ECU tune for $1100 - pissed!

05LSV

I've been going back and forth about getting an ECU tune, with the main point of contention being the $2500 price tag and the modest 28-30hp gain (18tq) that you get from it. Who knows if the gain is even noticeable, as I've read conflicting stories.

At this point though, there's no performance mods (aside from carbon airbox tops, which probably do nothing) for around this price range.

Thoughts?

David. FWIW-I would save the pennies, and wait for turbos....Even if a bolt on kit.

I totally agree. Enjoy the piss out of it for the next year then send it down for a bolt-on TT, best bang for buck.

Fadi and others have done all this bolt-on stuff and come away disappointed for the cost/reward ratio.

To do it right you'll need the full intake/exhaust/ecu setup, all of which need to be the right brands (proven on a dyno), and will wind up being between $7.5k-$10k installed.

That's a lot of bread for at most 20-35hp on a 400awhp car.

$1100 for 20HP isn't bad, I would buy that with the condition being proven on the dyno.. K&N drop-in filters, high flow cats, or test pipes if you don't mind being very loud, lightweight wheels and rotors help as well... If you have an e-gear, you can get that re-programmed with faster GSL programming...

okay, okay. Geez guys. lol

Already looking for more performance?

hahahaha. of course. I was struggling internally NOT to buy the Heffner kit that UGR was trying to sell last week. Need to wait a little before dropping the "TT Bomb" on the Mrs... lol

Fadi and others have done all this bolt-on stuff and come away disappointed for the cost/reward ratio.

To do it right you'll need the full intake/exhaust/ecu setup, all of which need to be the right brands (proven on a dyno), and will wind up being between $7.5k-$10k installed.

That's a lot of bread for at most 20-35hp on a 400awhp car.

I think it depends on your perception of what a "fast" car is.

700whp is INCREDIBLY fast to most people.

While Fadi's car was not the fastest car I had ridden in at the time, it was the fastest car I had ever driven. Effortless power in any

gear. He had just gotten out of a cammed/FBO Z-OH-6 that was incredibly fast/loud.

He sold the G to get into a high 9 second/low 10 second GTR.

Only worry would be the rods on the car, and prematurely wearing the clutch. I always wondered what the cost/reward would be

on simply changing out the pistons/rods vs doing a full engine build with sleeves would be.

$1100 for 20HP isn't bad, I would buy that with the condition being proven on the dyno.. K&N drop-in filters, high flow cats, or test pipes if you don't mind being very loud, lightweight wheels and rotors help as well... If you have an e-gear, you can get that re-programmed with faster GSL programming...

i would recommend BMC filters over K&N all day long.

I think it depends on your perception of what a "fast" car is.

700whp is INCREDIBLY fast to most people.

While Fadi's car was not the fastest car I had ridden in at the time, it was the fastest car I had ever driven. Effortless power in any

gear. He had just gotten out of a cammed/FBO Z-OH-6 that was incredibly fast/loud.

He sold the G to get into a high 9 second/low 10 second GTR.

Only worry would be the rods on the car, and prematurely wearing the clutch. I always wondered what the cost/reward would be

on simply changing out the pistons/rods vs doing a full engine build with sleeves would be.

Mike,

I think Mako is talking about the time I had all the bolt on stuff, prior to the DLM Turbo kit.

As everyone said, saver your pennies! You already have an awesome exhaust on there for now to enjoy the intoxicating sound. The rest of the bolt-ons are not worth it especially for the amount spent, IMO. I spent about 5K with the bolt on stuff and rwd conversion and it was a waste of time and money. On the flip side of things, I did not tune the car with the bolt-ons I had so whether or not that would have helped remains unknown.

Either way, I would save your dollars and put them towards a bolt on TT kit. 650-700 whp on pump gas, reliable, and quicker than most cars on the road today.

Mike,

I think Mako is talking about the time I had all the bolt on stuff, prior to the DLM Turbo kit.

As everyone said, saver your pennies! You already have an awesome exhaust on there for now to enjoy the intoxicating sound. The rest of the bolt-ons are not worth it especially for the amount spent, IMO. I spent about 5K with the bolt on stuff and rwd conversion and it was a waste of time and money. On the flip side of things, I did not tune the car with the bolt-ons I had so whether or not that would have helped remains unknown.

Either way, I would save your dollars and put them towards a bolt on TT kit. 650-700 whp on pump gas, reliable, and quicker than most cars on the road today.

Oh. Must have read it incorrectly.

Sorry Mako! :eusa_wall:

I don't understand why the topic says pissed?

But I had my ecu done by eurocharged.com . Gains all through the power band and it feels a lot sharper.

They also tuned my c63 and I did a baseline @340whp . After tune 409whp . Great company and they know their stuff.

I was struggling internally NOT to buy the Heffner kit that UGR was trying to sell last week.

You're lucky you held off. The SL kit is different than the Coupe kit. Whoever buys that kit is going to be way in over their head.

WRT bolt on mods... As everyone else has said, wait for the TT kit. Very fun and you don't need pre/post dyno runs to validate the gains because the big smile on your face will be plenty of proof.

I don't understand why the topic says pissed?

But I had my ecu done by eurocharged.com . Gains all through the power band and it feels a lot sharper.

They also tuned my c63 and I did a baseline @340whp . After tune 409whp . Great company and they know their stuff.

A funny moderator added the "pissed" part.

Eurocharged is who is offering the $1100 tune right now.

So 07pearl - you got 69whp off a tune on your c63? I asked a guy at eurocharged about a tune for my e63 and was told I'd get 20hp and 30tq. Is this because the throttle bodies are closed more from the factory on the C?

C63 is detuned front the factory through the ECU compared to the other 63 cars. So tuning the ECU has much more gains than the other E/S/SL/CL/etc cars...

I have been dealing with Eurocharged for a looong time. Not a hicuup yet after tuning 250+ cars... And Underground is affiliated with them. I don't think that huge establishment will risk their rep if they did not truly support Eurocharged fully.

Their Gallardo tune is great BTW!!!!

Their Gallardo tune is great BTW!!!!

What are you basing this on? Do you have a Gallardo tuned by eurocharged?

I don't want to over step the boundaries here on LP as I enjoy reading and posting. I will shoot you a PM...

Sounds good.