Just Finished My First Carbon Fiber Project

1quickBull

I just finished my first carbon fiber project and wanted to see what you guys thought. I don't have a Lamborghini yet, but am working on it! I loved the carbon trim in every Lamborghini I've driven / been in. Since Lambo guys seem to really like the CF work and have high standards, I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on the quality of work. How does it appear compared to your trim parts?

I laminated my door trim panels, radio bezel, and center console (modified the shape too). Took a lot more time and effort than I planned and had many "learning opportunities", but I am very happy with the results.

DoorTrim-BeforeAfter.png

P1100762.jpg

Console-BeforeAfter.png

I had a custom brushed aluminum decal cut and embedded it in the resin so that it is perfectly smooth over top. Took 4 sets of decals to get it just right, but I think it was worth the time and money to get it right.

P1100810.jpg

P1100813-1.jpg

P1100844.jpg

P1100838.jpg

P1100843.jpg

P1100841.jpg

And a close up of the resin / carbon lay-up work:

P1100817.jpg

Wait a minute.... YOU fcuking DID THAT? YOURSELF?

Get the fcuk out!

Do you have like a step by step video tutorial of the process?

Im fcuking blown away.

Ya know.... Ive wanted a certain custom trim piece for my M3 for about 23 fcuking years now....

Wait a minute.... YOU fcuking DID THAT? YOURSELF?

Get the fcuk out!

Do you have like a step by step video tutorial of the process?

Im fcuking blown away.

:iamwithstupid:

Where do you get the products to do that??

Really nice, good job!

Wow, thanks guys! I had my flame suit on and was ready for some negative comments too. Thanks for all the support.

I just did some research about different carbon fiber suppliers and what resins / clear coat are best to use, ordered some, and gave it a go.

The process is simple in theory, but is actually extremely labor intensive and can get quite complicated as soon as your part starts to have some geometry.

Wow, thanks guys! I had my flame suit on and was ready for some negative comments too. Thanks for all the support.

I just did some research about different carbon fiber suppliers and what resins / clear coat are best to use, ordered some, and gave it a go.

The process is simple in theory, but is actually extremely labor intensive and can get quite complicated as soon as your part starts to have some geometry.

Unless you have business interests in doing custom parts it might be cool if you could explain some of the process or post some links, how-to guides, etc.

I can think of a few things I'd like CF-clad...

Unless you have business interests in doing custom parts it might be cool if you could explain some of the process or post some links, how-to guides, etc.

I can think of a few things I'd like CF-clad...

Agreed, some links would be great if you are willing to share your research.

Well done, looks very neat.

Just wondering, your seat. Do you actually drive it in that position, I'm 6"3 and I don't think I could see the road? :D

And this is how you become self employed. 1 quick bull and stig (because of your college grad story). I have a buddy who modded a non exotic vehicle he owned and posted pics online in a forum or something. He had taste so people were asking him where he got this and got that.

So he had a idea. He graduated college in computer somethingortheother and decided to start a business instead. He basically became a supplier for car parts. He bought the parts wholesale and then sold them.

He now has a really nice life. He bought a house on acerage, has a pool, a couple of cars. He works from home, lives in Pennsylvania but since most of his clients are in Cali, he wakes up late. He answers to no one.

What I'm saying is that in this is an opportunity. Fabricating custom CF parts for cars. You too could own your own business and love life and not have a boss.

I know this is going to sound wrong but I don't want to believe that is your first attempt.

Swear to god this is my first attempt. I never touched carbon fiber until I did this project. Door trim was the first thing I finished, then the console. Based on that, I certainly take your comment as a compliment.

And this is how you become self employed. 1 quick bull and stig (because of your college grad story). I have a buddy who modded a non exotic vehicle he owned and posted pics online in a forum or something. He had taste so people were asking him where he got this and got that.

So he had a idea. He graduated college in computer somethingortheother and decided to start a business instead. He basically became a supplier for car parts. He bought the parts wholesale and then sold them.

He now has a really nice life. He bought a house on acerage, has a pool, a couple of cars. He works from home, lives in Pennsylvania but since most of his clients are in Cali, he wakes up late. He answers to no one.

What I'm saying is that in this is an opportunity. Fabricating custom CF parts for cars. You too could own your own business and love life and not have a boss.

I currently am a design engineer and design new surgical tools, but I am a 100% car nut, especially a Lamborghini fan. My dream is to own a custom car shop and modify cars like all yours. If I just made enough money to by food from that I would be the happiest person alive.

My concern, or fear maybe, has always been how to start. Like, how to get someone with a high dollar exotic to take a chance on the new guy. I have extremely high standards and would never let someone down, but really don't know how to communicate that without the past business experience. I 'm not worried about continuing a successful business, but just starting.

Since a lot of members here are either (1) Lambo / exotics owners or (2) successful entrepreneurs, what advice might you have?

Wow, great job! I have some pc's I would love to do CF with. If you are doing this just for fun it would be great to learn where you purchased everything, etc.

Great work, Something like that requires precision and patience.

I by no mean the following in anyway to put your product.

To everyone who is wondering how he did it, just google laminating in CF. While getting the weave to be that perfect is difficult the processes its self for laminate, and making wet carbon can be done in pretty much anyones garage you just need the cloth and resin. Like i said though, making really quality pieces requires commitment to what your crafting.

^ Exactly. Google carbon fiber wrapping or laminating and you'll find some good info easy enough. Laying the CF is a one shot thing. If you don't get it right, throw your part out and start over. Beyond that it is a repeated process of building up resin and sanding it back smooth taking care not to break through to the CF as this will ruin it as well.

The process is very "simple" in the theory, but actually doing it and doing it well takes a lot of patience, attention to detail, and a lot of labor. Anybody can DO IT, but doing it well isn't as easy as it sounds.

Man that looks FANTASTIC!!!!! :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

It is crazy how long I was in the Fbody world, that I took one look at your first picture and knew that it was for a 4th Gen Trans Am!!!! lol. (I have replaced enough window motors and radios in those cars to the point where I could take those trim pieces off in my sleep :lol2: ). I can also tell by the later pictures of your seats your car is a 94-97 (as 93' didnt have T-Tops, and 98's were the start of the LS1 and had slightly different leather seats). ;) The 4th gen Fbodies (LT1 or LS1) with a 6-speed will always have a special place in my heart, they are a ton of fun.

Your interior looks SICK! I drove a very modified 99' Trans Am for yeaaaaaars, and would have loved to have an interior that looks that good!

Would you be willing to make a second set of everything? How much would you charge for a set? I have friends that would kill to have those pieces you did in carbon fiber, I'm sure youd have no problem selling some more! Let me know (you can PM me if youd rather not post it for now). :)

Again, VERY, VERY nice work!!!!