Would you drive a replica?

abolfaz

There's nothing out there with the exception of an Aventador roadster that really turns me on and considering all the other extracurricular activities I'm involved with, I can't spend $500k+ at the moment for a car. With that said, I've wanted one of these for ever and am getting close to pulling the trigger now that they've evolved into what we see in the photo above. From what limited information I've been able to find, the two best replica's are the Bailey Edwards 917 or the Kraftwerkz 917. The Kraftwerkz car looks a bit more correct (especially around the headlights) but the Bailey Edwards car seems to be much better built.

Here's the Bailey 917...

dd1233557742.jpg

What do you guys think?

Hell yes i would rock one!

Ive allways loved the 917 and would love a road going one.

I think they are amazing.. What about that other company I posted about not too long ago? They also make a P4 replica.. The one thing for you though, is I dont see enjoying that on Miami roads. Those cars need either the track, or nice long open and winding roads. I wish someone would do more of a Daur Style replica of the 962..

I think they are amazing.. What about that other company I posted about not too long ago? They also make a P4 replica.. The one thing for you though, is I dont see enjoying that on Miami roads. Those cars need either the track, or nice long open and winding roads. I wish someone would do more of a Daur Style replica of the 962..

Allan, I can have plenty of fun tooling around Old Cutler. As far as a 962 replica, there are several guys that make all the parts you need to build one, yet I've never seen a complete car. Ironic as the last several years of racing 962's were essentially kit cars built with a hybrid of factory and non factory parts.

How does a build like this work? Looks like Bailey sells them without the engines? Or would you go for a used one that is complete?

The real deal is undriveable and completely impractical as everything is unobtainum. These look great. Are you thinking for the street?

What engine would you put in it???

As far as the Porsche 962's go, ive noticed that TurboGallardo has "P962 Project" or something along those lines in the bottom of his signature now. Curious if he is buidling a replica 962....

I was expecting this to be a thread on a Speedster or 550 replica, but this is another level of awesome. Best of all, it would have a Porsche drivetrain. This is definitely a replica I would personally rock.

• 1 month later...
The real deal is undriveable and completely impractical as everything is unobtainum. These look great. Are you thinking for the street?

Why do you say that ?? The first cars for sure. In so far as making a direct comparison with a modern equivalent....then I don't know about undriveable but certainly old and challenging in every period correct way !!

Vic Elford raves over them once the glitches on the early cars were sorted. Derek Bell never stops going on about them.....which is fantastic of course !! Have you been to the classics/historics and spoken to any of the owners; they always seem ecstatic !? Perhaps it's a macho thing whereas they have a reputation and taming them was for the elite. Or some other bollocks....who knows. A highly successful car no doubt, an icon now.

Vic joined a forum and discussed them :-)

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...=46864&st=0

http://www.9magazine.com/franchittis-drivi...orsche-917.html

http://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=rare / Pelicans are always linking auctions for the 917 bits..... if it was me this would be half the fun !!! There ared copmpanies in germany who manufacture modern historic porsche bits and bobs and so im sure it is manageable.

Problem is the value and implications of risking the drives is more of an issue for the owners I would have thought !

The stuff of dreams in race or excellent replica guise :icon_mrgreen:

1.jpg

Why do you say that ?? The first cars for sure. In so far as making a direct comparison with a modern equivalent....then I don't know about undriveable but certainly old and challenging in every period correct way !!

Vic Elford raves over them once the glitches on the early cars were sorted. Derek Bell never stops going on about them.....which is fantastic of course !! Have you been to the classics/historics and spoken to any of the owners; they always seem ecstatic !? Perhaps it's a macho thing whereas they have a reputation and taming them was for the elite. Or some other bollocks....who knows. A highly successful car no doubt, an icon now.

Vic joined a forum and discussed them :-)

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...=46864&st=0

http://www.9magazine.com/franchittis-drivi...orsche-917.html

http://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=rare / Pelicans are always linking auctions for the 917 bits..... if it was me this would be half the fun !!! There ared copmpanies in germany who manufacture modern historic porsche bits and bobs and so im sure it is manageable.

Problem is the value and implications of risking the drives is more of an issue for the owners I would have thought !

The stuff of dreams in race or excellent replica guise :icon_mrgreen:

1.jpg

Have you seen the tube frame of a 917 ? Do you know how they test if the frame is bent ? Have you priced a motor and transmission, never mind the little bits . Do you know the frame bends when you drive the car in anger at tracks like Sebring ? That what makes a 917 undriveable, just a pain in the ass.

I have been exposed to the cars quite a bit and could have bought one years ago when they were not in the stratosphere like they are now. Just not worth the hassle.

Would have been a great investment mind you.

• 4 weeks later...

I drive a Kraftwerks....great car. I have seen the Bailey cars and not even close to the Kraftwerks cars in regards to quality....

post-7323-1375592655.jpg

post-7323-1375592669.jpg

post-7323-1375592743.jpg

post-7323-1375592784.jpg

good lord nsxer that thing is gorgeous and then with your insane RHD right side shift GT40 its awesome.

Is that your 917?