LP640 running very poorly

joebiz

Great. Just sold the car today, and the guy is picking it up at 4. The car has run perfectly up until today.

Check engine light L and R are both on. When I first start it up, the car feels like it's running on all 12 cylinders. About a a minute later, it gets very quiet almost instantly. Still running, but it sounds like on 6 cylinders maybe less.

It will BARELY get up the hill of my house and it's lurching and popping. Under full power acceleration it has a 0-60 speed of about 15 seconds. For brief periods of time, the car will run on full power, then almost instantly it will drop back down to half power. Under deceleration that car sounds almost like it has died.

Anything easy and quick to check, before I pull the plug on the transaction?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, you're all a wealth of knowledge.

Maybe it has gone into a limp mode of some sort. Would swing by the dealer and have them read the codes quickly and then judge what to do on the transaction based on that.

Lots of possible reasons the car could be in limp mode. Try cutting the battery off with the switch in the engine bay for 10-15 minutes and then restarting. That will reset some codes. If it does return to a normal operating condition try to find an open road once the car is up to operating temperature and accelerate fairly briskly (75% throttle or so) and let the RPM's stay high for a few minutes. When the cars get driven around slowly or in a lot of start and stop traffic they are much more likely to throw codes and malfunction. Also could be some bad gas so try topping it off with some premium gas from another station.

Maybe it has gone into a limp mode of some sort. Would swing by the dealer and have them read the codes quickly and then judge what to do on the transaction based on that.

closest dealer with a LARAS (or whatever they hell they call it) is about 200 miles away

I still can't find the OBD2 port, either. I'm suspecting it's the O2 sensors, and it appears that they share part numbers with the Audi R8? And, I can get those at the audi dealer here in town.

Hopefully, I've got my fingers crossed, I can get this thing spinning again... This sucks.

Lots of possible reasons the car could be in limp mode. Try cutting the battery off with the switch in the engine bay for 10-15 minutes and then restarting. That will reset some codes. If it does return to a normal operating condition try to find an open road once the car is up to operating temperature and accelerate fairly briskly (75% throttle or so) and let the RPM's stay high for a few minutes. When the cars get driven around slowly or in a lot of start and stop traffic they are much more likely to throw codes and malfunction. Also could be some bad gas so try topping it off with some premium gas from another station.

great advice- I'll give all of that a try. I'm sort of running on empty here! :-D

Damn, how bout that timing eh, Murphy's Law x100...

:eusa_wall:

It is horrible timing indeed, and you hate to have to deal with these things.

But *if* it was bound to happen anyways, and not sooner than it has already....then maybe it's better now than a few days/weeks from now where Joe might be in a moral bind to fix/not fix the issue. And even if he does take care of it, nobody feels good having that happen to their former car and the new owner might start questioning more things.

If you washed the car recently, you may have gotten water in the engine compartment. Let the car run for a while. Cycle the key a few times, run it again, then cycle the key.

Happens to me sometimes with the roadster and that usually fixes the problem.

Sux, good luck!

Sounds like water in the plug lead caps. Similar happened to my Murci after a jetwash. Plug leads out, dried off and all better.

Will be a quick look to pull the plug leads out, and fire your detailer !

All- thank you SO MUCH- I pulled it off and got the CEL reset and it was running perfectly. I did the 75% throttle routine and it completely reset the lights and it was delivered with no problems at all. New owner was pleased as a peach.

You guys are an amazing resource, thank you so much!

Now, one more to sell and I'm getting that TT G. As soon as I have a free day, that is. Which should be this next week coming up, I hope.

Any progress?

Thanks again Mr. Ed you pulled my ass out of the fire on that one! :-)

She's gone, and the buyer is just delighted. I really appreciate it!

Thanks again Mr. Ed you pulled my ass out of the fire on that one! :-)

Glad it worked out. Congratulations on the sale. Good luck with the search for the replacement. Have a great day.

There is not much that 10-15 miles of appropriately aggressive driving won't fix on these cars.