105 year old film clip

nick lambo

**105 YEAR OLD FILM CLIP**

*San Francisco before traffic laws/lights and the 1906 earthquake.*

"you are there" for a cable car ride in San Francisco "

This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever that has come to light. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car as it`s traveling down the street. You feel as if your really there, standing at the front looking down the street, amazing piece of historic film.

The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. ... How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!

Great historical film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot.

From New York trade papers announcing the film showing the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!) .. It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th

1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing, but true!

No wonder there had to be laws created to regulate driving habits. This is insane. Good thing they couldn't go very fast.

This is a fascinating movie. A camera on the front of a street car 105 years ago. I watched it a couple of times. Look at the hats the ladies were wearing and the long dresses. Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side. I wonder when they standardized on the left? Sure was still a lot of horse drawn vehicles in use. Mass transit looked like the way to get around. Looks like everybody had the right of way.

Perhaps the oldest "home movie" that you will ever see!*

very cool,

the music makes it :D

but seriously, theres just so many people and things going on, i wouldnt have thought that over 100 years ago

Its crazy to think that from then to now is just one ( very long one) lifetime. Its film clips like this that make me think development of new areas and technology progression over the next 100 years will be shocking to future generations that watch clips of 2011 in 100 years

Incredibly amazing,. newspaper boys, pedestrians almost getting run over ... I never seen so many people just running around, seemingly aimlessly. I could watch this 10X and never get bored ... a living time machine.

I didn't see one guy that wasn't wearing a hat. Very cool video. Drivers were as crazy then as they are now! The camera must have been huge since you could see so many noticing it and playing to it. Neat stuff.

I didn't see one guy that wasn't wearing a hat.

Men in America wore hats.... Until John Kennedy became President. John Kennedy didnt wear a hat, and that was the end of it.

The driving habits suggest it still was a Wild Wild West, I wonder how many accidents they had per day.

Men in America wore hats.... Until John Kennedy became President. John Kennedy didnt wear a hat, and that was the end of it.

That's interesting. Any more cool stories about JFK? I think his line to the ladies of "let's go over there for a very serious talk" is still useable today :)

Very cool.

I normally like to ride that cable car about once every few weeks down to the Ferry building - unfortunately it has been out of commission for maintenance since December.

Incredibly amazing,. newspaper boys, pedestrians almost getting run over ... I never seen so many people just running around, seemingly aimlessly. I could watch this 10X and never get bored ... a living time machine.

What is probably more telling...is that a lot of the people in the movie probably died in the earthquake..as this was a snapshot in time changed forever...a few days later..very amazing this movie made it...

Surreal to watch for all of the reasons posted above. I was surprised that people didn't look any less in a hurry then than they do now in bigger cities. Thanks for sharing!

:iamwithstupid: I agree. I was absolutely amazed watching that video. We are very fortunate for a video like that to exist. Fascinate stuff and indeed, a real life glimpse into another time.

Thanks for posting!

Do you guys realize that stuff like this will never happen again? Future generations will know pretty much everything about us thanks to the internet and hard drives.

I wish dinosaurs carried laptops with cameras built in...