LP2000-2 SVTT Heads West!

D.Wiggs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1055060[/url]']

:icon_super:

How difficult is it to convert to 6 speed and what about the third pedal?

We will time the conversion when we go from manual to egear but it won't take long. And the clutch pedal will swing up and out of the way!

After seeing this transmission change, gotta admire the balls to do a conversion on a car of this magnitude.

Wiggs, you should have bought an Enzo instead, done a manual conversion, and called it a day. You would have been a hero. :icon_thumleft:

David, will it be on display at the stampede launch? I know it won't run the stampede, that wouldn't make sence.

David, you have to help me understand something. I know you have touted the NASA connection and it has been flogged to death, blah blah blah. I am not here to bash. I have a question. How does it make sense to run your charge air pipes, that is pushing air that has just been cooled by your intercooler, right next to the hottest component of the car (the Turbo). You are taking air that has just had its temp mechanically dropped and raising it right back up again immediately before combustion. I don't get it.

If you look at the Underground kit, they have the intercoolers immediately before the air enters the intake/combustion chamber. I am curious as to why you did this. I do like that there is minimal bending in your intake tubing, to smooth airflow, but it also looks as though it is not symetrical/equal length runners. Would that not give you different pressures side to side? I am asking, as I am curious. Good luck with getting it on the road, it looks as though it has been a mammoth project.

1055118[/url]']

David, you have to help me understand something. I know you have touted the NASA connection and it has been flogged to death, blah blah blah. I am not here to bash. I have a question. How does it make sense to run your charge air pipes, that is pushing air that has just been cooled by your intercooler, right next to the hottest component of the car (the Turbo). You are taking air that has just had its temp mechanically dropped and raising it right back up again immediately before combustion. I don't get it.

If you look at the Underground kit, they have the intercoolers immediately before the air enters the intake/combustion chamber. I am curious as to why you did this. I do like that there is minimal bending in your intake tubing, to smooth airflow, but it also looks as though it is not symetrical/equal length runners. Would that not give you different pressures side to side? I am asking, as I am curious. Good luck with getting it on the road, it looks as though it has been a mammoth project.

We set it up that way because the NASA connection has been with heat shielding materials and shielding the heat of the turbos from the charge pipes is actually quite easy. What we didn't want to do is bake the intercooler with the turbos as that ensures poor efficiency. Also, they are as symmetrical and equal length (within a mm) as the offset engine allows.

We set it up that way because the NASA connection has been with heat shielding materials and shielding the heat of the turbos from the charge pipes is actually quite easy. What we didn't want to do is bake the intercooler with the turbos as that ensures poor efficiency. Also, they are as symmetrical and equal length (within a mm) as the offset engine allows.

What kind of temps have you seen from testing?

What kind of temps have you seen from testing?

We had a MAP gas torch on a piece of 2mm material about 3-4" away so most likely something in the 2000° range given MAP gas is 3200° at its hottest and we were seeing 108° on the other side. We were easily able to hold the material in our hands during the test. It was pretty amazing.

Dave, MAPP gas was actually discontinued 5 years ago. The stuff you get now is just propane with some added goodies. If it's being used with a regular benzomatic propane head without supplemental oxygen you aren't going to be able to heat anything up to much over 900 (I've measured MAPP vs. aceacetylene while heat treating steel). Using anything that has a concentrated heat source like a torch isn't really going to give you a good indication of how well a shielding material will work, since it's designed to dissipate heat from a large area. Until you get eveything buttoned up and actually see where the heat is going due to airflow, radiance, etc. it will all just be speculation. My "ambient" remark was in regards to the fact that the turbos have not seen boost yet.

Dave, MAPP gas was actually discontinued 5 years ago. The stuff you get now is just propane with some added goodies. If it's being used with a regular benzomatic propane head without supplemental oxygen you aren't going to be able to heat anything up to much over 900 (I've measured MAPP vs. aceacetylene while heat treating steel). Using anything that has a concentrated heat source like a torch isn't really going to give you a good indication of how well a shielding material will work, since it's designed to dissipate heat from a large area. Until you get eveything buttoned up and actually see where the heat is going due to airflow, radiance, etc. it will all just be speculation. My "ambient" remark was in regards to the fact that the turbos have not seen boost yet.

:icon_thumleft: Good info!

And yes, you are correct. The real test will be done with a fully running engine.

You need to get one of these.

IMAG0205_zps2e8ffa5b.jpg

IMAG0204_zps3307a180.jpg

It works just like a digital camera ( image capture, SD card, and whatnot) and has more features than I've ever needed. Can you tell it's a slow Friday? Great for troubleshooting electrical gremlins like shorted wires also. Just watch out when you are pointing it at females or you may end up in court!

You need to get one of these.

IMAG0205_zps2e8ffa5b.jpg

IMAG0204_zps3307a180.jpg

It works just like a digital camera ( image capture, SD card, and whatnot) and has more features than I've ever needed. Can you tell it's a slow Friday? Great for troubleshooting electrical gremlins like shorted wires also. Just watch out when you are pointing it at females or you may end up in court!

That's awesome. I love TI cameras.

(infrared) laser to the eye!

He'll live. The laser wasn't on (I think) and his eyes were closed. I use infrared laser micrometers all the time and have always wondered just how mutagenic those lasers really are. I guess I'll find out eventually.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread since Stiggy made it out west part deux. Hopefully we'll see some video of a 300 MPH fly by or some jaunts into the upper atmosphere. :icon_mrgreen:

I also used my keen powers of deduction to figure out why there have been so many delays. It seems Dave and Co. have been battling that damned Y2K bug this whole time. :eusa_think:

10597311_508369999296610_998405612_n.jpg

That, or what you are witnessing in the above pic is the first day in a new millennium of car tuning. The thousand year "Riiiiigggghhhht" :rolleyes:.

In all seriousness, glad the car is buttoned back up and roadworthy. Must feel great to be driving it again. Now turn up the boost and see what it can do!

Put almost 1,000 miles on the car the past 7 days and it feels great! Displaying at Quail was a great honor and looking forward to some more great Cali driving before sending him home!

Put almost 1,000 miles on the car the past 7 days and it feels great! Displaying at Quail was a great honor and looking forward to some more great Cali driving before sending him home!

How much power are you making?

The MC12 is owned by Beverly Hills Motoring. We have it tuned on low boost, 91 Octane so it's 'only' making about 1200rwhp. Even with 5lb. Springs we couldn't make less than 1000! LOL

Great shot at Quail!