Modern day future classics thread.

Robster Craws

I am sorry if i am offending Aventador owners but the odds on the Aventador being a collectible are pretty much Zilch. They have already made over 1000 cars and at this rate, by the time production ends, there might be 10000 of them around, just like the TR.

BMW Z8 is a no brainer , and not because i own one but because the market seems to be very solid on the car. Considering the Z8 is 12 years old from original date of production and MSRP was 135k, even cars with higher mileage are within 70% of MSRP. A very good indication for the future.

Most modern exotics drop 30% the moment you drive them off the lot.

BMW M1: Again, 400 cars made, only mid engine BMW ever produced. When one considers a 507 is 1million$$ now and imo is a real dud to drive, the M1 will be a 400 to 500k car within the next 7 to 8 years. Try and find a good M1 these days for less than 200k.

Carrera GT, SLR722,anything Pagani makes are imo no brainers too.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the only one bemused reading the words ' Civic' , 'Supra', ' Subaru' etc. in this thread ?

:lol2: :iamwithstupid:

Definitely not the route I meant for the thread to take when I started it,but hey..everyone has their own definition of "classics".

BMW M1: Again, 400 cars made, only mid engine BMW ever produced. When one considers a 507 is 1million$$ now and imo is a real dud to drive, the M1 will be a 400 to 500k car within the next 7 to 8 years. Try and find a good M1 these days for less than 200k.

Just four years ago there were at least two M1's that I could have purchased for under $100k that were in near mint condition. Today even a ratty one is pushing $200k.

I am the only one bemused reading the words ' Civic' , 'Supra', ' Subaru' etc. in this thread ?

Right?

How about.... the 1990-2002 AMG mercedes SL? I'm thinking a SL 73 with same v12 as pagain , sl 70, sl 60, etc...? I personally like the design of the car, I think its a classic. Not too many AMG versions were made of that gen from what I understand .

Just four years ago there were at least two M1's that I could have purchased for under $100k that were in near mint condition. Today even a ratty one is pushing $200k.

Right?

I think i know the cars and i know what you are saying. I passed too, there are so many M1's i can own lol. Mind you, my procar is gone next month, i will keep the street car. It has 3500km on the odometer and full resto will be done by end of the year.

For Japanese cars from 1990 to 2000ish:

All skyline GTRs (excluding R33), All turbo Silvias, 180sx,200sx etc.

Nsx, s2000

Supra,and MR2 turbo (SW20)

Honda CRX Sir gen 1 and 2 , maybe Cvic and Integra type R (certainly the price has bottomed out won't be any lower)

Gen 1-5 (GC8) subaru WRX STI, Gen 1-4 EVO.

FC and FD rx7

Mx5

Currently:

FRS, Maybe just maybe the R35. That's probably it from Japan anyway.

Out of the topic a bit, many classical 60s- 80s Japanese cars going up in value right now. Like pretty much all RWD rear drive sports cars from Toyota, Nissan and Mazda rotaries.

For me, of the Japanese cars, and these should be mint, unmodded and with low kms:

early NSX

R32 GTR

Subaru WRX Sti 22B

maaaaybe a Evo 6 Tommi Makkinnen Edition

NO SHIT?! An icon to say the least.

m1_sebring_1440.jpg

I am getting a killer car as patrial trade against it. I love my procar but it just isn't fast anymore. :icon_super:

I'll throw these two into the group as well

2hposb4.jpg

Audi-Sport_quattro_1984_1600x1200_wallpa

I agree, very hard to find an M3 that is still original. The Cecotto, EVO2 AND EVO3 are already fetching stupid $$

For me, of the Japanese cars, and these should be mint, unmodded and with low kms:

early NSX

R32 GTR

Subaru WRX Sti 22B

maaaaybe a Evo 6 Tommi Makkinnen Edition

Yeh, forgot to mention the EVO 6 Tommi edition and the 22B, They are Already Classical now anyway.

I Agree with the unmodded mint condition ones, unless It's factory mods like TRD, Nismo etc.

Also Depending on the car, Cars like rotaries and these common engines like FJ, RB, K , 4age engines etc, Kms ain't really a issue imo, the motor, gearbox and diff are so easy and Cheap to rebuild and find. Chassi can always be sandblasted and rust repaired etc. As Long as there is no accident repair.

For cars that are very or extremally rare like S800, s2000gt , NSX(maybe), yeh you probably want to stick with low kms. because it's more likely to be a collectors car rather than a drivable classic.

All Performance Bimmers before E30 M3 are already worth insane amount of money now.

I am very interested in Japanese classics really even they're 30-40 years old. They don't really break down, If they do it's so easy to fix and relatively cheap parts etc.

This thread is for everyone to discuss what current cars or recent cars that have been built you believe in the future...20-30 years from now will be looked at as classics and will have their value potentially multiplied many times the amount they were when they were new or are currently.

How about you?

Not only that, but the amount of electronics in modern cars will make them impossible to "restore" down the road. I think the rawest of road cars with the lowest numbers will remain the classics....

I think most of these cars are thought as semi complicated but simple in terms of what the cars will be in the next 20-30 years.

Bigger production numbers and parts longer awailable might mean it takes cars more time to filter into classics category.

E46 M3 CSL:s will be worth stupid money, they are all ready at least here.

I love the E30, still love the utilitarian lines though prices are stupid http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3986397.htm

£75k for a BMW E30 M3 Sport Evolution.

But to go back to the question of modern cars, very few being classics due to the volumes being made, case in point the Aventador. Where are those cars? It seems that a lot of the high volume super cars are heading to the Asian markets and when would you see those cars coming out of that market?

Current

BMW 1M

Camaro ZL1 if they keep production low

2013 GT500

599 GTO

997.2 GT3RS 4.0

997.2 GT2RS

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Recent

993 Turbo

993 GT2

2005 NSX (low mileage example)

1998 Toyota Supra (low mileage example)

1999 BMW M3 (low mileage example)

1988 BMW M3 (" " ")

2003 BMW M5 (" " ")

Murcielago SV

2001 Diablo 6.0

1998 Diablo SV

SLR 722

Carrera GT

CLK-GTR

Porsche GT1

McLaren F1

Pagani Cars

I think low mile, unmolested Supras, Viper GTS and 03-04 Cobras will rise in value over time. They were the cars that my car friends and I saw as "king of the streets" in high school and will have a certain affection for in 30 years. Very few examples that have not been modified/destroyed. No chance they will be worth 20x their value now, but I think certainly see them as the ones that will appreciate over time.

Another one to throw in the mix is the CTS-V wagon in manual, the key being ultra low production numbers. Once again, will not be worth millions, but will appreciate.

On the exotic end, I think the CGT and FGT will hold their value rock solid and steadily rise as do the incomes of people that dreamed of owning them.

Current

BMW 1M

2013 GT500

599 GTO

997.2 GT3RS 4.0

997.2 GT2RS

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Recent

993 Turbo

993 GT2

1988 BMW M3 (" " ")

2003 BMW M5 (" " ")

Murcielago SV

2001 Diablo 6.0

1998 Diablo SV

SLR 722

Carrera GT

CLK-GTR

Porsche GT1

McLaren F1

Pagani Cars

Great list :icon_thumleft:

I think low mile, unmolested Supras, Viper GTS and 03-04 Cobras will rise in value over time. They were the cars that my car friends and I saw as "king of the streets" in high school and will have a certain affection for in 30 years. Very few examples that have not been modified/destroyed. No chance they will be worth 20x their value now, but I think certainly see them as the ones that will appreciate over time.
Agreed... The Supras and Cobras are almost impossible to find in "unmolested" condition. The Vipers have bottomed out in price so they've encountered a new breed of buyers throwing performance parts and custom stuff at them. Stock Vipers will be rare and desirable in 10-20 years, especially the GTS.

All skyline GTRs (excluding R33), All turbo Silvias, 180sx,200sx etc.

Nsx, s2000, Supra,and MR2 turbo (SW20), Honda CRX Sir gen 1 and 2 , maybe Cvic and Integra type R (certainly the price has bottomed out won't be any lower)

Gen 1-5 (GC8) subaru WRX STI, Gen 1-4 EVO. FC and FD rx7, Mx5

Wishful thinking on most of those... but a couple of them may hold some merit.

Current

BMW 1M

2013 GT500

599 GTO

997.2 GT3RS 4.0

997.2 GT2RS

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Recent

993 Turbo

993 GT2

1988 BMW M3 (" " ")

2003 BMW M5 (" " ")

Murcielago SV

2001 Diablo 6.0

1998 Diablo SV

SLR 722

Carrera GT

CLK-GTR

Porsche GT1

McLaren F1

Pagani Cars

I'll add a couple:

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M

04 M3 CSL

Ford GT

I'll add a couple:

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M

04 M3 CSL

Ford GT

Also the 360 Challenge Stradale I forgot as well

So is what we have concluded from this thread is that there are plenty of cars that will hold their value and potentially appreciate some in the future.. But the day of a car being bought for it's regular price and becoming worth hundreds of times it's original value are over? Ie: Aston DB5, Ferrari 250GTO,Mercedes 300SL gullwing etc..

So is what we have concluded from this thread is that there are plenty of cars that will hold their value and potentially appreciate some in the future.. But the day of a car being bought for it's regular price and becoming worth hundreds of times it's original value are over? Ie: Aston DB5, Ferrari 250GTO,Mercedes 300SL gullwing etc..

Correct.

The three cars you mention despite very low production #s and great looks/pedigree are also carbureted, manual steering, a very old school feel which has a lot of appeal for those into that era.

I think it might be possible that there would be more than usual (but still not stratospheric) appreciation for autos like Murcis, 430s, and other end of the manual transmission era cars.

That to me is the only x factor that could propel these things a bit, especially if 30 years from now the manual transmission is completely extinct in new car (or at least enthusiast car) sales.

It's a pretty simple formula: low numbers, desirable special edition/homologation/end of line, etc.

Much like the XJ220 I think the Bugatti EB110 has seen close to its floor and will appreciate in value sooner or later. Also, as much as I don't really like the Testarossa, I think the F512M version will fetch good money in due time.

Some others that come to mind: Lotus Exige S1, Lotus 340R, Mercedes-Benz 190E Evo, Audi RS2, BMW M Coupe (S54), NSX-R, etc.