New Lamborghini - LP700-4 - Discussion

Hawkan

Im sure lambo probably has alternative wheel styles like how they have roadster wheels and hemera wheels... hopefully they can wow us with another design... Side mirrors...gotta go. Hopefully they can change that in the next variant....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lamborghini-aventador-side-in-motion.jpg

Excellent find! You can also see the size of the new rear spoiler.

Well that is very interesting i''m 90% sure it did not have a spoiler at all when we saw it, looks a lot better for adding it, still adding bits it seems.

Edit: Yep checked with others, definately no spoiler on the cars that were shown.

so many negative comments and opinions on an undisguised mule from people who never seen it, heard it or drove it.

The gearbox is crap, the mirrors got to go, the design is not aggressive enough, the wheels are shit :lol2:

I am with Scud, I am over reading speculatory info and seeing crappy mules trying to figure out the lines of the car and the flow of its design let's just wait until we get to see it properly presented and test drive the beast.

I read all sorts of reviews and driving impressions on the 570, reviews by journos with all sort of agendas after reading most of them I thought to myself, man the car sounds quite disappointing, damn and I was so looking forward to it :(

I stepped in the 570 thinking I will be underwhelmed, I was blown away, I love the car, it is a lot more than I expected, I learned to reserve judgment.

In highschool I told my Latin teacher that I hated Latin language, she simply said "How can you say you hate something that you know nothing about?"

Well that is very interesting i''m 90% sure it did not have a spoiler at all when we saw it, looks a lot better for adding it, still adding bits it seems.

Edit: Yep checked with others, definately no spoiler on the cars that were shown.

I believe the spoiler only deploys (5 or 15 degrees) at speed. Also, I've heard it may deploy under extreme braking? (like the SLR?)

Just think Murci to 670-SV evolution. SV is mostly universally seen as a perfected Murci.

It was mentioned earlier but Lambo has to leave some room in the tank on this one. To me this looks like a pretty awesome starting point. Add a few goodies over time and what will you get with this car...lighter/carbon fiber, new wheels, more power/direct injection, dual clutch, more aggressive aero, etc. Lots of levers to pull to keep the consumer writing checks.

Thoughts about DCT being "too heavy" or "too hard to package" seem to be trivial now, as Porsche is a part of the family and they have had zero problems getting PDK into tight spaces at a decent weight with the 911.

If the MSRP were lower it would be understandable to some extent, but at $450k... :eusa_think:

The Aventador is exciting still, looking forward to yet another supercar on the market, but the "what could have beens" are starting to add up. Maybe as Ken and others are saying the SV version or whatever mid-model upgrade happens to combat the 599's replacement will solve some of our gripes.

:iamwithstupid:

Ya, the common phrase seems to be that this car is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It's not what the Countach was to the Miura, or even the Diablo to the Countach.

I don't understand the transmission thing. Porsche is able to offer their DSG gearbox AND a 3-pedal manual option still.

Everyone talks about depreciation and the baths they take on cars, especially normal production models. Go for a used SV, and wait for these to come down to half their MSRP when everyone dumps them after a few years for a roadster.

very interesting review in particular the description of the transmission, DCT lovers look away :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2010/sp...prototype-22852

Lamborghini LB 837 prototype

First Drive

What we liked

>> All-new V12

>> New ISR gearbox

>> Flattering handling

Not so much

>> Interior yet to be finished (it's a prototype!)

>> Nardo is getting very bumpy

I've never seen this before, and I'm not talking about the 315km/h on the prototype Lamborghini's speedo. It's also not the first time I've seen this sort of speed at night on the high line of the 10km bowl at Italy's Nardo proving ground.

But it is the first time I've seen a solid, foot-wide ball of blue flame sitting, hovering behind a car.

Plenty of fast cars pop out a spurt of flame now and again. You see racing cars do it all the time. It's usually unburnt fuel being spat out the back (or the side) on a downshift, so it's a fleeting thing.

Not here. I'm driving the second of three Lamborghini LP837 prototypes in Nardo, pulling the tallest of the all-new seven-speed gearbox's cogs, so I'm both the hunter and the hunted.

And it's up here that the astonishing ball of blue fire sits, constantly, behind the three exhaust pipes in the middle of the LP837's tail. It's like a fire without a fireplace, except hot enough to be blue and occasionally green, and I know the guy behind me has the same view.

Driving up here in the fast lane isn't as easy as it sounds, either, because time has been cruel to the Nardo bowl since its glory days of the 400km/h plus record runs of 15 years ago. Even Lambo's regular testers admit it is getting pretty dangerous on the high line and has a 'technical' speed limit of just 240km/h.

The headlights are strobing up and down the road on high beam as the nose of the Lamborghini is thrown up and down violently over concrete pimples you probably wouldn't notice at 100km/h. Yet at this speed, they become hits so violent that the front end's suspension is clanging into the bump stops and it takes extreme commitment to keep the multi-million dollar prototype up near the barrier.

We're out here well past midnight because it's the only time the big V12 Lambo can run without its camouflage -- and the airflow the LP837 generates at 300 is disturbingly cruel on slap-on camouflage parts.

Meantime the all-new V12 engine and gearbox are doing it easily; cruising on part throttle with plenty of gristle left and going a long way to justifying the claims of Lamborghini's Technical Director, Maurizio Reggiani, that it's a 350km/h-plus machine.

As impressive as the engine is, the gearbox is every bit its match. Lighter than the unit it replaces and now with seven speeds, the race-spec unit eschews double-clutch technology by running a twin-plate clutch and rips through gears faster than you can believe possible.

In its most-aggressive Corsa mode, the Independent Shifting Rod (ISR) gearbox bangs home the next gear with just a 0.05 second pause in the V12's fury. It's hardly worth worrying about the demise of Lamborghini's traditional open-gate chrome manual shift, because no human can get anywhere near its shift time with a manual 'box.

Unlike the only other gearboxes to get close to the Lamborghini's shift time (in Ferrari's F430 Scuderia and the 599 GTO), Lamborghini has made sure you can feel the shift, clanging each of them home with fury and a rich, metallic thump. But it's also a much better unit when you're trickling around at low speed and it's very good now in its most-relaxed setting, with the more-sophisticated computer controls allowing it to slide open and closed more gently than previous systems.

The other big difference, besides the containment of all its oil and hydraulic lines within the case's casting, is that Lamborghini broke up the traditional gear pairings (one-two, three-four for example) so it could simultaneously disengage one while it was engaging the other. And it works superbly.

But there's no escaping that monster V12. No larger than the one it replaces, it's all new with eight scavenge pumps in its dry sump, a massively oversquare bore-to-stroke ratio to lower the piston speeds and it's lighter than the old motor by around 20kg.

It's not the technology we're here for. It's how much we can throw at the car and have it keep going. And you can throw plenty. Prototypes are normally fussy things, with bits and pieces hanging off them where the boffins plug in any number of sensors or cut holes in things randomly to get at sensitive areas. Not these three.

All carbon-fibre below decks, the LP837s feel immensely strong from the second you climb into them. The ride quality is brilliant, especially given that there is no electrically adjustable suspension and that the single-rate, pushrod suspension system has been taken directly from racing.

It's also quiet when you want it to be -- maybe a little too quiet -- but it's absolutely brutal and manic when you attack the throttle in either the Sport or Corsa modes.

In production, it will rev to 8250rpm, but these ones don't hit the limiter until 8500 -- except the older yellow one that is limited to 7800. Were it not for the limiters, they all feel like they'd burst past 9000 without a complaint.

A lot of the warbles and inconsistencies in the Murcielago's engine are gone, replaced by a beautifully linear, brutally hard bellow that turns into a full-blooded scream at high revs.

And it punches. Hard. With around 515kW (700hp) the LP837 attacks its redline willingly and often, but more importantly, it's geared up for fabulous accuracy and subtlety to the driver's right foot.

It is astonishingly adjustable mid-corner in any gear, at any speed. You can feather the throttle just a touch and you can easily, repeatedly ask for the difference between 7459rpm and 7467. It might not have direct injection, but you can't argue with the results.

If sound and fury is how you like your supercars, the LP837 won't disappoint. If you like your supercars super dangerous in their handling, then you should look elsewhere. No other supercar will be as easy to drive fast as this one.

On Nardo's 6.2km handling circuit that has tricky, tightening 240km/h corners, double-apex, fourth-gear bends and airborne crests mid-corner, the LP837 prototypes quickly build your confidence then do everything they can to retain it.

The front end communicates beautifully, with its race-bred suspension attached directly to a carbon chassis that is twice as stiff as the Murcielago's tube-frame design. The back end never feels like it will unglue in the ultra-dangerous, high-speed corners... It's exactly the opposite of the Murcielago.

Instead, it is composed, it is smooth and it feels infinitely adjustable. When you run it out of grip at the front, the steering tells you a long way before, then gently falls into a lighter state until it regains all its grip again. The rear end will step out only with everything switched off and with extreme provocation from the driver.

It will happily drive on understeer or, in the Sport or Corsa modes, mild oversteer and, in fact, it's at its best when the driver picks it up and throws it at a corner with just a trace of oversteer before picking up the throttle again. That way, the new Haldex IV all-wheel drive system instantly flits torque around the car and eradicates understeer -- letting all four Pirellis do their best to rip the stones out of the tarmac, then firing out the next straight with an urgency that few humans have felt from a production car.

No other supercar feels this integrated -- and this is a prototype. It is so easy to drive, quickly or slowly, that it basically eradicates the direct, physical threat you felt every time you stepped into a Murcielago, but it's no less an event for it.

Finished it will be around the 1450-1500kg mark, but it feels lighter than that, probably because the chassis is so stiff that it does everything you ask of it with an almost-intuitive directness.

This carbon fibre tub weighs just 147.5kg and the entire body-in-white is 229.5kg, but it boasts an astonishing 35,000Nm/degree torsional stiffness, and that's the key here.

Inside, the prototypes were unfinished, but promise a high, wide central tunnel, a much-straighter driving position and a lot of the designs hinted at with the Reventon project.

Lamborghini engine data

Engine L537 (LP640) -- L539 (LP837)

Weight 253kg -- 235kg

Comp. ratio 11.1 -- 11.8:1

Capacity 6495.7cc -- 6498.5cc

Power 640hp -- 700hp

@ rpm 8000rpm -- 8250rpm

Torque 660Nm -- 690Nm

@ rpm 6000rpm -- 6000rpm

Bore spacing 95mm -- 103.5mm

I think everyone just needs to relax and wait for the car to debut.

If you are actually considering buying one, I think you will find it hard to get a better performing production car for 500K. The 599 GTO is the only real competitor and that is a limited car and pretty much unavailable. And no the GT2 RS is not competition. Its a Porsche. It does not have the styling etc to be in the same league.

Styling is subjective. Some people like it, some don't. All that matters is the with 500K in his pocket likes it. Everyone else can go suck eggs.

That's odd that you guys didn't have a spoiler on that car. Maybe you missed it and thought it was part of the rear body panel? When it's down it sits flush with the body so I could see where someone might have thought it was the edge of the rear fascia assembly.

Guest Rob Burgundy

Isn't this the exact same thing the dual clutch gear boxes do that you guys are so upset this doesn't have? I think this new transmission sounds pretty great..

"The other big difference, besides the containment of all its oil and hydraulic lines within the case's casting, is that Lamborghini broke up the traditional gear pairings (one-two, three-four for example) so it could simultaneously disengage one while it was engaging the other. And it works superbly"

Isn't this the exact same thing the dual clutch gear boxes do that you guys are so upset this doesn't have? I think this new transmission sounds pretty great..

"The other big difference, besides the containment of all its oil and hydraulic lines within the case's casting, is that Lamborghini broke up the traditional gear pairings (one-two, three-four for example) so it could simultaneously disengage one while it was engaging the other. And it works superbly"

At the presentation the presenter said something about the transmission being ready to shift into the next gear and that's why you get the 50ms shifts.

That was my exact thought as well and couldnt understand why people were getting so worked up about the no dual clutch thing. Sounds like its pretty much the same thing with a different operation.

At the presentation the presenter said something about the transmission being ready to shift into the next gear and that's why you get the 50ms shifts.

seems the 458's box shifts in 0.04s and this is 0.05s

Guest Rob Burgundy

Damn. What will everyday gucci loafered wearing guys in Malibu do without the extra thousandth of a second. As I recall the lp700 has 700 horsepower and a carbon fiber chassis. I'm sure the time will be made up somewhere else ;)

I think the 458 shifts in 60 ms the new car shifts on 50 ms, for reference porsche pdk is 40 ms, gtr 100 ms, so the new car shifts are very, very fast.

Its more a case of what else others are doing very shortly and what can de done with dual clutch in terms of smoothness, launch, etc, volkswagon new stuff is supposed to shift in 6 ms, hopefully it will filter through, nothing wrong with what Lambo is doing, just the game moves on or has already done so, every one else is using dual clutch so when the car is released we will see which is best.

You're both wrong.

The 458 is a DSG. It is a seem less gear box. Any time between shifts is built into the shift by the manufacture. Same for the GTR.

For comparison on the new car. A Scuderia shifts in 60 milliseconds. The new LP 700 shifts in 50 milliseconds. Both are fast for a single clutch box but neither are as good as a DSG.

i was looking THIS POST

it talks about the pictures showed on the magazine QUATTRORUOTE.

i think the pictures are very close to the mule spotted,now that many of you have seen the real prototype,how much this pictures are close to the model?

5445.jpg

4554y.jpg

i was looking THIS POST

it talks about the pictures showed on the magazine QUATTRORUOTE.

i think the pictures are very close to the mule spotted,now that many of you have seen the real prototype,how much this pictures are close to the model?

Not close. The new car has more curves and looks a lot better than thos pictures.

I must say, "I have seen the beast and the beast is HE!!" I saw the LP 700-4 in NYC today at the IAC building and I must say, the car is really not even an evolution of the Murcie. It has some subtle cues but it really is inspired by avionics and performance. The car is hands down EPIC!!!!!! Got a pic with Winkelmann and to quote him, "we are now about design and performance" and he challenged his engineers 4 years ago

NO Competitors!

Guys, no question, this car is an amazing platform that will live up to that creed for years to come. I am now PUMPED!!!! Gonna step it up :eusa_dance:

I must say, "I have seen the beast and the beast is HE!!" I saw the LP 700-4 in NYC today at the IAC building and I must say, the car is really not even an evolution of the Murcie. It has some subtle cues but it really is inspired by avionics and performance. The car is hands down EPIC!!!!!! Got a pic with Winkelmann and to quote him, "we are now about design and performance" and he challenged his engineers 4 years ago

NO Competitors!

Guys, no question, this car is an amazing platform that will live up to that creed for years to come. I am now PUMPED!!!! Gonna step it up :eusa_dance:

So does it, in your opinion, look much different from all these mule pictures we've seen? Because if it doesn't look much different, well, most of us would say that (style-wise), it's just a mild evolution from the Murcie . . . .