Need some advice on "shitty" neighbors...

Rouleur

As the title reads, I have a problem in my 'hood and would like to know how you guys would handle it. My first thought is to go and find the person and string them up, but we know that is not going to happen. I live in a neighborhood with 75 homes and a weak HOA. Has its good and its bad. We all have larger lots in the subdivision, all 1+ acre. I am at the end of a cul de sac and have a large front yard. In the last couple of years, when I go down to the front of the yard to either mow or walk around with the kids, I have noticed dog shit all over the place. I have never seen who does it, or when they do it. It ranges in size so it is not just one neighbor that is committing the offense. It is really fcuking pissing me off now. Higher end homes in a nice subdivision with swim and tennis. You would think that the people that live in here would have some respect.

I need to further this with the fact that other houses in the sub have put up signs such as "curb your dog" or "no pooping please, cameras installed" in their yards. I am not a fan. I just want it to stop. What would you do??? Discuss...

Get a camera and see who it is. Take the shit and put it in a brown paper bag. Set the bag on fire on their front stoop and ring their doorbell.

Get a camera and see who it is. Take the shit and put it in a brown paper bag. Set the bag on fire on their front stoop and ring their doorbell.

:iamwithstupid:

Unless you know who it is, there is no way to move ahead. Get a camera or take a proactive approach with a coupe signs.

What's the HOA policy on landmines?

Dogshit is a PITA, especially when you don't even own a dog.. go get a cheap camera and put it where everyone can see it.

You can also just get a trail cam. It only takes pics when there is movement, so you won't have to watch hours of video to see who shattin.

You can also just get a trail cam. It only takes pics when there is movement, so you won't have to watch hours of video to see who shattin.

Most DVR security cam setups have a selectable area that you can mark as 'alarm'. I.e. You select the area where the dogs shit on your screen, and only when those areas have motion, it will mark it as a different file so you can scroll through them quickly. This is also helpful if you have a tree or bush that's blowing around in the breeze, you wouldn't select that area since it would always be moving and recording.

More creative solution - throw pieces of sausage on opposing neighbors yard. Let him have the fun too

I use the "deer or trail cams" a lot for trespassers on my acerage. Stops all that kind of issues.

I use the "deer or trail cams" a lot for trespassers on my acerage. Stops all that kind of issues.

I am going to have to look into one of those. Maybe it will be camo covered so that they cannot see it well. I would love to catch them redhanded. Is the trail cam a camera or video? I am concerned that it will just catch them walking the dog and not actually the act of shatting on my grass.

Try this method.

Classic! If only the owner of the turd offender would not have me locked up for soaking them too!

I am going to have to look into one of those. Maybe it will be camo covered so that they cannot see it well. I would love to catch them redhanded. Is the trail cam a camera or video? I am concerned that it will just catch them walking the dog and not actually the act of shatting on my grass.

You can set up some of the trail cams to fire off pictures in bursts, or every 15 seconds, 30 sec, etc. You may not catch it the first time, but maybe the second or third time. If you take a pic when they show up, and then your next pic at 30 seconds has a turd in it, you can narrow it down :eusa_think:

Also, if there are different sizes of shit, may be more than one neighbor. How many neighbors have dogs? Any of them just let their dogs run freely? Are you friendly/close (not distance wise) to any neighbors who can watch out for this as well?

My best guess is that the offender is one seriously inconsiderate neighbor with multiple size dogs. Just dont see multiple neighbors all using your yard but anything is possible. Cam the area they are abusing and then handle it.

These images can then be sent to a FTP site or emailed to you so when this happens again

Chris, not sure how the real estate regs work where you live, but in many places there is a city setback that runs a few feet wider than the road, meaning that technically you don't own the first few feet of grass you mow right beside the street. That can make enforcing something like this tricky, because you may not actually own the land in question. Best bet may be if a city ordinance or HOA rule applies. But you will need to ID the perp first, as others have said. Best of luck.

Time for a stakeout to catch the poopitrator.

:iamwithstupid:

Or if you really want to get creative, get 150lbs of horse shit. Soak it overnight in napalm. Drop it on their front lawn via wheelbarrow. Light it and run.

More likely solution-Get a big, nasty, well trained Doberman or Rottweiler. The Doberman I used to have back in the day was the shit. It absolutely loved people, but HATED animals in or around his yard. We had a 2.5 acre yard. Our neighbor was insane and her parents bough her a house with a bunch of animals to keep her company-cats, goats, dogs, birds, etc.

She probably had about 15-30 of each too. I often remember seeing goats on top of her brand new corvette. So for a few months we were finding pieces of cat all over the yard. Then one morning one of her German Shephards broke through our fence and came in while we were leaving for school. My dog was doing something really cool and strange. He started circling it over and over so the dog was unable to attack us as we were leaving. When my mom came back home, the German shepherd had all but his spine attaching his body and head. My Doberman ripped the rest out, and didn't have a scratch on him. Neighbor was crazy and didn't care as she had a bunch of other dogs.

My dog was also the fastest dog I had ever seen. It would run after cars as they drove down the street and usually kept pace with them pretty well.

Was the best dog I ever had. They are PERFECT for big yards, but be aware that they must stay in a big yard forever if that is what they are raised with. We moved to a TINY yard and had to get rid of him.