Motor Trends BEST Drivers Cars of 2012!!

SV-N-IT

Not talking about this particular race, talking in general. And by the way, that's the older non-upgraded MP4...

And it's also an oddly heavy Aventador...every other test has the car at ~150 lbs lighter.... 10.8@132 is from what I recall the slowest time for the car.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do love the looks of the LP700 but it seems the mp4 has it beat in every other category. My thoughts were if you can mod a mp4 to look close to a LP, you have a win-win! And you save about a 100k. I guess time will tell. Either way the cars today are unreal compared to even 5 years ago.

Didn't we have a North American Spec Aventador weighed at 3800 to 3900 pounds on this board?

We weighed a local Aventador on my scales, it weighed 4,042 lbs. with an (almost) full tank of gas.

In fact, I think there was a thread about it on LP.

Oh yes, here it is: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...c=60625&hl=

We weighed a local Aventador on my scales, it weighed 4,042 lbs. with an (almost) full tank of gas.

It would be interesting to see how options like power and heated seats effect the weight.

I just stick with the looks :icon_mrgreen:

Agreed. When most of us fell in love with exotics when younger, it wasn't because of the performance, but because of how much the car design took out breath away. But then maybe along the way, we got a little bit of testosterone and started caring about your engine and lap times being bigger quicker than the next guy's :icon_mrgreen: . Now a days I focus on design and overall driving experience. Unless I'm planning on taking it to a track once in a while, the performance doesn't matter too much.

The mclaren f1 isn't the fastest car anymore, but its still considered the greatest because it has the overall package. great looks, great driving experience, solid numbers.

Thanks for the clarification! 4042lbs? That's farcry from the advertised weight of 3465lbs even with fluids! For materials experts here is there such a huge difference in weight and strength between injection molded CF which Lamborghini uses for its Aventador monocoque and the traditional prepreged CF?

Update: not much difference in curb weight between the Eurospec and NA spec Aventadors. Checked Car & Drivers Aventador review, curb weight was 4085lbs they were using a Euro Spec car. Praises were sung for the car however.

It's not surprising considering all the power everything lamborghini put on that car. Put it on a diet and I'm sure itll do better. But that is probably for later editions that should be lighter with rad more power...

If its power retractable which it shouldnt be, there would a nominal weight gain... if it is a removable hard top, probably same as the tub was engineered with a targa in mind...

If its power retractable which it shouldnt be, there would a nominal weight gain... if it is a removable hard top, probably same as the tub was engineered with a targa in mind...

It is targa style, a carbon fiber 2-piece roof, it was part of the original design and I doubt the weight will change much.

Something doesn't jive there and it must have been in the prep of the car. Size of the caliper doesn't matter, it is how it dissipates the heat and it is the fluid that bils.

Now with CC rotors that size and massive calipers and the correct pad, there is no way anyone is losing any brakes unless the wrong brake fluid is in there.

The 722 did 40 straight laps around a tight track with the rotors glowing after 10 laps and i had zero fade. Granted it weighs 3600lbs, but 500lbs extra is not going to negate the performance by 80%.

Motortrend is a shit magazine anyway, never like their tests or reviews. They are very biased.

Now I don't tend give much credibility to Top Gear for its factual element but they have reruns on tonight and JC said the brakes got cooked at Imola and they did have a shot of some hefty smoke coming off the brakes.

Heavy old bird for sure, put winter studded tyres on it and you drill for oil everytime you pop to the shops.

im going to drive one of those BRZ's this week! for 28k that seems like a steal. thats the price of the ceramic option on the MP4 lololol

im going to drive one of those BRZ's this week! for 28k that seems like a steal. thats the price of the ceramic option on the MP4 lololol

You will appreciate it handling characteristics and lateral seat support, but the engine note and mid-range acceleration leaves A LOT to be desired. I also found the shifter to be a little out of place (too high and too far to the right).

This is a car that should be compared to other 25-35K cars, NOT supercars IMO. Nonetheless, nice car for the money and the demand for this car is a lot more than Subaru anticipated.

I'd reserve that comment for Vipers and ZR1s. AWD Lambos do not fit that intimidation category IMHO.

You always have to take magazine comments with a grain of salt, but the dimensions, weight and AWD of the Aventador means it will never quite be a great driving car in the sense that these guys are talking about (the 911 GT3 style experience).

It probably is more enjoyable than most at say six, seven, maybe eight tenths because of it's great power and roadholding, but the last two tenths will expose it's shortcomings in heavy braking and transitions, which is something all heavy cars will struggle with.

I thougt the entire article was a joke. I did, however, agree with the Aventador conclusion. I tracked it at Imola in October, and the car is huge, especially once that mass is hauling ass (rhyme intended). Not, at all, a car you want to track. Still, a great touring car, IMO.

Now I don't tend give much credibility to Top Gear for its factual element but they have reruns on tonight and JC said the brakes got cooked at Imola and they did have a shot of some hefty smoke coming off the brakes.

Can you post a video/photo of the smoking brakes and/or JC talking about this?

There's been a lot of speculation over the brakes. I've heard from a few people that have tracked them and no one has had any major problems.

Attached is a photo of JC driving at Imola, where the brakes were glowing.

BdaSm.png