Buying high mile exotics

ibglobal

Im looking into getting into an exotic and after looking around it seems that most have around 2-4k /year average. Anyone here have exeriance on exotics that are past the 30k-40k mark.

I've been looking at a early year gallardo or newer R8's.

Gallardos with high miles are no worries...

I have 17k on my 560.

I believe the current owner of my 04 has about 35k on it.

And my track buddy has over 50k on her Superlegerra.

All the above with only the usual maintenance and a clutch or two. Other than that, the G's are rock solid.

Not that I've had any personal experience with the car, but there's been plenty of stories about high milage cars on the forums.

I remember back when the G was still and new car (couple years at most) there were several members with millage reporting in the 30k range.

it's my understanding that these motors just get better as they are used. Seems like a higher millage early car would be more desirable than a low millage early car as long as service has been done properly.

Gallardos with high miles are no worries...

I have 17k on my 560.

I believe the current owner of my 04 has about 35k on it.

And my track buddy has over 50k on her Superlegerra.

All the above with only the usual maintenance and a clutch or two. Other than that, the G's are rock solid.

Great post Mike

G's are truly very solid cars.

I'm sure others will chime in here with more miles but I'm at 26k on my 05 G and I agree with the other posts. It feels like its getter better and better the more miles it gets. Obviously there is going to be more wear and tear (seats, stone chips etc) but as far as the engine goes it seems to be getting better with miles

Contact Doltmo or just look at his Avatar to see his mileage. I would imagine he has near 60K on his 06 Gallardo. Only thing he has ever said is that the car felt faster the more miles it had.

This is all good to hear from owners. When I saw the "higher" mile Gallardos for sale, to me, that was a sign that owners drove them and were confident enough in the mechanics of the car to drive them a lot more than I had ever seen an exotic driven. Glad that the mechanical ability of the Gallardo has shown you don't have to necessarily be scared right off by miles on an exotic anymore.

Surely opens up more opportunities when the time comes along that I can look into one.

This is all good to hear from owners. When I saw the "higher" mile Gallardos for sale, to me, that was a sign that owners drove them and were confident enough in the mechanics of the car to drive them a lot more than I had ever seen an exotic driven. Glad that the mechanical ability of the Gallardo has shown you don't have to necessarily be scared right off by miles on an exotic anymore.

Surely opens up more opportunities when the time comes along that I can look into one.

Every engine opens up later in the cars life cycle. So it will feel a bit faster and more smooth once the car has been broken in...most manufacturers say the break in period being a couple thousand miles before you can gun it, well similarily, 60k miles and that's when the engine will open up to its best.

Honda engines get their true full power at 100k miles actually. It doesn't mean the engine isn't working, but at those milesages, the cars run at their best if they've been properly maintained because it's had time to go with the current parts.

What about any problems?

I remember "Luxeous's" ex 05' gallardo sold with 20k miles and then something blew (Or something like that).

Has there been instances where there has been serious problems?

This thread makes me more confident in higher mileage gallardo

No problems.

Get a PPI from a well known shop, and you should be good to go.

I sold my Gallardo with 90,000km on it. I had no really issues until I hit 50,000km. At 64,000km my motor needed a rebuild. I blew my power steering pump, a/c compressor, a/c condensor. My sway bar bushings broke, replaced a few clutches, replaced brake pads/rotors, a few windshields, lots of tires, replaced a/c fans, replaced throw out bearing, had to fix rear spoiler, lots of little things had to be adjusted or replaced. Zapper is the new owner and he has had some over heating issues and replaced fuel pumps. The G is like any Audi, things will need to be replaced or fixed but it's not as fragile as an older Lambo and the parts are available! I wouldn't be worried about a higher milage car, just try and get as many service records as possible to make sure maintenance hasn't been neglected.

What about any problems?

I remember "Luxeous's" ex 05' gallardo sold with 20k miles and then something blew (Or something like that).

Has there been instances where there has been serious problems?

This thread makes me more confident in higher mileage gallardo

Problem is you won't hear about the bad things. Most people don't want to talk about the bad things because they may want to sell their car someday and don't want it on a shit list. Luxeous's former car did have an engine failure at about 20k miles. It was a freak thing though and even the tech who looked at it said it just didn't make sence considering that it hadn't been beaten on. The engine has since been rebuilt and he car is running strong.

Problem is you won't hear about the bad things. Most people don't want to talk about the bad things because they may want to sell their car someday and don't want it on a shit list. Luxeous's former car did have an engine failure at about 20k miles. It was a freak thing though and even the tech who looked at it said it just didn't make sence considering that it hadn't been beaten on. The engine has since been rebuilt and he car is running strong.

I think Raj hit the nail on the head. There are very few instances we actually hear of because unless a person comes on the forum looking for advice of HOW to fix their car (or help diagnosing it), I am sure the majority just service the car quietly when issues arise. There was an instance a couple years ago where a member had posted that he was having problems with the rearview mirror in his Gallardo leaking. Another member replied to him and told him that rather than order a new one from Lamborghini, he could save money by just retrofitting it with an identical unit from an Audi A4 (which he then did). Problem solved right?

However, when this member went to sell his car a year later and posted that his car was "always dealer serviced", another member jumped all over him and referred back to that thread in argument.

Just an example of course as there were other items mentioned in that thread (obviously something like that is NOT a reason to pass up buying a car), but that is a good instance of what Gasman said when he mentioned people potentially staying quiet about the "bad" stuff. Most of the owners here who have had problem free cars are very quick to say, "20k miles on mine, no problems whatsoever and only maintenance has been oil changes". The ones who may have had smaller issues like the above seem to be on the quieter side. :)

That being said, it does seem like the newer Lambo's are near bullet-proof cars, and they seem to just get stronger and stronger with miles.

Also keep in mind that even though there might not be a difference in mechanical strength or reliability between a 20k mile car and a 40k mile car, IMO there is often not nearly enough of a price difference to justify the higher mileage (ie its hard to justify purchasing a 50k mile 2004 G for 70k, when a 20k mile G is only selling for 80-85k. The lower mile car then becomes a no brainer in my opinion (especially considering the resale it will have a year or 2 later). :)

Anyways, I am still a lowly non-owner at this point so take any of this with a grain of salt. :lol2: Just my .02 from having been on the board for so long.

Ok, ok...I lied. I'm sorry.

My 560 had a broken window switch at 11,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty.

At the dealer!

Ok, ok...I lied. I'm sorry.

My 560 had a broken window switch at 11,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty.

At the dealer!

Sorry to say, I'm guilty too...I had a stupid signal light warning on dash at 39,000 miles. Lambo of Newport Beach fixed it via data communication with Lambo factory. cost: $58.

My G:

m50_1243980488_3584325261_a7b3256ee8_b.jpg

m50_1243980534_DSC_1923.jpg

I have yet to see a post from an owner with true high miles like 50k+. 20-30k car are just starting to break in and realistically nothing should go wrong. Once you hit 50-75k now the potential for problems should arise.

I feel owners with 50k+ miles should chime in to give a better perspective of what to expect.

I dont want to look an exotic driven less than 5k/yr.

I have yet to see a post from an owner with true high miles like 50k+

I feel owners with 50k+ miles should chime in to give a better perspective of what to expect.

You should read my post on the first page!

IMHO a "high" mileage should be purchased to enjoy, not with an eye towards resale. They are also prime candidates for forced induction!!