car was off the runway and..... what is out there?

i am happy that the driver is alive.. what gives me pause is driving a car or motorcycle at 220 - 250 mph without enough runoff after the mile to slowdown without a chute and also, what effect this speed has on the tires.

Guest Rob Burgundy

HOLY SHIT. He really got high up in the air on the 2nd-3rd flip..I think he sent a turbocharger into orbit

wow, that is crazy..... thanks for posting... how long is the runway total?

About 1.5 miles. A couple of years ago, I felt uncomfortable stopping from a measly 222mph at that facility.

The Miami runway is 10 times better. I have said before that it is too bad we can't get the Texas people to put their event on in Miami. They run a great event at a piss poor facility. I spoke with Bohmer for quite some time this weekend (believe it or not, he was a pretty cool guy to talk to this time) and he said they were trying to get a one mile sanctioning body together and have it at the Miami facility. Now that would be the way to go IMO.

All of you saying he was lucky....i don't think it was lucky...if he was lucky...he would have driven the GTT home...

lol

he is iron man.

thanks for the vid...its crazy

Astonishing he managed to walk away from the crash unscathed. Truly astonishing. Hopefully Richard will reign as the fastest lamborghini crash survivor for many years to come.

If you want to run these events professionally and with integrity Miami is not the answer(although a longer runway will definitely improve safety margins!) What's needed is mandatory safety equipment(basically everything thats on a race car) and also MANDATORY driver certification for speeds in excess of 200mph. Holt was lucky LAST year(watch the vid, he was all over the runway), this year he was foolhardy. Its time for the event organizers and tuners to realize it takes more than a combo of cash and horsepower to pull off a 250+ mph run. Without the right equipment and driver training, the next guy will crash and burn for sure!

If you want to run these events professionally and with integrity Miami is not the answer(although a longer runway will definitely improve safety margins!) What's needed is mandatory safety equipment(basically everything thats on a race car) and also MANDATORY driver certification for speeds in excess of 200mph. Holt was lucky LAST year(watch the vid, he was all over the runway), this year he was foolhardy. Its time for the event organizers and tuners to realize it takes more than a combo of cash and horsepower to pull off a 250+ mph run. Without the right equipment and driver training, the next guy will crash and burn for sure!

I'm agree with everything you've said except for the first part. Why do you say that Miami couldn't hold the event? The facility is just that, a facility. It is the organizing body that will determine how the event is run, timed, scored, etc. There's no reason why the Texas Mile people couldn't hold a stellar event at Miami. I believe that the short stopping distance at Goliad was the largest contributor to that crash.

yea, twice as long to slow down in Miami, but not centrally located, probably doesn't matter to the race teams, but for others I'm sure it's a deterrent.... the people that administer the airstrip are also not very open to the events, and haven't allowed an event to span multiple days....

About 1.5 miles. A couple of years ago, I felt uncomfortable stopping from a measly 222mph at that facility.

The Miami runway is 10 times better. I have said before that it is too bad we can't get the Texas people to put their event on in Miami. They run a great event at a piss poor facility. I spoke with Bohmer for quite some time this weekend (believe it or not, he was a pretty cool guy to talk to this time) and he said they were trying to get a one mile sanctioning body together and have it at the Miami facility. Now that would be the way to go IMO.

I'm agree with everything you'v said except for the first part. Why do you say that Miami couldn't hold the event. The facility is just that, a facility. It is the organizing body that will determine how the event is run, timed, scored, etc. There's no reason why the Texas Mile people couldn't hold a stellar event at Miami. I believe that the short stopping distance at Goliad was the largest contributor to that crash.

Miami would be perfect, but as I said, w/o any safety standards the length of the runway is immaterial. For example, many people mentioned high crosswinds. I am a pilot, if the xwind is more than 20 knots I will find another runway to land on. Why did the organizers allow the particpants to make a 250mph pass in these conditions? Last year Holt drove his G for the first time at the event, also w/o a roll cage I believe......

Good to see Richard walk away from this. God was on his side that moment as he was definitely blessed.

Much props to UGR for building Richard that cage that played a role in saving his life!

WOW!!!! That was crazy. Good thing they put the safety equipment in the car.

so contrary to what was posted on the other thread, I saw chute deployed then brakes applied, no?

correct. Sounds like he stayed in it after the chute deployed, so not driver error