UFC DISCUSSION NWS!

porter

Just rewatched the fight. To me it wasn't so much about Jones's shortcomings as Gus's exceptional performance. Jones fought great but Gus was a lot tougher than anyone gave him credit to be. FightMetric stats below as well as damn good sportsmanship from the hospital just after the brawl.

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

dqk7xj.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just rewatched the fight. To me it wasn't so much about Jones's shortcomings as Gus's exceptional performance. Jones fought great but Gus was a lot tougher than anyone gave him credit to be. FightMetric stats below as well as damn good sportsmanship from the hospital just after the brawl.

I do not know anything about UFC. So, is it ok to change the stats?

This was apparently snapped before the stats posted above.

post-8605-1379952380.jpg

Source link

I do not know anything about UFC. So, is it ok to change the stats?

This was apparently snapped before the stats posted above.

First blush stats are done as the fight unfolds. Once there is tape each round is reviewed slow-mo and replayed to get an accurate tally. It's typical for first postings to differ widely from final totals.

Who is down for a getogether for the re-match? Dinner and drinks on Porter!

As long as you wear your Batman outfit!

First blush stats are done as the fight unfolds. Once there is tape each round is reviewed slow-mo and replayed to get an accurate tally. It's typical for first postings to differ widely from final totals.

Thanks for the explanation :icon_thumleft:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Who is excited for next weekend? GSPs toughest challenge yet. One square contact from Hendricks and the fight is most likely over.

Also, looks like Vitor Belfort gets to fight the winner of Silva and Wideman 2.

Who is excited for next weekend? GSPs toughest challenge yet. One square contact from Hendricks and the fight is most likely over.

Also, looks like Vitor Belfort gets to fight the winner of Silva and Wideman 2.

I'm excited for both of those!

When Vitor is on, he's a SCAAARY man. As someone recently pointed out, he does tend to not be at his best when it's title-fight time, but that could just be based on who he's fighting. He gave Jon Jones a fight, at least for a while, and if Jon didn't have that huge reach advantage, who knows . . .

His fight with Anderson was, yes, a super-impressive knockout on Anderson's part, but those fluke-y KO's -- (I'm not saying it was literally a fluke, as Anderson was a genius in landing it) -- should always be taken with a certain grain of salt. Hold the fight 10 times and it probably doesn't end that way the other 9 times. I'm not saying Vitor beats him 9 out of 10 times; maybe Anderson still wins, but probably not with that early flash KO. (* See Velasquez vs. JDS 1 for more info on why early flash KO's are sometimes not the best way to judge a matchup.)

And I do think Anderson will likely soundly beat Weidman in their rematch, so I expect to see Anderson vs. Belfort II.

As for St. Pierre and Hendricks, yup! Going to be an interesting one! People have been comparing Hendricks to Koscheck, being wrestlers with big knockout power, but I think Hendricks' KO power is even greater, I think he's even faster (both with his hands and his wrestling), and I think he comes at guys with a pace that most find a bit overwhelming. The pace he put on Condit made it look like Condit was thinking, the whole time, "Whoa whoa WHOA!! Let's both take a breather here for a sec, buddy -- Ow. OW. OW!!"

This could go either way, but if I had to bet I'd put money on GSP decisioning him. 65% chance of that. 35% chance of Johnny landing his fist at some point and getting the KO.

I'm excited for both of those!

When Vitor is on, he's a SCAAARY man. As someone recently pointed out, he does tend to not be at his best when it's title-fight time, but that could just be based on who he's fighting. He gave Jon Jones a fight, at least for a while, and if Jon didn't have that huge reach advantage, who knows . . .

His fight with Anderson was, yes, a super-impressive knockout on Anderson's part, but those fluke-y KO's -- (I'm not saying it was literally a fluke, as Anderson was a genius in landing it) -- should always be taken with a certain grain of salt. Hold the fight 10 times and it probably doesn't end that way the other 9 times. I'm not saying Vitor beats him 9 out of 10 times; maybe Anderson still wins, but probably not with that early flash KO. (* See Velasquez vs. JDS 1 for more info on why early flash KO's are sometimes not the best way to judge a matchup.)

And I do think Anderson will likely soundly beat Weidman in their rematch, so I expect to see Anderson vs. Belfort II.

As for St. Pierre and Hendricks, yup! Going to be an interesting one! People have been comparing Hendricks to Koscheck, being wrestlers with big knockout power, but I think Hendricks' KO power is even greater, I think he's even faster (both with his hands and his wrestling), and I think he comes at guys with a pace that most find a bit overwhelming. The pace he put on Condit made it look like Condit was thinking, the whole time, "Whoa whoa WHOA!! Let's both take a breather here for a sec, buddy -- Ow. OW. OW!!"

This could go either way, but if I had to bet I'd put money on GSP decisioning him. 65% chance of that. 35% chance of Johnny landing his fist at some point and getting the KO.

Well said.

Well said.

Thanks.

Bet US has Georges at -260 and Johnny at +200. Closest odds for a GSP fight in quite a while, I believe.

Edit: By the way, they also have Ronda Rousey at -1,000 (!) vs. Meisha Tate at +600 for UFC 168! I'm no betting expert, but hot DAMN, does that look like it's worth putting some coin on Meisha, just because!

There's been a little retirement talk out of GSP's camp, claiming he's proved all he needs to prove. Any time that comes from a pro-athlete at the championship level they are mentally checking out. GSP is a smart dude and could grind out a decision like he always does. Hendricks only needs to land one punch though and has incredible wrestling skills to stuff the takedowns. I bet Hendricks takes this one.

Silva vs. Weidman 2 will be great. Silva needs to stops jerking off in the ring and just put on a striking clinic. Even at his age he's still twice as fast and twice as good as the other guys. Who knows which was this one goes.

Jones vs. Glover, Jones has to deal with Glotex while Gustafsson fights Jimi Manuwa lol. Dana preserving his big payday on the rematch, what's new. Although Jones will have his hands full with Glover, speaking of big power that dude is scary.

There's been a little retirement talk out of GSP's camp, claiming he's proved all he needs to prove. Any time that comes from a pro-athlete at the championship level they are mentally checking out. GSP is a smart dude and could grind out a decision like he always does. Hendricks only needs to land one punch though and has incredible wrestling skills to stuff the takedowns. I bet Hendricks takes this one.

Silva vs. Weidman 2 will be great. Silva needs to stops jerking off in the ring and just put on a striking clinic. Even at his age he's still twice as fast and twice as good as the other guys. Who knows which was this one goes.

Jones vs. Glover, Jones has to deal with Glotex while Gustafsson fights Jimi Manuwa lol. Dana preserving his big payday on the rematch, what's new. Although Jones will have his hands full with Glover, speaking of big power that dude is scary.

Not that there isn't hype in all this, of course, but if you watched the recent UFC Primetime episodes with GSP and Hendricks, it sounds like GSP is not, not, NOT taking this fight lightly.

Next UFC card is stacked! I may have to actually purchase this one instead of watching it free the next day on XBMC. :icon_mrgreen:

Not that there isn't hype in all this, of course, but if you watched the recent UFC Primetime episodes with GSP and Hendricks, it sounds like GSP is not, not, NOT taking this fight lightly.

Yeah I saw them. Interesting how they portrayed GSP as living in this beautiful home driving his new Range Rover and Hendricks as a good ol' boy still driving a pickup truck to his rundown gym. Will be a great fight for sure. Still amazes me how small GSP is for his weight division.

Yeah I saw them. Interesting how they portrayed GSP as living in this beautiful home driving his new Range Rover and Hendricks as a good ol' boy still driving a pickup truck to his rundown gym. Will be a great fight for sure. Still amazes me how small GSP is for his weight division.

I believe GSP cuts down from 192, no? And Hendricks is only 5'9", believe it or not! (?!)

I believe GSP cuts down from 192, no? And Hendricks is only 5'9", believe it or not! (?!)

I just had an MMA guy into the office, he said the same thing that the few times he's met St. Pierre he definitely was big, above 190 for sure.

I just had an MMA guy into the office, he said the same thing that the few times he's met St. Pierre he definitely was big, above 190 for sure.

The whole weight-cutting business sounds like no fun at all.

The whole weight-cutting business sounds like no fun at all.

Hard on the kidneys for sure. Can't be as hard as being a mod at LamboPower though, that shit sucks :icon_mrgreen:

I've met GSP a few times around town and he most definitely looks deceivingly small on t for his actual size in person. He's not huge by any stretch but looks bigger/more powerful in person for sure. Always smiling and very polite, as you'd expect from him.

Pretty good card this Sat:

UFC 167

GSP vs. Hendricks

Rashad vs. Chael Sonnen

Rory Macdonald vs. Robbie Lawler

Joscheck vs. Woodley

Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham

Also...

Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira OFF of UFC 170 - no reason given

Should be a solid card. I think it might be a slow fight with GSP tho. My prediction is that GSP will avoid Hendricks left hand for a few rounds and try and wear him out. They are such opposite style fighter, Hendricks takes lots of damage to charge forward and unleash his power shots, GSP is more elusive. Should be a great fight, but will not be a Gotti Ward by any stretch