First Aventador Performance numbers coming in...

Allan-Herbie

As Fikse rightly says though, these are ALL 10-second cars...are you really going to lose sleep because someone is running around in a hopped-up boogeyman MP4?

You could do that right now if that's the thought, because of all the G-TTs out there that blow the doors off anything no?

The reasons the Aventahor is compelling to me are the same reasons EVO mentioned in their write up today. No other car does as many things right as it does at the same time. Some are better in certain areas, but it really is a great total package...something Lambo has never done before in a flagship model.

From its looks, the presence of the low/wide Lambo wedge, to the revised and much more lux interior, to the vastly improved Haldex gear, to the lower center of gravity providing increased feel in high-g turns, to even the low-speed performance of the tranny, this is the best Lamborghini ever made in every writeup so far...some even going so far as to say by a wide margin.

The "junior" cars don't offer what the Aventahor does in a lot of ways, from the doors, to the lack of visual violence. Neither the 458 or the MP4 would turn a single head parked next to one, and to think otherwise is biased thinking. They just wouldn't, and you know I love the MP4 personally.

Even an Enzo would be a 50/50 propsotion next to this thing to an observer...that has to count for something. :icon_thumleft:

What color did you order?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aventador is still more interesting since it's newer and fresher, but a good color 560 still looks pretty awesome.

By itself yes though next to each other the baby does loose some charm.

:eusa_think:

What would they need to pace for?

You remember the Oz track day I jumped the gun on thinking the LP-700 was going to be there? A Gallardo ended up getting airborne and was stopped by a tree.

As Fikse rightly says though, these are ALL 10-second cars...are you really going to lose sleep because someone is running around in a hopped-up boogeyman MP4?

You could do that right now if that's the thought, because of all the G-TTs out there that blow the doors off anything no?

The reasons the Aventahor is compelling to me are the same reasons EVO mentioned in their write up today. No other car does as many things right as it does at the same time. Some are better in certain areas, but it really is a great total package...something Lambo has never done before in a flagship model.

From its looks, the presence of the low/wide Lambo wedge, to the revised and much more lux interior, to the vastly improved Haldex gear, to the lower center of gravity providing increased feel in high-g turns, to even the low-speed performance of the tranny, this is the best Lamborghini ever made in every writeup so far...some even going so far as to say by a wide margin.

The "junior" cars don't offer what the Aventahor does in a lot of ways, from the doors, to the lack of visual violence. Neither the 458 or the MP4 would turn a single head parked next to one, and to think otherwise is biased thinking. They just wouldn't, and you know I love the MP4 personally.

Even an Enzo would be a 50/50 propsotion next to this thing to an observer...that has to count for something. :icon_thumleft:

Good post. The thing is isn't that what everyone is saying about the MP4? It does EVERYTHING perfectly... S-Class/Bentley smooth on the streets in street mode to weekend racer, then to borderline GT3 class trackability. An easy daily driver car.

The ONLY thing the Aventador actually has going for it is as you said the "visual violence" (nice phrase btw Mako) set it apart from anything made. Eventhough like I've always said, it could've been moreso "Enzo/Zonda-ish" WOW oh my god, wtf is that thing sick. Are we being dumbed down because the next best looking car is a freakin' 458? So everyone's clamoring over the Aventador. Again it's good enough to be sold, but coulda been better in all the aforementioned aspects.

Engine: V12, 6.5-litre

Max power: 691bhp

Max torque: 509lb ft

0 - 60mph: 2.8 secs (2.9 secs, 0-62mph)

Top speed: 217mph

[+]

Howling V12, true supercar acceleration and towering performance, it looks and feels as a Lamborghini should.

[-]

There's no disguising the weight and width.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarrevi...004_review.html

Guest Rob Burgundy

:icon_thumleft:

"How does it compare?

The line between supercar and hyper-car has been blurred with the arrival of the Aventador, and with nearly 700bhp for £211,000 it actually offers – relative – value for money in terms of power for your pound. It's difficult to think of it in terms of rivals, other than the car it replaced in SV form, in which case it's noticably better in just about every respect. And just like its wild predecessor, it's a slightly flawed gem, but all the more loveable for it. For now, though, if you want a mid-engined supercar with all the heritage that comes with the Aventador, there's nothing to touch it. "

Evo's first drive review isn't exactly glowing, but it's isn't bad either. Seem like a good review. I think we'll have to wait for them to get their own cars on their own tracks and such. I don't expect to hear that much from this factory press day.

Lambo Aventador - in the hot seat - Tester

I know this car, I’ve known it for a while in fact. Two years ago Lamborghini invited me to Nardo to have a go in a very early prototype. They wanted to know what I thought of it, basically. And I thought it was incredible, even then.

Now they’ve made it better still. Much better still. And the most impressive thing of all, for me, is the structural integrity of the car; and you only ever get that feeling from a car that has a carbonfibre monocoque at its core.

On road or track, the Aventador just feels so rigid and pure in its responses. You can feel the benefits of that tub from just about everything it does dynamically; the laser-like precision with which it steers, and turns in; the fundamental lack of roll, pitch or dive it suffers from – be that in a quick or slow corner, or under hard acceleration and braking.

There is, in the end, no substitute for having a core structure that’s this stiff, this correct (or this expensive). And in a round about kind of way, that’s why the Aventador doesn’t have a dual clutch gearbox – because it would have eaten into the budget that was otherwise earmarked ‘carbonfibre tub.’

Thus, although the gearshift of this car isn’t anywhere near as sharp as it is in a Ferrari 458 or McLaren MP4-12C, I’m glad Lamborghini spent the money on the tub; because it’s what defines the driving experience. It’s the centre point from which all other elements of the car (including a proper on-board pushrod suspension system) can then grow.

So what you get with the Aventador, ultimately, is an immediacy of response – an ability to change direction seemingly in a heart beat without there being a corresponding reaction from anywhere else within the car – that is categorically at odds with what you’d expect, given how vast it is physically, and how intimidating it is visually.

You want it to turn in at 92mph on a trailing throttle, and then just stick itself to the ground all the way towards and, eventually, through the exit of a third gear corner? No problemo amigo; just aim that big, sharp nose at the apex, get your braking point right (that’s pretty key…), turn in with commitment. And the Aventador will obey. Like few other mid-engined supercars you’ve ever driven will, but which also happen to be four-wheel drive and weigh 1575kg dry.

If there’s element that disappoints, it’s the ESP system. When you’re fully lit behind the wheel, when your brain has entered its most indulgent ‘faster-faster’ mode, the ESP does come on a little early. If we’re being picky.

As you can read elsewhere, there are various drive modes you can select from inside the cockpit, but only when you reach for the ‘off’ button do you get to experience the purity of the Aventador’s chassis; the precision of response that lies at its core. And if you don’t switch it off, you’ll never fully realise what that carbonfibre tub is all about, because the electronics will intrude and sort things out. Long before they get out of hand.

Which is fair enough, really, when there’s 690bhp and a quarter of a million quid at stake. But it would seem a shame not to take a peek over the edge every once in a while, because the view – I guarantee – is absolutely stunning. This car handles. With a great big capital F.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthew...e-hot-seat.aspx

Good post. The thing is isn't that what everyone is saying about the MP4? It does EVERYTHING perfectly... S-Class/Bentley smooth on the streets in street mode to weekend racer, then to borderline GT3 class trackability. An easy daily driver car.

The ONLY thing the Aventador actually has going for it is as you said the "visual violence" (nice phrase btw Mako) set it apart from anything made. Eventhough like I've always said, it could've been moreso "Enzo/Zonda-ish" WOW oh my god, wtf is that thing sick. Are we being dumbed down because the next best looking car is a freakin' 458? So everyone's clamoring over the Aventador. Again it's good enough to be sold, but coulda been better in all the aforementioned aspects.

Agree, but as I'm about to say below, the MP4 is world-beater...and despite the MSRP differences it's actually a GOOD thing to be compared to it, even if you come up slightly lacking in some areas, and even if your price tag is higher. The 458 can't say the same, and neither can the 599, both pale in comparison to the MP4 if we go with the factory numbers just to play devil's advocate.

So in that light the Aventahor does ok, maybe even shines, it's all in what you expect from it.

Do agree that styling is something that's getting lost to regs, emissions, crash safety, etc. The amount of truly stunning new supercar designs might be declining as time passes, but it's probably more a case of us pricks just getting older and being more judgemental than we were 20 years ago. :lol2:

i love this car so much

but as allan said if this car isn't faster than the mp4 atleast then its a fail

Your 550-2 is likely slower than a 458. Is it a fail?

Evo's first drive review isn't exactly glowing, but it's isn't bad either. Seem like a good review. I think we'll have to wait for them to get their own cars on their own tracks and such. I don't expect to hear that much from this factory press day.

That's how I believe most will come in from the rags that aren't in the tank with typical fluff "it's great!!!!" drivel.

Objectively the car isn't a world-beater, and couldn't be given the price/budget/constraints it's up against. But it's darn good.

Really the choice is between this, the MP4, and the 458 as a distant third, for the buyer able to purchase any of them new at full MSRP. And I'm still at a loss as to how that's a bad group to be in, "junior" cars or not...Until the 599-replacement arrives, this car IS the big dog, and will be perceived that way by most, regardless of a tenth here or a tenth there.

And lets not forget, no one knows WTF a "McLaren" is Stateside.

The panache factor for gear-heads like us is off the charts for the MP4, but 99% of clueless Americans have no damn idea who or what that name means.

The Aventahor ( :icon_mrgreen: ) is well slotted to do extremely well. And it certainly has planned upgrade intervals along the way to keep it relevant as time passes.

well a US mag did the 1/4 in 10.9 @129 mph in the SV. A couple euro mags have done 11.0-11.1ish as well. I think its fair to expect the LP700 to better these times, not be slower. also, 100-130 mph in 4.5 seconds? I looked at VBOXKING's times and 100-130 mph was done in 4.5 in the LP640.

well a US mag did the 1/4 in 10.9 @129 mph in the SV. A couple euro mags have done 11.0-11.1ish as well. I think its fair to expect the LP700 to better these times, not be slower. also, 100-130 mph in 4.5 seconds? I looked at VBOXKING's times and 100-130 mph was done in 4.5 in the LP640.

That's one time. Other mags did 11.4 for the SV.

Let's try not make this a "times" discussion yet, it's far too early. Until we have a few different instrumented tests in controlled environments we don't know much about what the car will do.

I don't feel it's a reach to say the car will certainly NOT be slower than the SV, as its equal (and possibly superior) power-to-weight ratio combined with improved shift time speeds virtually guarantees it.

Agree, but as I'm about to say below, the MP4 is world-beater...and despite the MSRP differences it's actually a GOOD thing to be compared to it, even if you come up slightly lacking in some areas, and even if your price tag is higher. The 458 can't say the same, and neither can the 599, both pale in comparison to the MP4 if we go with the factory numbers just to play devil's advocate.

So in that light the Aventahor does ok, maybe even shines, it's all in what you expect from it.

Do agree that styling is something that's getting lost to regs, emissions, crash safety, etc. The amount of truly stunning new supercar designs might be declining as time passes, but it's probably more a case of us pricks just getting older and being more judgemental than we were 20 years ago. :lol2:

Your 550-2 is likely slower than a 458. Is it a fail?

my car is neck and neck with the 458 :icon_mrgreen:

and even " if " the 458 is faster it has 20 more horse power and it cost 60k $ more

but you can't say the same with the aventador and mp4

"Lamborghini CEO and President Stephan Winkelmann confirmed that 18 months' worth of production is already sold (about 1100 cars), so if you are thinking of buying, and aren't yet on the list, be prepared to be patient."

Wow, so 1,100 going to be made in the first 1.5 years? That sounds like a shit load. How many Murcis were made in total?

The world outside of US of A doesn't give a flying fcuk about 1/4 miles.

:iamwithstupid:

Park them next to one another, and the Gallardo disappears.

This simply is THE car to have for the next 3 years, period.

This simply is THE car to have for the next 3 years, period.

If the outside world doesnt care about 1/4 mile times, they care about roll on times.. so with a 131mph 1/4 speed from the Aventahor, and a 134 from the Mp4, the Aventahor is shrinking in the rear view mirror. The car needs to have performance that sets it appart from the rest. It may not be vastly superior, but if its not SUPERIOR to cars costing 80k, or a 150K Turbo S then inmo its not a good thing.. Because you know very well the 599 replacement is going to be a HUGE leap forward, and lets not forget Porsche is readying the 998, and a new 250K Supercar. So the Aventahor maybe the best looking car in its segment ( inmo they could of done soo much more) it needs to perform at the top of its segment. Inmo a 10.50@135mph car it needs to be..

"Visual violence".....love it. :icon_super:

The big V12 Lambo was never the out and out cornering leader and probably never will be. The Murci has done some very impressive things I must say in cornering and braking, pretty remarkable compared to the Diablo.

All the flagship Lambo requires is a big noise, big boy presence, great high speed stability, and the ability to fly deep into high triple digit speeds with ease.

Everything else is gravy.

When you're on the autobahn, autostrada, or some empty interstate in Nevada or Montana, all of this will make more sense. :icon_thumleft:

Crying over competitions with lesser cars is silly. Should we all cry that an S2000 will take down an Aventador at the autocross? :icon_mrgreen:

Wow, so 1,100 going to be made in the first 1.5 years? That sounds like a shit load. How many Murcis were made in total?

~4000

Please remember this will be the worst LP700 made. This MY is equivalent to 1990 Diablo or 2002 Murcielago. The jump from 02 Murcie to 670-SV was significant and the styling evolution was successfully pulled off as well. Let the car be released and give it a chance. Over the next ten years we'll have minimum 6 or 7 incarnations of the thing, ending with another balls-to-the-walls SV-type missile.

Also, agree with Mako in that in the metal there will be no mistaking this car for a G. The stance is much lower and the car is very wide. Wheelbase is significantly longer over G and the exteriors are visually distinct enough for even casual viewer to know this vehicle will eat their children and rape their women.

Over the next ten years we'll have minimum 6 or 7 incarnations of the thing

I wonder if that's why Winkelman claimed this was "2 generations forward" for Lamborghini. If he's counting their special editions, maybe we skipped over the tricolore edition.

"Lamborghini CEO and President Stephan Winkelmann confirmed that 18 months' worth of production is already sold (about 1100 cars), so if you are thinking of buying, and aren't yet on the list, be prepared to be patient."

Give it a year then check back in on availability and pricing :lol2:

Please remember this will be the worst LP700 made. This MY is equivalent to 1990 Diablo or 2002 Murcielago.