Driving Impressions

D.Wiggs

hi D.WIGGS,

i would like to see a picture of your Rocker Custom customized, as i own one vivid balck too: may be it could be a good idea to customize mine, that now is a simply assembly of HD genuine accessories and a Danny Gray single seat.

thanks

ciao

:icon_thumleft: Only took 7 months :icon_mrgreen:

Also, I think Wiggs either love his 670 more than life itself (which I somewhat could agree on) or (mostly) want to stir up a shitstorm..

I do love it; I'm stunned at how much I love it. And since I own both, it's just the conclusion I've come to.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno.. I find the Gallardo to be a proper Lambo in any form. The Sv is certainly the best looking Lambo to come since the Diablo SV. Truth be told but take a good Gallardo Superg, or the new Super trofeo and the SV will see taillights...

In a straight line I got beat two out of two times against a 640. Around a road course, any 640 or 670 will get owned by a 560/570. Two different kinds of cars for two different applications.

I agree that the 670 is an awesome looking car - And I love the Aventador, too. I need more money! I'd get them both!

Has it been determined yet if the Aventador is as easy to reconfigure to RWD as the Murcielago?

Should be easier in theory. It's Haldex AWD, so it electronically configures where the power goes. If it turns out people are unable to reprogram this box, then it will be quite hard... But if it's like most Audi haldex systems, you can configure it do be FWD, AWD, 10/90, 50/50 or whatever you might please :)

Has it been determined yet if the Aventador is as easy to reconfigure to RWD as the Murcielago?

Oakley has done it; I'd imagine it's not that hard.

In a straight line I got beat two out of two times against a 640. Around a road course, any 640 or 670 will get owned by a 560/570. Two different kinds of cars for two different applications.

I agree that the 670 is an awesome looking car - And I love the Aventador, too. I need more money! I'd get them both!

a 560 or 570 beating my car around the track would all come down to the driver and what track. Same weight (now) as the 560 and 150 more WHP than a 570 with boatloads more TQ. That would easily be enough to put the cars down to a 'push' in terms of lap times.

Guest Dereiter
I agree...

Like it or not, the Lambos available today are what 99% of the people able and willing to buy them want. The hardcore versions have their place with the other 1%. It's the same thing with rwd and manual transmissions in the Lambos. Everyone always claims that's what they want, but yet only 1% get them. Lamborghini is doing what any company should do, putting out products that the overwhelming majority of their target customers want.

That being said, I hope they sterilized future Lambos even more by putting dual clutches in them.

:iamwithstupid:

a 560 or 570 beating my car around the track would all come down to the driver and what track. Same weight (now) as the 560 and 150 more WHP than a 570 with boatloads more TQ. That would easily be enough to put the cars down to a 'push' in terms of lap times.

True...What I should have said is take 'average Joe' driver, and he will go around a track faster in a 560/570 than a 640/670.

The Gallardos are alot less daunting than the Murcies for the average driver. But maybe that's why the Murcies are more fun!

Well, just maybe you only went to the 2 day driving school in High School?? LOL

I, as I think many others, were raised on proper cars, drove them with out TC and ESP ever being invented!

If you KNOW how to drive a car, EVEN a HIGH HORES POWER car, you should not need these added features, can still drive the car correctly AND HAVE no fears to "Crash it"

If you need, I have a driving school I can send you to when your ready...

I'm just saying though, how many people actually disable the stuff then? Everyone claims the cars are too easy to drive, but I question how many of them push the cars as hard as when they have TC/ESP off as they do when it's on, or even how many turn them off each day to begin with. Wasn't there a video of Chris Harris driving the 458 in Sport Mode extremely quick, then turning everything off and quickly finding the back sliding out and driver error becoming grossly magnified?

Every car can be extremely raw when you push it to the limit for a given road/turn with driver aides off. If a new car allows you to drive it so much harder easily, then just push it even harder still. Every road/turn and car combination has a physical limit, and just because one car reaches it sooner doesn't make it any more raw or exciting. If the SV starts to get scary in a turn at 90 and the Aventador is fine at 90, then why not push the Aventador to 100 or something where it begins to feel the same?

Every car can reach the same breaking point, but it's just a matter of how high up that point is. It's unfair to say the SV is more exciting than the Aventador at 90mph on turn A if the Aventador could be taking it at 110.

With older cars you're at the "edge" more often than their newer counterparts because the newer counterparts perform better. If taking a sharp turn with a countach at 70mph makes the rear end come loose and slide all over the place doesn't mean the car is "rawer" than lets say a Gallardo that can take the same turn at the same speed while maintaining traction at all 4 wheels. Doesn't make the Gallardo tamer than a Countach, just means the newer technology in a Gallardo makes it perform better.

With that same analogy, one can say a caveman is wilder and manlier than a homo sapien. Does that mean I want to time travel back a few million years to be a macho caveman, eat whatever I can scavenge, and travel by foot? I think not. I'd rather remain a homo sapien, eat whatever I desire, and travel in my Lambo lol.

My only nuisance with newer cars is the lack of the 3rd pedal.

True...What I should have said is take 'average Joe' driver, and he will go around a track faster in a 560/570 than a 640/670.

The Gallardos are alot less daunting than the Murcies for the average driver. But maybe that's why the Murcies are more fun!

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

There are 2 main issues with newer cars, weight and low profile tires. Gone are the days of a 2800lb sportscar due to all the different legislations regarding safety, so hp is up to compensate for the increase in weight . Advances in technology and suspension design have made the cars handle unbelievably well but, there is a big but, the elctronic aids, escpecially ESP are a must since cornering speeds are so high. To compound the problem, low profile tires do not flex as there is very little sidewall, and the lack of flex means you have no or very little warning before the tires lose grip. Good luck catching a Murci when the rear ends lets go whereas you might be able to catch a Countach.

Bottom line, the newer cars are way too much car for 99% of the drivers and one can have just as much fun with a lighter car that has less HP and is more forgiving beyong the limit than any newer model would be. That is, if one was to turn the traction control off.

Evolution/technology, its a bitch. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. My Diablo can still scare the piss out of me, but up to about 120, one of my co-pilots' Nissan GTR will walk away from me. I LOVE my Diablo, he is "enduring" his GTR till he can get his next Lambo (had a G-SL for a year) Jets are the same way. An F-4 (early 1960's tech) will scare the hell out of you, especially if you put in a little airelon when you shouldn't, an F-16 (1970's tech) won't scare you, it will just kill you when you "pull" as hard as you can (no fear of over G, ie all the magic on the new cars) and you go to sleep 'cause you weren't ready for 9 g's. (Didn't get to fly the F-22, but only imagine its tech advantage) Which is better? I dunno- no. They'll both kill you, just differently. When you lose control of your "old school, manual transmission relic" you have time to think "aw shit!!"; when you lose control of your high tech Aventador or Super G you have time for "Huh?" but the end result is the same. Enjoy the machines, just respect them too.

Everyone has there own opinion. I myself have never driven a diablo or a 670. I Got to drive a pre lp murcie roadster and being that it was my first Lamborghini to drive I had a blast. Fast forward to now and after owning the lp570 for a little while I think it's a great car. I have the cf buckets, so it's not the most comfortable car I have but when I go driving or race someone I always enjoy it. I haven't driven an Audi r8 v10 but I am more than sure the lp570 is amuck more raw car. The problem could be the fact that your car weighs more and is probably making much less than a stock lp560. My stock c6z made the same horsepower and im sure that if your dyno is correct, my z stock would have pulled on your performante. Having driven both c6z and lp, my lp would crush it.

Solo maybe the feel isn't raw because the car isn't delivering hp? Just a thought. Or maybe the shorter wheelbase gives it a less wild feel as the 670? And makes it more controllable/tame.

Evolution/technology, its a bitch. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. My Diablo can still scare the piss out of me, but up to about 120, one of my co-pilots' Nissan GTR will walk away from me. I LOVE my Diablo, he is "enduring" his GTR till he can get his next Lambo (had a G-SL for a year) Jets are the same way. An F-4 (early 1960's tech) will scare the hell out of you, especially if you put in a little airelon when you shouldn't, an F-16 (1970's tech) won't scare you, it will just kill you when you "pull" as hard as you can (no fear of over G, ie all the magic on the new cars) and you go to sleep 'cause you weren't ready for 9 g's. (Didn't get to fly the F-22, but only imagine its tech advantage) Which is better? I dunno- no. They'll both kill you, just differently. When you lose control of your "old school, manual transmission relic" you have time to think "aw shit!!"; when you lose control of your high tech Aventador or Super G you have time for "Huh?" but the end result is the same. Enjoy the machines, just respect them too.

Very nice post.

The newer cars are really well sorted. Brakes are no longer an issue, on the street anyway, for just about any modern sports car. The suspensions now are way ahead of F1 Technology of 20 years ago, traction control, self leveling etc . When everything is engaged, it makes it easy to drive a sportscar or super car at 7 to 8/10, so much so that one might think they are a better driver than they actually are. And, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the driver respects the car he is driving and realizes that it can bite him. The CGT was a perfect example of too much car for most and ended up being called the widowmaker. Fact is, it is a lot of fun to drive probably the most fun of the latest supercars with a manual transmission, not that many left anyway lol, but it bites and when it lets go, only the best might be able to catch it and even then it is a 50/50 call.

I have the same issue with my racecars. I have owned the M1 procar for 18 years now, spun a few times, crashed a few more but i can drive it 10/10 pretty confidently. I bought the Riley & Scott 5 years ago, much faster, ground effects, outstanding brakes and i have spun it more times in the 5 years than the entire life of my M1 ownership.

I cannot say i have driven the Riley 10/10 yet as it is outright dangerous and i need more seat time. Which one is more fun? Tough to say, Riley is faster but i am more in touch with my mortality as the faster you go, a lot more shit can happen.

Is the M1 better? Not necessarily as it is slower and one of the main reasons we all love speed is the adrenaline rush.It comes down to a compromise between adrenaline, fun factor and fear but imo, it is more relaxing to have fun in car that might not be lightning fast but fast enough to get the juices flowing.

Very nice post.

The newer cars are really well sorted. Brakes are no longer an issue, on the street anyway, for just about any modern sports car. The suspensions now are way ahead of F1 Technology of 20 years ago, traction control, self leveling etc . When everything is engaged, it makes it easy to drive a sportscar or super car at 7 to 8/10, so much so that one might think they are a better driver than they actually are. And, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the driver respects the car he is driving and realizes that it can bite him. The CGT was a perfect example of too much car for most and ended up being called the widowmaker. Fact is, it is a lot of fun to drive probably the most fun of the latest supercars with a manual transmission, not that many left anyway lol, but it bites and when it lets go, only the best might be able to catch it and even then it is a 50/50 call.

I have the same issue with my racecars. I have owned the M1 procar for 18 years now, spun a few times, crashed a few more but i can drive it 10/10 pretty confidently. I bought the Riley & Scott 5 years ago, much faster, ground effects, outstanding brakes and i have spun it more times in the 5 years than the entire life of my M1 ownership.

I cannot say i have driven the Riley 10/10 yet as it is outright dangerous and i need more seat time. Which one is more fun? Tough to say, Riley is faster but i am more in touch with my mortality as the faster you go, a lot more shit can happen.

Is the M1 better? Not necessarily as it is slower and one of the main reasons we all love speed is the adrenaline rush.It comes down to a compromise between adrenaline, fun factor and fear but imo, it is more relaxing to have fun in car that might not be lightning fast but fast enough to get the juices flowing.

Yeah, if I had the opportunity to choose between those two great choices, I'd go with the one I could dominate better.

Nostalgia is what it is. Everything was better before, everything new sucks...

I don't understand why people complain about the Aventador not being hardcore enough, the ride is too comfy, too refined etc... If you want a stiff ride in an unforgiving raw machine with a manual transmission, BUY A COUNTACH. There's no need for Lamborghini to get stuck on the old recipe, be glad they evolve.

A new car with the characteristics of a Diablo would not sell today, people would hate it.

fixed...diablo is too easy and soft :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_thumleft: Only took 7 months :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks!

you just kept the fuel tank, the oil tank and the rear swingarm... may be some Twincam 96B parts too... that's no more a Rocker custom... that's a Rocker MegaCustom...but it's not bad! :icon_super:

ciao

Thanks!

you just kept the fuel tank, the oil tank and the rear swingarm... may be some Twincam 96B parts too... that's no more a Rocker custom... that's a Rocker MegaCustom...but it's not bad! :icon_super:

ciao

Had the fuel tank flushed in (where the HD logos are recessed), and it's got a big bore 103 now :). It is a MegaCustom and thank you!

General observation:

What happened with the very newest cars being boring, that are making some of our big baller owners finally realize what some of us non-owner members knew about for YEARS? :icon_mrgreen:

Had the fuel tank flushed in (where the HD logos are recessed), and it's got a big bore 103 now :). It is a MegaCustom and thank you!

Oh my God, just a 103? come on, add a Screaming Eagle 120 R to that black monster! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

(and a parachute to brake it..)

ciao

Oh my God, just a 103? come on, add a Screaming Eagle 120 R to that black monster! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

(and a parachute to brake it..)

ciao

LOL!!

They'll both kill you, just differently. When you lose control of your "old school, manual transmission relic" you have time to think "aw shit!!"; when you lose control of your high tech Aventador or Super G you have time for "Huh?" but the end result is the same. Enjoy the machines, just respect them too.

Nicely said!

Lovely write up !

Agree the same regarding the SV vs Aventador. An issue that not many have is that i am 6ft7. Hence i can not compare the Gallardo comparisons. I have driven both SV and Aventador and have put my money where my mouth is and the SV is the one. On top of that I have found a manual one, whcih just makes it perfect. Picking her up today! Very excited!!

If it weren't for my size, i would also get a Diablo GT. Love those rwd beasts!!

D.Wiggs, I wouldnt dare touch my SV, it will remain as standard as it is. Although I would love a RWD lambo v12, i just can not imagine doing that to my SV. Once LP640 prices drop more, i might go RWD on a Roadster lp640. Surely doing that to your SV ruins all value of it? Are you going to TT it as well ?! That will be insane fun i'm sure!!

Every car can be extremely raw when you push it to the limit for a given road/turn with driver aides off. If a new car allows you to drive it so much harder easily, then just push it even harder still. Every road/turn and car combination has a physical limit, and just because one car reaches it sooner doesn't make it any more raw or exciting. If the SV starts to get scary in a turn at 90 and the Aventador is fine at 90, then why not push the Aventador to 100 or something where it begins to feel the same?

Every car can reach the same breaking point, but it's just a matter of how high up that point is. It's unfair to say the SV is more exciting than the Aventador at 90mph on turn A if the Aventador could be taking it at 110.

A small factor is the actual speed (just because speed limits exist, and there are idiots in their Prius' driving at 20mph, so the speed difference and those driving them make it extremely dangerous in factors that are out of your own hands).

It is the being in total control that is great fun, not "oh look i took that turn at 110mph" who cares?! If u want speed go to a race track and get in a Radical track car, or buy an old F1 car.

I went to test drive an old 1970s Alfa 2000 GTV. The car i drove 200km to get there was in my 2010 ZR1 which i always drive with everything switched off. When i got into the Alfa, and drove it, I had a massive massive smile on my face, like a kid in a candy shop.

Agree the same regarding the SV vs Aventador. An issue that not many have is that i am 6ft7. Hence i can not compare the Gallardo comparisons. I have driven both SV and Aventador and have put my money where my mouth is and the SV is the one. On top of that I have found a manual one, whcih just makes it perfect. Picking her up today! Very excited!!

Congrats! Post some photos when you'll have a chance.