The Cigar Thread

Kerplop

I figured.... I can't find one anywhere. Despite a scotch thread some time ago. I can only count the number of cigars I've had in my life on one hand. However, a friend told me, "If you like scotch, you need to have good scotch and a good cigar sometime." I tried it, hesitantly of course. To my surprise the taste and aroma complimented each other quite nicely. I bought myself a good bottle of scotch tonight to celebrate selling my last car to make room and bought a nice cigar.

I wouldn't consider myself anything more than a celebratory smoker. A cigar on a rare occasion, socially, with a fine scotch.

Anyone here also enjoy nice cigars? Any recommendations? Any scotch and cigar combinations you greatly enjoy? Bueler?

Only "okay" cigars I've had thus far have been: Ashton, Arturo Fuente, Cohiba and had a nice Rocky Patel.

Although, I can imagine there are more expensive and good tasting stuff out there. But I am admittedly uneducated on them. Educate me :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are talking!

I got into cigars about my freshman year of college then later on when I was managing a local liquor store (perfect college job btw) I managed our Cigar department and really stepped up my game and haven't looked back.

My cigars of choice have been Padron (I'm a padron whore) they are fantastic smokes but can be a little strong for a new guy, I love the 45th anniversary. I also personally love the Alec Bradley line up and the Oliva line up. Both offer a fantastic variety and great prices.

One thing I always explain to guys just getting into it is that its like wine, there are alot of good bottles of wine for around 15-20 bucks and as you steadily increase the price there is a rate of diminishing return. Yes a 100 dollar bottle is better than a 15-20 dollar bottle but to someone starting out that difference isnt very noticable. The same goes for cigars and for cigars the price point for a bunch of good cigars seems to be right around the 7-8 dollar range. You can get some great smokes for around that price. Also don't be afraid to try a new one or buy a sampler pack.

As for scotches to go with a cigar I dont care for really smoky scotches as I already get that flavor profile with the cigar, although lately I have been doing bourbon instead.

Now we are talking!

I got into cigars about my freshman year of college then later on when I was managing a local liquor store (perfect college job btw) I managed our Cigar department and really stepped up my game and haven't looked back.

My cigars of choice have been Padron (I'm a padron whore) they are fantastic smokes but can be a little strong for a new guy, I love the 45th anniversary. I also personally love the Alec Bradley line up and the Oliva line up. Both offer a fantastic variety and great prices.

One thing I always explain to guys just getting into it is that its like wine, there are alot of good bottles of wine for around 15 bucks and as you steadily increase the price there is a rate of diminishing return. Yes a 100 dollar bottle is better than a 15 dollar bottle but to someone starting out not that difference isnt very noticable. The same goes for cigars and for cigars the price point for a bunch of good cigars seems to be right around the 7-8 dollar range. You can get some great smokes for around that price. Also don't be afraid to try a new one or buy a sampler pack.

As for scotches to go with a cigar I dont care for really smoky scotches as I already get that flavor profile with the cigar, although lately I have been doing bourbon instead.

I can agree with the differences. I forgot to mention I had a "cuban" but it was without a name and a cheap cigar. Needless to say it tasted like shit and I hated it. I went with an Ashton to follow it up and the difference was phenomenal! I'm the same way with scotch. My most recent "Nice" scotch paired with an Ashton was a Glenfiddich Cask Strength 15 yr speyside. Absolutely great combination.

I'll look into bourbon. I'm not much into bourbon and only had it a few times. I'm definitely more into scotch, but I suppose if I tried some different bourbons I might change my mind. Hence why I ask in the thread :) I figure there is nothing wrong with asking. My wife has put up with the few cigars I've had so long as I "take that shit outside" - but she's smoked a few cigars with me. Hell, she even tried some scotch as well :lol:

I find that if I have too strong of a scotch, or drink too much to where it overstimulates the palate that I end up not tasting the cigar as much. The last 2 I've had I just barely dip the tip of the cigar in my scotch and smoke it that way. Something like the Glenfiddich Cask Strength and the Ashton had a wonderful aroma and taste to compliment each other. On that same note though, I've found some $30-50 bottles of scotch I like BETTER than $100 bottles of scotch. I suppose it all depends on what you like. Having only had 5 cigars (I don't count the cheap cuban), I'd say I probably haven't had enough to decide what I really like. Although the Rocky Patel wasn't bad.

I like CAO's and the RP vintage 1990's are great. Cohiba's, Arturo Fuente's, and plenty of others. I am an occasional smoker also. The thing I've found is that half the battle is figuring out if you prefer the lighter blondes, mediums, or the super strong maduro's. I seem to like all three at different times. When it comes to scotch I'm a Mac guy. Way more into bourbon. One of my favorite is Eagle Rare. Not too pricey and I prefer it over some bottles I have that are twice as much. If you're into cask strength Willet and Basil Hayden's are both good. I'm not big into cognac, but it pairs well with cigars. Congrats on the car sales.

I smoked cigars occasionally when I was in college and I think it was mainly because it felt cool and then I realized how shitty everything tasted afterwards so I stopped lol. Besides the color of liquor, I couldn't tell the difference between a whiskey and a scotch or a $10 bottle and a $100 bottle. But I still find it intriguing to read about!

Im not real big on cigars, however my wifes family owns Plasencia Cigars, which I believe is the largest, or one of the largest cigar manufacturers in the world. I think they make cigars for like 40 different brands.

Im not real big on cigars, however my wifes family owns Plasencia Cigars, which I believe is the largest, or one of the largest cigar manufacturers in the world. I think they make cigars for like 40 different brands.

Holy shit. :leghump:

ATL_ you have some great smokes and a great beer there as well in the two hearted. Ive got about half a dozen Opus X belicoso's in my humi right now as well as 2 forbidden X chili peppers from 2010

My favorite. They've been hard to come by though. I only see them every couple months

punch%20rothschild12.jpg

You ever have the little champion sized ones of that cigar... I loved those for quick smokes.

ATL_ you have some great smokes and a great beer there as well in the two hearted. Ive got about half a dozen Opus X belicoso's in my humi right now as well as 2 forbidden X chili peppers from 2010

The chili pepper is an epic smoke. Had one in my 2012 charity box, I believe. With Opus, aging is key. Frankly, Opus is not a great cigar until they have about a year of age on them - after which nothing in the medium body category compares.

Settling into my afternoon with the stick. Ritz at Reynolds Plantation is very cool. About to enjoy this smoke and maybe take out a canoe.

image.jpg

.... pepper? Why does that sound really tasty...

Love cigars. Every man has to own a humidor. I only have one a month on average these days. It does taste like a cat shit in your mouth in the morning if you do not brush your tongue before bed...your girl will appreciate that too haahaa.

post-10287-1380998597_thumb.jpg

.... pepper? Why does that sound really tasty...

There is supposably only one roller who does the chilli peppers.

The forbidden X line (the black label) was rumored to be of an extra aged varriant, hence the extra money for one, however I think it has been determined that is not the case.

Either way Opus X forbiden or not are fantastic smokes.

gallery_10_1_43469.jpg

The Pepper is much smaller than one would expect from pictures - aside from the quarter there for scale. Big delicious flavor tho.

Rockys are my fav, love the 90's and I had a "Special Reserve" that was in a purple wrapper last weekend that was really nice. I grab a a few others at my local spot, usually CAO, Olivia, and recently I've gottten a couple Camacho's which were good, a little bold (just looked at their website it's super gay lol).

Any source for the chili pepper? Those sound nice!

What are your guys thoughts on different cuts on the end? I'm a huge fan of a punch over v or regular cut off.

I like a cut off torpedo or a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd like to try a nice cigar when the Jalpa gets here to celebrate. Suggestions? Ideas?

I think I'd like to try a nice cigar when the Jalpa gets here to celebrate. Suggestions? Ideas?

Find a reputable cigar shop and discuss some of the smokes that have already been brought up in this thread with a knowledgeable employee. Most mentioned have been top notch. Finding cigars that are well taken care of is key. Make sure you feel them and test for dryness. They should have some give when squeezed and not feel brittle. I've gotten far better advice from guys at shops than I ever received from friends that are once a week smokers like me. Everyone tends to think that what they have and like is great (this happens with many things other than cigars). The guys at the shops have smoked everything and can usually offer up some good suggestions. Just make sure they are sincere and not simply trying to pawn off end of the box stock to clear room. Good luck, you deserve the celebration!

Find a reputable cigar shop and discuss some of the smokes that have already been brought up in this thread with a knowledgeable employee. Most mentioned have been top notch. Finding cigars that are well taken care of is key. Make sure you feel them and test for dryness. They should have some give when squeezed and not fell brittle. I've gotten far better advice from guys at shops than I ever received from friends that are once a week smokers like me. Everyone tends to think that what they have and like is great (this happens with many things other than cigars). The guys at the shops have smoked everything and can usually offer up some good suggestions. Just make sure they are sincere and not simply trying to pawn off end of the box stock to clear room. Good luck, you deserve the celebration!

Great advise!

Find a reputable cigar shop and discuss some of the smokes that have already been brought up in this thread with a knowledgeable employee. Most mentioned have been top notch. Finding cigars that are well taken care of is key. Make sure you feel them and test for dryness. They should have some give when squeezed and not fell brittle. I've gotten far better advice from guys at shops than I ever received from friends that are once a week smokers like me. Everyone tends to think that what they have and like is great (this happens with many things other than cigars). The guys at the shops have smoked everything and can usually offer up some good suggestions. Just make sure they are sincere and not simply trying to pawn off end of the box stock to clear room. Good luck, you deserve the celebration!

Preeeeeeetty sure I'd be driving for hours to find a place like that. I mean the place I've been getting them has a nice selection, but the guy isn't knowledgeable. When I ask him questions it's more like, "I don't know I just sell them."

This is great advice though. Thank you!