Clarkson's view on the P1

capt_chaos

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they make a RHD one?? Anyone knows whom I should be speaking with ?

I would think so, after all they are English.

They said no, which is ridiculous considering what you just said.

English car company doesn't make cars which can be driven in their own country, makes sense.

English car company doesn't make cars which can be driven in their own country, makes sense.

You can drive left hand drive in England, it's just a pain in the ass.

these days, cars seem to be based on scarcity and demand, rather than the cars themselves. anything one off or limited is good.

if they made p1 as many as the mp4-12c, no one will like it.

mclaren screwed up marketing by making too many mp4-12c. i am sure p1 will be loved since there will be so few of them and even if they perform just like the Mp4-12c, that is good enough.

Wut? What is that supposed to mean? It's pretty clear it doesn't perform "just like the MP4-12C." The P1 is a heck of a car, no matter if you like the way it looks or not, no matter how much it costs, or how many are made. By merit alone, it's right up there with any other car

I hope to see the P1 in volcano black in person. It looks amazing in pics and videos. While I don't care about lap times and I am not a fan of the "mash the pedal, oversteer, and we'll make you look like Jensen Button" approach, I respect it.

I still can't imagine, unless the person is an F1 fan, how anyone could prefer a P1 over the Huayra.

I still can't imagine, unless the person is an F1 fan, how anyone could prefer a P1 over the Huayra.

I really don't get it either, one is still a production car where as the other is bespoke. Off the rack

I really don't get it either, one is still a production car where as the other is bespoke. Off the rack

Um, why is a Huayra any more bespoke than a P1? Yes, Pagani will paint it and give you any color trim you want, but that is hardly the definition of bespoke. The Huayra is just as off the rack as the P1. It's just as much a production car, with the only difference being they probably don't have the resources to turn out 300 of them over the course of a couple years.

A P4/5 variant is bespoke. A Huayra is not.

The Huayra probably isn't even remotely close performance wise either, hence why a lot of people would pick a P1 over the Huayra. As icing on the cake, it's not really that great looking either. Not even close to the wow factor of the Zonda and a lot of people are/were disappointed by it.

Um, why is a Huayra any more bespoke than a P1? Yes, Pagani will paint it and give you any color trim you want, but that is hardly the definition of bespoke. The Huayra is just as off the rack as the P1. It's just as much a production car, with the only difference being they probably don't have the resources to turn out 300 of them over the course of a couple years.

The Huayra probably isn't even remotely close performance wise either, hence why a lot of people would pick a P1 over the Huayra. As icing on the cake, it's not really that great looking either. Not even close to the wow factor of the Zonda and a lot of people are/were disappointed by it.

we were lucky enough to watch one of our members as he spec'd out his Zonda, its was totally bespoke.

I hope to see the P1 in volcano black in person. It looks amazing in pics and videos. While I don't care about lap times and I am not a fan of the "mash the pedal, oversteer, and we'll make you look like Jensen Button" approach, I respect it.

id be very happy with either ;)

Ok... So what spec options would you like that Pagani won't do?

Bueller. . . Bueller. . .

The 3.8 in the P1 is the same 3.8 that's in the mp4. It's "heavily revised" to produce 20% more power, which in a turbo setup is usually only a flash away to begin with. I like the way the P1 looks but sticking with the same power plant is disappointing, and makes the whole bespoke argument fairly lopsided. Saying the Huayra isn't close performance wise is daft. No one that's buying one of these cars decides by the stupid Nurburgring times unless they are as dumb as the people that think one car is better than the other simply because of a few seconds difference on the hardest track on earth.

I'm guessing that if you put the P1, ThethetheFerrari, 918, and Huayra on the Nurburgring and ran any distance of a race that was longer than 1 lap the Huayra would crush the others. Why? Because the other three would be cruising around with dead batteries. Yeah, that makes for a really fun track day. Pit every ten minutes and recharge so you aren't getting passed by cars that cost a tenth as much.

Based on the pictures I have seen, the P1 interior isn't much different than the MP4. As is the McLaren way, everything serves a specific purpose, there is no art or emotion to it. Everything Pagani does looks like art, even down to the switches to control the windows or the hazard flasher button. Yes it all serves a specific purpose like the McLaren does, but it does it with style that few aside from Bugatti can match. Just looking at pictures of Pagani interiors, it is hard to find 2 cars with more in common than 2 seats and a steering wheel.

we were lucky enough to watch one of our members as he spec'd out his Zonda, its was totally bespoke.

Exactly.

One of these is bespoke. The other is built for purpose..I know where id rather sit.

McLaren-P1-interior-1024x640.jpg

2012-pagani-huayra-interior-photo-383158-s-1280x782.jpg

ASSCELERATOR will find a way to argue this.