2011 MB S63 AMG 5.5 V8 Bi-turbo

AJGlobal

Anyone driven one yet ?

Was at the dealer picking up my S63 that was in for service and I decided to walk the showroom. They have one sitting on the floor.

Sticker shows 536HP (previous model is 518HP) which I was not to impressed with but then I noticed that this car had the AMG performance package which is an extra $7,300. On previous models this was bigger brakes and upgraded suspension with different wheels. Now they have added extra HP to this option. It said +27HP which brings the car to right around 560HP. Now call me crazy but if you don't want the performance package but wanted the extra HP I'm sure it would not be to hard seeing that its a TT. Simple tune to add some boost and you got more HP.

This car had the designo package as well for $11k. Total MSRP was $171k. Mind you the car looks exactly the same as my car with some minor differences here and there and of course the different engine. My car stickered for around $136k I think and its loaded with the exception of the rear seat package so I'm trying to justify the extra $35k for 40 more HP. Its almost $10k for every extra 10HP !!!! It will be interesting to see how fast the price on these new model plummets once there are a few out there.

I will add that my current S63 is by far the best DD I've ever had. Got it new in '08 as the prices were falling and picked it up for a lot less than sticker. I would only get rid of it to replace it with something along the same lines but $170k it ridiculous. Even at $150k its still overpriced IMO. You can get a S65 for around $100k with some miles on it and have 600+ HP.

I asked to take it for a test drive but supposedly its a customers car that was ordered and they are debating on taking delivery. Sales guy is gonna call me tomorrow if the deal falls through so I can drive it.

I don't see what was wrong with the old 6.2L

The S63 was perfect. S65 (used for the money might be great) - but the 63 is a great engine/solid car.

Black on black S63 - yes please.

AJ

Don't miss that the perf pkg takes the tq to 663 lbs.......I think you're running low 400's.

The pkg is well worth it if you're getting a new one, whether a new one is worth it well that's up to you. But the tq is a massive difference, and better mpg and co2....if u care.

AJ

Don't miss that the perf pkg takes the tq to 663 lbs.......I think you're running low 400's.

The pkg is well worth it if you're getting a new one, whether a new one is worth it well that's up to you. But the tq is a massive difference, and better mpg and co2....if u care.

I didn't see the tq specs. I guess I should have looked. Even so, my thinking is with the current engine being a N/A engine it makes it hard to get more HP out of it for a reasonable amount of money. Lets say for this example that reasonable is in the $2k to $4k range. Not everyone has the same thinking when it comes to reasonable aftermarket spending.

With a TT engine straight from the factory I can see getting a lot more HP and TQ out of the 5.5 in the $2k to $4k price range and a lot more if you spend $7,300, at least twice what the AMG performance package gives you. All they are doing is changing the tune to give you that extra 27HP.

So with that in mind, you dump the performance package and the designo package and your in the $150k range if you buy new. Spend your few thousand and get twice the HP for half the money.

I'll wait and see what prices do before I consider selling mine and picking up a new one but I won't buy new unless I get a smokin deal like I did on my '08.

Anyone know if the sound changed drastically compared to the 63 AMG? Best engine sound ever with the gallardo V10 and GT3.

Just a side note, the reason why the 63 motors sound so good, is because MB had the lead engineer for the Carrera GT motor development, design them.

Anyone know if the sound changed drastically compared to the 63 AMG? Best engine sound ever with the gallardo V10 and GT3.

That is an excellent question! The other question is what will this engine be putting out in the SLS and the C-class.

That is an excellent question! The other question is what will this engine be putting out in the SLS and the C-class.

the sls doesn't have this engine, and figure the c class around 470ish would be my guess based on the difference in power between the last s63 and the last c63

Those are your top 3 engine sounds of all time?

Just a side note, the reason why the 63 motors sound so good, is because MB had the lead engineer for the Carrera GT motor development, design them.

Very cool trivia.

Even the older AMG V8s sounded pretty good too....Benz has BMW beat in this department, IMHO.

No of the past few years, I forgot the porsche carrera GT and zonda though.

I have never heard a ferrari 250 GTO or 275 GTB so I can't comment on those, only played the 275 in a game and that was crazy.

No kidding. Has anyone ever looked back at the AMG N/A M137 5.8 V12?

Wish your S or CL sounded like this?

Buy an 07 E63-same engine as the car you have-$40,000 and put the other $120,000 into investments or the bank. Benz's are great to buy 3-4 years after they come out.

If your going to spend $100,000 buy an Arnage.

In other news MB released the S350 Bluetec. For those of us who love Diesel it's great news. Something so cool about putting 250,000 miles on an S class.

In other news MB released the S350 Bluetec. For those of us who love Diesel it's great news. Something so cool about putting 250,000 miles on an S class.

Not only that, but at 26x hp and 47x ft/lbs stock, that thing has some room to grow. With $600 in tuning it very well could be a 350hp, 600ft/lb, 30+ mpg car.

So far diesels still kick the piss out of hybrids in about every arena.

the sls doesn't have this engine, and figure the c class around 470ish would be my guess based on the difference in power between the last s63 and the last c63

You don't think this engine is going to find it's way into the SLS?

Hmmmmm......

that just wrong :lol2:

the sound was sickening you expect to see a sports car to come around the corner not a grandpa mobile

HOW DO I ACQUIRE?! What did they do, drop that motor in?

I remember that MB made a few cars with their 7.3L engine (Zonda motor), S73 and the popular SL73. That would be nuts!

HOW DO I ACQUIRE?! What did they do, drop that motor in?

I remember that MB made a few cars with their 7.3L engine (Zonda motor), S73 and the popular SL73. That would be nuts!

It was used from 98-02 as I recall in the 5.8 version, only in the CL600 and S600L. I believe there is a 6.3 version which was in the CL and S 63 around the same timeframe. Ranged from like 370-450hp depending on the version.

Not crazy powerful but it does sound amazing for a rolling lazy-boy.

I would imagine they are pretty difficult to find these days.

You don't think this engine is going to find it's way into the SLS?

Hmmmmm......

The SLS is a 6.3 with more HP than the version in the S63 I have. Great way to make a new car, charge a shitload of money and already have the engine built. I'm guessing the new SLS will get the upgraded treatment as now the S63 with the 5.5 TT and the performance package will have the same HP as the SLS right on the dot. 563HP.

on a side note the sales guy called me this afternoon and told me the car is available to test drive. I guess the person who ordered it backed out. I'm going to go there tomorrow and take it for a spin.

Car looks sick!!!! Though I can almost taste the MB depreciation from those pics!!!

HAHAHAHAH...the exact same thing I thought of as well especially after we were discussing your Black Series in those emails a week or so ago!