Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder

q8ylambo

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But..but...so many called this car "slow"... :eusa_wall:

Amazing time, particularly in light of those rumors/stories about McLaren trying to get the P1 under 7:00 last month and having some issues in making it happen (allegedly).

To put that time in perspective, Evo did a test there of I believe the Zonda, CGT, Koeniggegg and a F60. They were all in the 7 minutes 25 second and up range. That's amazing that it is almost 30 seconds a lap faster.

Porsche racer/test driver Mark Lieb was behind the wheel, it was the Weissach version, and they were on Michel Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

Aren't these the same tires Webster was raving about being put on his CGT? I'd love to see some of the older cars run laps with new rubber. It really seems like rubber has advanced at an incredible rate as of late.

Guys the P1 will be so much faster. Downforce and vtec yo!

If only our own 'asselerator' was behind the wheel...his engineering prowess and knowledge of vertices would make the difference for shure guyz!

If only our own 'asselerator' was behind the wheel...his engineering prowess and knowledge of vertices would make the difference for shure guyz!

If P1 loses to this fat Porsche he will blame it on the air at Nordschleife or maybe not because in his head McLaren never loses.

Another interesting bit of trivia, I red ( can't remember where) few weeks ago an article about the new GT3, they tested it against the MP4 on the track in UK and the GT3 was faster 😱

If P1 loses to this fat Porsche he will blame it on the air at Nordschleife or maybe not because in his head McLaren never loses.

Another interesting bit of trivia, I red ( can't remember where) few weeks ago an article about the new GT3, they tested it against the MP4 on the track in UK and the GT3 was faster 😱

It was in the latest Evo

"Pilot Sport Cup 2" are the near slick tires. The new fully-street (including wet!) tire that's proving great on the CGT is the Super Sports.

Absolutely amazing time, though, regardless of the tire. And you can be sure that McLaren didn't stick a n00b in their P1 when they tried to do a sub-7 time.

What's almost most impressive is how easy the car appears to be to drive! Lieb hardly has to correct at all. That's pretty insane given the near 900hp!!

This car is definitely growing on me. I'd take one over the P1 or the ThethetheFerrari for sure (in large parts of course because you can take the roof off!).

Makes you think what the car would be capable without electrics....

I think it might be actually slower, this car has superb traction and composure, must be the torque vectoring and partial 4wd/4wsteering.

Remember 6:25,91 drived by Stefan Bellof with a Porsche 956 wayyyyy back in history.

Ofcourse it was full slicks full aero car but still...

Interesting notion from the full video. in the start car takes multiple times 300kmh. But before Dottinger-Höhe straight, driver turns some drivemode cnob and car does not go much more than 280kmh on the straight, does not make sense, unless the batteries were flat by the time he drove to that straight. Comes to mind that losing that electric system and weight with it. and having twice the engine power, it would have been lot lot lot faster on dottinger-höhe.

Makes you think what the car would be capable without electrics....

Remember 6:25,91 drived by Stefan Bellof with a Porsche 956 wayyyyy back in history.

No it doesn't. It would do worse without the electronics and Porsche has said so themselves. Every comment on jalopnik and autoblog seem to focus on thus same point. Porsche has said hybrids are the future.

Everyone wants to say how it would be faster without all of the hybrid gear but that simply isn't the point. Even if it was you can't pick what tech to simply ignore. It would be faster without airbags or other modern safety equipment but that simply isnt how we can build cars anymore.

I love that Porsche has said what they think the future will be a built a car to work in that future that can still dominate the present.

No it doesn't. It would do worse without the electronics and Porsche has said so themselves. Every comment on jalopnik and autoblog seem to focus on thus same point. Porsche has said hybrids are the future.

Everyone wants to say how it would be faster without all of the hybrid gear but that simply isn't the point. Even if it was you can't pick what tech to simply ignore. It would be faster without airbags or other modern safety equipment but that simply isnt how we can build cars anymore.

I love that Porsche has said what they think the future will be a built a car to work in that future that can still dominate the present.

Thats what I meant but it took a while to edit my post, if you read it now, does it make more sense?

Makes sense! And I agree once the electric system looses juice you have more weight without any extra power. Its not perfect but it is damn impressive!!!

Reminded me of this.

Amazing watching how calm the 918 seemed compared to the violence experienced in the 956. I wonder if the circuit is actually that much smoother, or if the suspension technology has evolved that far? Sub 7 minutes in a street car on street tires is mind boggling. The video below is right at 7 minutes (1 min 30 extra for the added track during the 24). Watch the fully prepped race cars Hans flies by and realize that the 918 would be carrying THAT SAME PACE. On street tires. Crazy.

If I remember right, the delta was .1s, but the GT3 was running cup tires and the McLaren was on Pzeros. I'm guessing the outcome would be a bit different if you equipped the McLaren with a similar tire. It can be ordered with Corsa tires and lightweight wheels, but I think the Evo car was just whatever spec their long term test car happened to be. I think it says a lot about both cars. The 991 is a track day car that punches way above it's weight with a great price, and the McLaren is a car that is probably quicker than even the track day cars, but still an amazing daily driver. Sounds crazy to say it, but man is Automatic mode nice and comfy on the McLaren.

Tires are everything and in general, Michelins and Dunlops (and a new upcoming tire from another manufacturer) are all stickier rubber than anything that Pirelli makes for road cars. Even Trofeo R's don't really get to Sport Cup 2 level. That said, the P1's tires are custom specced for them.

If anything, the reason for the P1 not beating the 918 would be down to lack of development time at the Ring and driver (look at Marc Lieb's palmares, it includes multiple wins at the Nurburgring, compared to say Chris Goodwin) or possibly the suspension being too stiff.

We still haven't seen any run in the P1 without a passenger or with DRS being used.

Congrats to Porsche. That's a stonkin time, but not unexpected. As I have said before, behind the P1, the 918 is my favorite of the hypercars. I knew it would surprise.

And once again, it will demolish a Huayra

PS: I finally drove another car that can do 0-60 mph in 3 seconds and corner better than she goes in a straight line. Hint, its motor is hugely restricted but without exhaust, is around 125 dB. Yay for driving experience!

If anything, the reason for the P1 not beating the 918 would be down to lack of development time at the Ring and driver (look at Marc Lieb's palmares, it includes multiple wins at the Nurburgring, compared to say Chris Goodwin) or possibly the suspension being too stiff.

We still haven't seen any run in the P1 without a passenger or with DRS being used.

Or it's just slower.

Interesting notion from the full video. in the start car takes multiple times 300kmh. But before Dottinger-Höhe straight, driver turns some drivemode cnob and car does not go much more than 280kmh on the straight, does not make sense, unless the batteries were flat by the time he drove to that straight. Comes to mind that losing that electric system and weight with it. and having twice the engine power, it would have been lot lot lot faster on dottinger-höhe.

Yeah I noticed that too, car couldn't go faster than 280 after he fiddled with that button. The boost was also showing red indicator, before there were yellow dots.. I don't think the car can't go faster without electric motor, must be another issue..

If I remember right, the delta was .1s, but the GT3 was running cup tires and the McLaren was on Pzeros. I'm guessing the outcome would be a bit different if you equipped the McLaren with a similar tire. It can be ordered with Corsa tires and lightweight wheels, but I think the Evo car was just whatever spec their long term test car happened to be. I think it says a lot about both cars. The 991 is a track day car that punches way above it's weight with a great price, and the McLaren is a car that is probably quicker than even the track day cars, but still an amazing daily driver. Sounds crazy to say it, but man is Automatic mode nice and comfy on the McLaren.

Not sure about tires, I don't really care too much about lap times, stats etc. but since everyone raves about how fast the MP4 is on the track, aero, track development etc. to see the unassuming GT3 steal its thunder without too much fuss was quite an eye opener on how good the GT3 is, I would definitely have one over a MP4, it's looking quite enticing TBH.