The Knife Thread

TheFilipinoStig

Hi everyone!

I've mostly been a lurker for a few months now and figured I would join in and share my very small collection that I mostly use when out camping.

26w2.jpg

My favorite out of the bunch is probably the benchmade 580. It was one of my first knife purchases, and in hindsight I kind of wish I bought the plain edge version because I personally don't really find the serration that useful. If anything, I feel it detracts from the actual useable portion of the knife (it makes up almost half the blade!).

Anyways... now I know not to buy a serrated knife in the future just because it looks cooler than the plain edge version :lol:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old leatherman wave!!! I remember when they first came out.

:iamwithstupid:

I've got one. One of the best all-around tools to have camping, off-roading, whatever.

• 2 years later...
While on a recent "lambo" trip - we met an owner who exports/imports regularly to middle eastern companies and has an office in Saudi Arabia as well as southern U.S. He had quite an interesting past including a felony conviction (he was on parole at the time we met him).

He showed us a fascinating gadget that he carries in his wallet which has never been confiscated by the TSA. It is the size of a credit card. I don't know if this is the exact product but it was darn close:

http://iainsinclair.com/products.php

card_sharp2.jpg

On the one hand - good for him.

On the other hand - kinda scary that the bad guys could be carrying this on board.

credit card knife free

I think Damascus Steel knives are beautiful. I know nothing about them though, other than they are pretty :lol2:

7e6aa74f52bf9377ba92177c3df2b7f8.jpg

Trade_authentic_Damascus_steel_blade_7_inches_Japanese_chef_professional_chef_knives_producing_direct_interest_free.jpg

9778f9b3343fd69a5eb0bc75656801e5.jpg

bushcraft_knife_damascus_steel_burl_wood_handle_with_leather_sheath_105_p.jpg

• 10 months later...

Looking for recommendation for carry knife that can be opened with either hand.

Have a browning knife that's just okay - it's a bit large for my hands and is all metal with little texture and could be slippery when I might need it. They sent it free when they fixed my shotgun. Got what we paid for. Lacks several features I'd like.

Hubby just bought a spyderco paramilitary2. Features I like:

- textured handle

- circular "grab" to open instead of protruding nub on either side

- shape, enhancing ability to grip without slipping (especially if hands get sweaty with adrenaline)

- lightweight

- clip removable, or relocatable to either side, either end

- blade release is on the back of handle so fingers are not in the way of the blade as it begins to close

IMG_0724.JPG

That model spyderco is still a little big for me.

The choices are overwhelming. Any suggestions to narrow things down are appreciated. Not looking for anything worthy of "heirloom" quality - just a daily carry that will be in the pocket opposite my holster.

Took a pistol inside-the-home self defense class recently, and this was one of the suggestions of the instructor. Learned a TON, and will be putting night sights on some guns, along with ambidextrous safety on hubby's carry. Got some range time including having to shoot "bad guys" from around a corner, and through a door, and were required to shoot with each hand. REALLY great training, and brought up many things we never considered. Well worth time/cost. We'll be taking the next level this summer (outside-the-home pistol self defense).

I'm right handed but will be practicing with each hand going forward. Was a decent shot with my left hand, possibly because I'm left eye dominant.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Sent you an email about handgun classes. Give my best to the hubby and sorry I don't have much to add on knives.

My favorite carry knife is my Kershaw Junkyard dog. They have a huge range of knives in a bunch of sizes, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I personally like the Spyderco's with the Emerson opener for self defense and carry.(legal in most states)..easy open either way, and the catch hook on the blade opens as you pull it out of your pocket..so in a self defense situation you have one handed open instantly..

I also carry a Benchmade as others have posted earlier for non self defense light and small enough...just my 2c

Looking for recommendation for carry knife that can be opened with either hand.

Have a browning knife that's just okay - it's a bit large for my hands and is all metal with little texture and could be slippery when I might need it. They sent it free when they fixed my shotgun. Got what we paid for. Lacks several features I'd like.

Hubby just bought a spyderco paramilitary2. Features I like:

- textured handle

- circular "grab" to open instead of protruding nub on either side

- shape, enhancing ability to grip without slipping (especially if hands get sweaty with adrenaline)

- lightweight

- clip removable, or relocatable to either side, either end

- blade release is on the back of handle so fingers are not in the way of the blade as it begins to close

IMG_0724.JPG

That model spyderco is still a little big for me.

The choices are overwhelming. Any suggestions to narrow things down are appreciated. Not looking for anything worthy of "heirloom" quality - just a daily carry that will be in the pocket opposite my holster.

Took a pistol inside-the-home self defense class recently, and this was one of the suggestions of the instructor. Learned a TON, and will be putting night sights on some guns, along with ambidextrous safety on hubby's carry. Got some range time including having to shoot "bad guys" from around a corner, and through a door, and were required to shoot with each hand. REALLY great training, and brought up many things we never considered. Well worth time/cost. We'll be taking the next level this summer (outside-the-home pistol self defense).

I'm right handed but will be practicing with each hand going forward. Was a decent shot with my left hand, possibly because I'm left eye dominant.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

I switch between a Spyderco and a Benchmade for daily carry. I love both for different reasons, but my newest knife is a Benchmade with plastic handle. It is alot easier for me to open one handed, very grippy handle, and has a very secure lock that would be difficult to unlock and close the knife while using it. The handle is my major like over the stainless, titanium, or carbon fiber handled Spyderco knives i have. It fits well in the pocket too. I have a couple SOG knives, and the models i have are simply too thick to fit in my pocket without being too noticeable. My Spyderco's fit well in the pocket, but the lack of grip on the handle would definitely be an issue if your hand was anything other than dry.

This is my current every day, everywhere, pocket knife. http://www.benchmade.com/531-2.html

Sent you an email about handgun classes. Give my best to the hubby and sorry I don't have much to add on knives.
Thanks B and will do!

My favorite carry knife is my Kershaw Junkyard dog. They have a huge range of knives in a bunch of sizes, you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Thank you. I will definitely check out Kershaw.

I personally like the Spyderco's with the Emerson opener for self defense and carry.(legal in most states)..easy open either way, and the catch hook on the blade opens as you pull it out of your pocket..so in a self defense situation you have one handed open instantly..

I also carry a Benchmade as others have posted earlier for non self defense light and small enough...just my 2c

Thanks for the link and I'll check out Benchmade. I'm not familiar with an Emerson opener so I will learn about that too.

I switch between a Spyderco and a Benchmade for daily carry. I love both for different reasons, but my newest knife is a Benchmade with plastic handle. It is alot easier for me to open one handed, very grippy handle, and has a very secure lock that would be difficult to unlock and close the knife while using it. The handle is my major like over the stainless, titanium, or carbon fiber handled Spyderco knives i have. It fits well in the pocket too. I have a couple SOG knives, and the models i have are simply too thick to fit in my pocket without being too noticeable. My Spyderco's fit well in the pocket, but the lack of grip on the handle would definitely be an issue if your hand was anything other than dry.

This is my current every day, everywhere, pocket knife. http://www.benchmade.com/531-2.html

I appreciate the detailed reply and understanding what drives your preference for one over the other.

I was practicing opening/closing hubby's spyderco and of course the more I use it, the more comfortable I get. I still think it's a bit big for me but I suppose for self defense bigger is better as long as I can be proficient. The grip has a criss-cross diamond pattern surface that feels quite grippy - but I think I'll get my hands wet and see how it works under those conditions.

Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions. I really appreciate the guidance.

Ohh ohh.. I wanna play.

I love knives! I remember as a child, 6 years old, wanting a butterfly knife after seeing the opening scene of Big Trouble in Little China. Back then you could walk through the malls in town and there was a store called "Cutlery World". They had tons of butterflies in the case. My mother wouldn't have it. When I was seven, on a family trip to Tennessee, my Uncle heard of my fascination with knives and pulled out a shoe box of old pocket knives and talked my mother into allowing me to have one. I came across that very same knife while digging through my old toys looking for real Transformers for my 3 year old nephew. I brought it home and intend on cleaning it up.

Yes, I know- it's gross and junk. But to a seven year old= woa. And- its really just a lead in for the fun ones below.

i-WfX4ggs-L.jpg

So- over the years I have had many knives. These two are my most favorite.

This one here is my daily carry. I keep it in its woven sheath in my coat. Some may scoff at it as it is a knockoff. Yes, I'll repeat that, this is a knockoff of a $300 Benchmade Balisong. Why do I feel the need to make that clear? Well, one, because I don't want to misrepresent it, but also because I can't believe the quality of this thing @ $20. It has some flaws in that you can tell it was cast and then finish milled, rather than fully milled. (I assume the Benchmade unit is fully milled) but I don't care. As far as I was concerned at the time of purchase= it would likely get lost, broken or confiscated (NY has some interested laws) and at that time, the very same model from Benchmade was discontinued and I could not find one. That is how I found this one, searching for the real one nationally on Craigslist. Kid in the next town over had a pair, NIB for $40.

i-S6b3JBB-L.jpg

i-zwx933z-L.jpg

i-wvn5cwC-L.jpg

Now save the flaming for showing the knockoff, this is what I really wanted to share:

My Millennium AB Stiletto.

Back in 1999, while many of you were picking up your Millennium Edition roadsters, the 20 year old me had more attainable goals. I was trying to find a nice switchblade with an ivory or pearl handle. I came across a site out of Italy that made switchblades and they were CHEAP.. I ordered, I think 4 to begin with. My white/marble like handled 9" with a standard blade, an 11" with a kris blade and then a couple of others which I think I gave away as gifts to friends. I still have those two around the house. After they arrived, and how thrilled I was with the quick shipping, the fact that they didn't get confiscated by customs and how cool they were, I decided to bite on a special edition stiletto they were advertising. The Millennium Knife. They made 50 in 9" and 50 in 11" if I recall. Came with a cert and box and as you can see it is numbered 36/50. This model has the Damascus Carbon Steel blade and the handle is made from Italian Horn. It's a beaut' Clark. One of my favorite little things that I got my hands on over the years. Obviously- these ones don't leave the house here in Communist NY.

i-zdTCHLq-L.jpg

i-9tdvSBG-L.jpg

i-TXp9sPs-L.jpg

i-cj5MHXV-L.jpg