D.Wiggs LP2000-2 SV TT

Vahid

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual horsepower number is irrelevant, the volumetric efficiency is what makes the difference. If you slap a turbo on an engine with a VE of 110 versus one with a VE of 90, the engine with the higher VE will make more power.

This is true, at an equal boost pressure, as the 110 motor will flow more air at that restriction level. But ultimately you reach a point where the turbo just can't push any more air. A more efficient motor will create less boost at the peak flow, have less drive back pressure, and generally make more power. This is just making better use of the quantity of air you have available and reducing wasted energy in other areas.

The wonderful thing about physics is its black and white. If you put the single turbo from a 1.8L Jetta on a viper, what do you think would happen? I'd bet it would ultimately lose power because the turbo can't feed that motor to even its N/A levels.

Turbos are just elaborate air pumps, which have a defined relationship with fuel flow. You add air, so you add fuel to match the desired ratio. If you run out of fuel flow, you can't just add more air without melting the motor. In this case they will run out of air to feed the fuel required to make the stated HP.

I could calculate all this out, but I don't think this is the thread for it or that anyone here really cares. But I'll just say, 190-200 lb/min of airflow will not feed 2400 horses.

Then there are some things that aren't variable at all. Like the amount of power you can make with a fixed limit of oxygen. This is something that is irrelevant to motor displacement, cylinders, etc. If you can push 100 lb/min of air through a lawnmower, and get an optimal burn, that little SOB will lay down near 1k hp. At a point things like backpressure to drive the turbo fight you, as does the requirement for huge boost, etc.

The main issue I see is that those GTX4294R Turbos max out just under 100 lb/min airflow each, and way outside their efficiency range. That fact alone puts a brick wall up that says flat out, 110%, this motor will never make 2400 crank hp. It's just physically not possible, the turbos can't feed it.

I would really like to see this thing step up to at least a GTX4508R. Your back pressure will be a shit ton lower, discharge temps down, and you'll generally be in a more efficient range of the map. And the drivability between this mid frame and the 42 won't be noticeable. This isn't a 47-88 on a 3.4L Supra we're dealing with, it's got some torque to get around just fine. Though a pair of GT47's would have enough juice to push it well past 2400 without straining everything.

I know just personally, I sure wouldn't be listing an FSAE engineer as my head designer. Thats actually more worrying than anything if you have ever been around FSAE, even if he came out of Cornell.

I'm not trying to be a hater or ball breaker here, but a lot of this just doesn't add up and I'd hate to see Wiggs spend so much time and money when I can see clear as day certain aspects just won't work. I've been through these trials and tribulations, played with monster T6 80+mm turbos, and built cars that laid down 1400+ to the tires with ease. You aren't class limited, there is no need to squeak every last HP out of a given turbo vs just sizing one that will do the job properly.

No hate. You make legitimate claims. Do know that the 42s are just for breaking in the motor :) You're definitely on the right track!

I will discuss more as the progress unfolds. Start and free-revving is not far away now!

Good luck Wiggs! Man there is a lot of hate here, but I do see why as Wiggs has claimed some insane things, but I can't wait to see it done.

Wiggs, are you going to use Aerogel? That stuff is INSANELY expensive though. I wanted to get a sample once I saw it at a museum in DC.

Those are the K2s and the K2s have Beryllium Tweeters and Titanium cones on the woofers.

Didn't do the Utopia's due to weight.

K2's have always had Kevlar tweeters. At $1000/pr they can't package them with the Be drivers.

The Be tweeters alone sell for close to 2K.

K2's have always had Kevlar tweeters. At $1000/pr they can't package them with the Be drivers.

The Be tweeters alone sell for close to 2K.

I'm curious what amps are powering these speakers?

No hate. You make legitimate claims. Do know that the 42s are just for breaking in the motor :) You're definitely on the right track!

I will discuss more as the progress unfolds. Start and free-revving is not far away now!

Break in turbos, and changing them requires modifying or replacing literally every part of the turbo system piping. Thats an interesting approach.

PS - It's a brand new motor, for the love of god don't go free reving this thing unloaded. Just post some dyno pulls, even if they are just for break in and initial tuning.

Pardon me if this question has been answered already but:

Is the car's compression ratio being left alone??

The addition of forced induction, especially at this level requires a lowered compression ratio to accommodate. With enough CFM to get 2,000 horsepower i'd image it would be in the 7:1 range.

The addition of forced induction, especially at this level requires a lowered compression ratio to accommodate. With enough CFM to get 2,000 horsepower i'd image it would be in the 7:1 range.

He states the pistons result in 9.0:1 compression ratio. With the enormous dish the picture shows, getting to 7:0:1 would need a dish lower than the current pin height. Even shortening the rod appropriately, the lack of any realistic quench would result in a terrible running engine that would probably need a shot of ether just to get started.

post-3203-1347937546_thumb.jpg

Any idea of the boost level 2,000+ would require given the current power and boost levels of the TT Murci's already out there?

Claims 9:1... it isn't a blower car, you can get away with some compression to keep it snappy down low. This thing is going to have to run on rocket fuel anyway.

Break in turbos, and changing them requires modifying or replacing literally every part of the turbo system piping. Thats an interesting approach.

Unless he's going with a turbo with a completely different mount, nothing has to be changed.

Nick

Unless he's going with a turbo with a completely different mount, nothing has to be changed.

Nick

If he goes to a bigger frame (45 or 47) everything will be different. The V-Band inlet on that SS Turbine housing very well may be a different size. The bigger turbos will have a 6" downpipe mount, larger discharge from the compressor, and a 5" or 6" inlet to the turbo. Beyond the basic size differences, everything will be in a different place.

Unless he just goes to the next biggest 42 series, everything has to be changed.

Claims 9:1... it isn't a blower car, you can get away with some compression to keep it snappy down low. This thing is going to have to run on rocket fuel anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm pulling old info out of my mind from the hot-rod days :lol2:

Shouldnt it be called the D.Wiggs LP-three people or however many it took to push into the fcuking garage-SV TT at this point?

Please tell me you called the DMV and asked them to re-register this thing with a salvage title.

Covert tuning dynamics.............jesus h christ.

And how high do you have to be before you paste a 330mph speedo onto a car that hasnt even been started yet???????

Shouldnt it be called the D.Wiggs LP-three people or however many it took to push into the fcuking garage-SV TT at this point?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Please tell me you called the DMV and asked them to re-register this thing with a salvage title.

And how high do you have to be before you paste a 330mph speedo onto a car that hasnt even been started yet???????

next time don't hold back on how you really feel. lol

Never before has this picture had more relevance.

26884660.jpg

Take the tampon out of your cunt and calm down. I think TSS might be setting in! :lol2: