08 SL price check

wannalambo97

Havent shopped market consistently but would say maybe start at like 139/140 and work up. Depending on egear snap. Then again they are a dealer and when I was shopping dealers RARELY returned calls so maybe just say hey I'll take the car for 142k. Just my .02

Havent shopped market consistently but would say maybe start at like 139/140 and work up. Depending on egear snap. Then again they are a dealer and when I was shopping dealers RARELY returned calls so maybe just say hey I'll take the car for 142k. Just my .02

It's so close to an '09 560 with that same mileage level ($155k-$165k) that it makes me agree with kmr's thought above.

I think an 08 G-SL at $135k-$140k is the right price, especially with steel brakes (a plus in my mind, but a possible negative on the secondary market) but the supply has been limited lately and you don't see as many of them as you did six months ago (Thanks Kevin and Heff, lol). :icon_mrgreen:

It's so close to an '09 560 with that same mileage level ($155k-$165k) that it makes me agree with kmr's thought above.

I think an 08 G-SL at $135k-$140k is the right price, but the supply has been limited lately and you don't see as many of them as you did six months ago (Thanks Kevin and Heff, lol). :icon_mrgreen:

We are still buying them. We have an ass load of SL's here at this time getting TTed

I agree, I think that black car is an ok buy at 135-140k with that many miles.

I think an 08 G-SL at $135k-$140k is the right price, especially with steel brakes (a plus in my mind, but a possible negative on the secondary market) but the supply has been limited lately and you don't see as many of them as you did six months ago (Thanks Kevin and Heff, lol). :icon_mrgreen:

They're saying they have $143k in the car....I offered $140k out the door...they rejected

They're saying they have $143k in the car....I offered $140k out the door...they rejected

Frustrating. Wonder how long it's been there, which can play a part in their stance for sure.

Shouldn't matter if they have 103k or 143k in the car. If they don't want to sell it for that then they shouldn't. It is a really cool car. They are getting harder and harder to find with that color combination and options. I doubt that offering them 11k less than their ask in the environment we are in inventory wise will get the car bought. It is virtually impossible for dealers to find inventory right now and they are fighting each other tooth and nail to get every nice car they can. Good luck with the purchase though, that is a stunning car.

As we used to say in the car biz, back when I was in it, "sticker is quicker"!

Shouldn't matter if they have 103k or 143k in the car. If they don't want to sell it for that then they shouldn't. It is a really cool car. They are getting harder and harder to find with that color combination and options. I doubt that offering them 11k less than their ask in the environment we are in inventory wise will get the car bought. It is virtually impossible for dealers to find inventory right now and they are fighting each other tooth and nail to get every nice car they can. Good luck with the purchase though, that is a stunning car.

As we used to say in the car biz, back when I was in it, "sticker is quicker"!

You're right, but in this case there are a few reasons to offset some of the inventory shortages right now:

1) It's the start of Winter in the US, which is a low-volume period for dealers across the country, and typically the last chance for any private sellers desperate to move their cars before it's too late (see our Classifieds section, three big discounts on Gallardos the past 2 weeks).

2) It's the end of the year, which also is typically a low-volume period for dealers across the country as Holidays take priority.

LoH isn't being unreasonable with that price, they can ask whatever they like, but the claim that they "have $143k in the car" is where some of us have a problem.

No dealer that has 143k in a car, would advertise it for 149, knowing full well everyone will always offer less, and they are not in business to make 2-3K on a 143k auto..

FWIW - this time last year when I was selling my yellow, 3K mile SL with LP560 nose, perfect condition car, the best dealer offer was $133K towards an lp560 trade. I wound up privately selling for $141K

BTW - go drive a 560 before you make your decision!

I'm dealing with the same thing and empathize with you. I hate when the dealer says they "are in the car" for a certain amount that just seems dumb. There's absolutely no way that the dealer gave someone or bought that 08SL for $143k. No way in hell.

This is also a 3 owner car with the next buyer being the 4th owner. This is not going to help you with resale, I don't think.

I hear ya guys, my last offer which was 5k higher than my initial offer, he sort of laughed it off and said we weren't even close. He then said I need to find another car(not quite sure what he meant by that)...following that, he posted an ebay link of 08 SL's, I guess to "prove" his point of how ridiculous my offers were. I mentioned that I thougt fair market value for the car was $135-140K...so maybe his link thing was to combat what I thought was FMV...dunno. Anyway, I don't really fault the dealer, obviously they are trying to make as much profit as possible...I don't blame them. I don't even really care about the "I"m in the car..." statement, cuz I"m fully aware it's a sales tactic and would expect nothing less actually. My beef is that he and I were really only about $5 to 6K apart. Some may say then it was my fault the deal went south...after all, they say, if you're already spending X amount, why not another 6 or 7K? That imho is just stupid. Where does that slippery slope lead? I would assume since exotics are extremely low volume compared to mass produced brands that the dealer has a healthy markup in the car to compensate. I get it. But for a dealer to ditch a deal that percentage wise was fairly nominal and leave the perspective buyer feeling as if they insulted the dealer with an over the top low ball offer isn't the way to do business in my opinion. $140K for that car was fair I believe. End rant...

I think your numbers are accurate and would agree...no way a dealer would buy or take the trade in for that car over $140k...their is no way. Try to not get offended...some people and dealers can not help themselves.

I always inform the dealer that I always sell my cars after a year or two and have multiple cars and to take that into consideration because they may be able to sell this car again when you trade it in on something else they have in the future. You would like to build that rapport with them...hopefully they would as well with you.

I hear ya guys, my last offer which was 5k higher than my initial offer, he sort of laughed it off and said we weren't even close. He then said I need to find another car(not quite sure what he meant by that)...following that, he posted an ebay link of 08 SL's, I guess to "prove" his point of how ridiculous my offers were. I mentioned that I thougt fair market value for the car was $135-140K...so maybe his link thing was to combat what I thought was FMV...dunno. Anyway, I don't really fault the dealer, obviously they are trying to make as much profit as possible...I don't blame them. I don't even really care about the "I"m in the car..." statement, cuz I"m fully aware it's a sales tactic and would expect nothing less actually. My beef is that he and I were really only about $5 to 6K apart. Some may say then it was my fault the deal went south...after all, they say, if you're already spending X amount, why not another 6 or 7K? That imho is just stupid. Where does that slippery slope lead? I would assume since exotics are extremely low volume compared to mass produced brands that the dealer has a healthy markup in the car to compensate. I get it. But for a dealer to ditch a deal that percentage wise was fairly nominal and leave the perspective buyer feeling as if they insulted the dealer with an over the top low ball offer isn't the way to do business in my opinion. $140K for that car was fair I believe. End rant...

Let's say his net on the car is 10k. If you're 6k apart that is 60% of the profit. You are thinking about it from the perspective of the buyer which is fine but you're not leaving anything on the table for him and asking him to scrub a large part of his lift. Nothing wrong with that tactic, there's just nothing there for him to work with, and using that tactic you need to be prepared to play this game at several dealerships until you can find a car that has been floored long enough that the payments have taken their toll on the floor manager.

Regarding your comment about if you're already spending X and why not spend another 6 or 7k being stupid... it's not stupid, and there are several reasons why.

Regarding your comment about if you're already spending X and why not spend another 6 or 7k being stupid... it's not stupid, and there are several reasons why.

You are right, but this is the new economy and the new Lamborghini buyer of today. Even Wolfgang Hoffman told me the reason they went downmarket with the 550-2 coupe and spyder is because buyers are beating dealers up over 5000 dollars. There's been some recovery since 09, but there's still a recession in the US and a lot Europe. This is also the problem of lamborghini making too big numbers of the Gallardo. THere's simply too many going around that if you don't like the price you can go to the next guy.