Car shopping with my wife

scoote69

I fidn the part about the Porsche dealer never letting you drive a turbo to be so amusing. Not at all like when KMR and i were 25 and they pulled a brand new 997TT off the showroom floor. black car, and it was sleeting/raining in ohio. They gave him the keys and told us to have fun and would see us later. Thats how you sell cars!

Cross-shopping a Jag with a GTR with a McLaren :eusa_think:

I found it a little odd too that the options spread was so large. I think first and foremost I would really mull over what I needed and wanted out of a car and a price range and narrow it down to two MAYBE 3 very similar options.

Kane, I see you're a chef (among other things). That's my dream job. Next time you're in Dallas pm me and my wife and I will take you to a great dinner and you will see just why Id want her to car shop with me.

What a first class response! BRAVO! :icon_thumleft:

Interesting car choices. Im interested in Where this is going. You almost lost me at "mclaren is the best looking car out there" bit. Still not sure anyone would say that but to each his own.

Now pics of the actually cars you are test driving and not pics from a google image search....we all can do that.

This board moves at a snails pace as it is. So many members don't post because they are worried about being ripped to shreds..I think it would benefit the board more if people could post questions or thoughts and be able to contribute more topics without being told they aren't welcome. If someone feels it's a pointless question then there is no need for them to post about it or add a response but at least it gets the board moving a bit and sometimes new people have good comments to contribute, sometimes they don't but either way no harm is done and we have the choice to move on to another subject.

I am with you but this thread is not where we need to start having an open mind. This guy has 11 posts and has troll written all over him. Who the hell cross shops these cars, and then cant post a pic.

scoote69,

You mentioned "89 Lamborghini" twice without saying the model. This is a Lamborghini Forum, you have to know we would want to know the exact model it is. Sooooo, I'll take the bait and ask... What model is the 89 Lamborghini that you owned?

Interesting car choices. Im interested in Where this is going. You almost lost me at "mclaren is the best looking car out there" bit. Still not sure anyone would say that but to each his own.

Now pics of the actually cars you are test driving and not pics from a google image search....we all can do that.

I think he's still google searching the images of the wife.

Scoote, do you have a son Zac by any chance? Also, was it Park Place Porsche that wouldn't let you take a test drive? If so, I'm a little surprised. When I was ~23 and looking at 996tt's I went over there and was behind the wheel of one within 15 minutes after doing nothing more than presenting a driver's license. Good luck on the search.

• 4 months later...

After looking at everything we went with 2 cars: a 2011 Jag xkr and a 2009 Gallardo which is at UGR for a stage 3 turbo package.

Before deciding I was able to test drive the Gallardo (non-turbo) and 458 on the 1.3 mile race track at Vegas Motor Speedway and took the Mclaren out for a 30 minute test drive around Dallas. I preferred the looks of the 458 to the G but it just wasnt fast enough. The Mclaren felt quicker than the 458 but had several issues which dropped it to third on my list: no lift package, and a very low nose that wouldnt make it into my garage at work; minor reliability issues which have been documented on the net and arose during my drive; difficulty getting in and out because of the tub; and an interior that just didnt appeal to me.

That left me choosing between the R8 and G. The R8 is slighly more sophisticated and practical, but isnt as sexy as the G. So the G won out.

I should have the G in February. My wife is loving the XKR which I have to admit is an amazing car. It feels quicker and is better handling than my CTS-V, looks great, and is a blast to drive. My wife, after taking racing lessons and having fun with her new car, is already looking for a pulley and ecu tune.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

After looking at everything we went with 2 cars: a 2011 Jag xkr and a 2009 Gallardo which is at UGR for a stage 3 turbo package.

Congrats. What color G did you get?

First stop: Mclaren. ...That's when disaster struck. Ingress and egress are worse than any car I've ever seen. Worse than vipers with 400 degree side pipes, worse than my 89 Lamborghini. It has a huge bump you have to negotiate and even my limber wife hated it.
You've obviously not seen an Elise/Exige. I've owned one and egress was terrible...truly terrible. The McLaren looks much much easier. I had to literally fold myself to get in and out of the Exige I had. Now that I have a Gallardo I find myself missing the ingress/egress. It reminded me I was driving something special. Kind of like how I have to strap into my race car. It's a not so friendly reminder but still kind of nice. It was, above all, fun.

You've obviously not seen an Elise/Exige. I've owned one and egress was terrible...truly terrible. The McLaren looks much much easier. I had to literally fold myself to get in and out of the Exige I had. Now that I have a Gallardo I find myself missing the ingress/egress. It reminded me I was driving something special. Kind of like how I have to strap into my race car. It's a not so friendly reminder but still kind of nice. It was, above all, fun.

They sell those at the Jad dealership where my wife bought her car. They could fit in a Gallardo trunk.

So true, I bought my youngest son a Lotus Elise for a graduation present. I couldn't even get in the damn car without holding on to the roof,plus it rode like a large go cart..rattles the shit out of you.

They sell those at the Jad dealership where my wife bought her car. They could fit in a Gallardo trunk.
LOL, I'm a big guy so it was kind of like a clown car. Funny thing though is I could store more in the Exige trunk than the G. Very surprising.

So true, I bought my youngest son a Lotus Elise for a graduation present. I couldn't even get in the damn car without holding on to the roof,plus it rode like a large go cart..rattles the shit out of you.
LOL. Maybe it's because I'm very young relative to most around here but I considered the ride a feature :icon_mrgreen: . There was never a moment when I felt disconnected in that car. It's a glorious thing, especially at the track. The G is different, definitely better in some ways but...different.