Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Alright so the machinist called me today. The carbs he was going to use for the dyno WILL NOT WORK. So I am now faced with hooking up and getting my EFI system ready way before I thought I needed to.

I'm facing a dilemma which is that I am having a hell of a time finding the right injectors. These ITBs use Bosch EV14 injectors. According to my calculations on the injectors I should be using 25-28lb injectors if I want to keep my duty cycle at 60-80% or 250-280cc. All I'm finding is 600cc injectors or 1000cc injectors or something ridiculous like that.

Does anyone know where I can find some normal EV14 injectors in this flow rate? I've found that apparently MX5 Miatas and Subaru STI cars use these injectors. The flow rates that I've found on them are more like 205cc injectors, not enough.

Anyone who has any sources for injectors at good rates and prices would be greatly appreciated. I have a friend who has an auto shop and repairs a LOT of subarus with parts to spare so I'm bringing one of the ITBs tomorrow with me to see if we can find a flow rate and injector that will fit.

Worked on the intake runners last night and tonight to clean them up and patch up the weird corrosion issues they had. Nice and smooth now.

Air boxes cleaned up really really well, everything did. I haven't posted up any pics yet but will get to it when I get a chance.

I'm waiting on 8 o-rings which I apparently missed for the sleeves. There are actually 2 grooves for the sleeves, but the factory manual calls for only 1 o-ring per sleeve. I'm terribly confused by this. The logical side of me says, "Why the hell would you make 2 grooves and call for 1 o-ring, and why would you leave 1 failure point on an o-ring if it fails." I'm half tempted to order another set and tell my machinist to put both sets in, should 1 ever fail. The other part of me wonders if there is a legitimate reason for it (barrier between oil and coolant, no air pocket, etc).

There was only 1 o-ring stock when I took it apart, and I can't help but feel there must be a reason. Still, confused on it.

Interior is stripped and ready to be sealed up but with me having to order everything for the ignition system and the fuel system, my concentration needs to be to get the engine ready for dyno day and tuning for the engine dyno. The good news is that he can put the motor under load so I can actually get a baseline tune while I'm there, so once the engine goes in, I'm good there.

I have ALL of the parts to rebuild the airboxes. I'm not sure though if I want to paint the inside or leave them bare since they're aluminum. They're super clean, and I may just leave them that way, though part of me says "sealing that up would be a good thing". Will definitely paint the outside. I might just drop them off and get them powdercoated.

Ordered some bits to rebuild the distributor. Idea is, for now, to drive the ignition off of an MSD6AL and will run Fuel ONLY for dyno day. Once that's done will end up moving over to coil on plug setup for the car since it would be far more efficient on MS3.

If anyone has any feedback on injectors you'd be forever my hero.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Message me about injectors.

Have you thought about thermally coating the air boxes to battle heat soak? Doing both sides would be best, but you could get away with only the outside being coated.

Nice job, I'm afraid after 3 years I would never remember where everything goes!

Nice job, I'm afraid after 3 years I would never remember where everything goes!

I'm very good at labeling everything as I put it away and put it into bags and boxes. I'm rather meticulous when it comes to that. Unless I'm mid project in something, but once I'm done I make sure to label it and put it away. Otherwise I'd end up looking at parts diagrams all day lol!

Ok, update. I've tried 3 sets of EV14 injectors and thus far the only ones I can find are the EXTENDED, not standard length. Thankfully a friend of mine who owns a shop works on Subarus, and after a bit of research I've found that the Subaru STI injectors are somewhere in the 400-500cc range. It's overkill for my build, BUT, it's better to be on the low side of duty cycle than on the high side at risk of burning them now.

The problem is, the o-rings that come on them are not made to fit my ITBs and the diameter is wrong. The good news is that thanks to a local fluid connector place, I've found out what style of o-ring I need, and sadly they didn't have them, but found some online in viton and went ever so slightly UNDER on ID and slightly OVER for OD. We should be in business.

It's a case now of waiting for them, testing the fitment and seeing if I need to space.

The beautiful thing about the denso injectors is that unlike the EV hats that I saw which are fairly far back into the ITB bore, the Denso hat pokes out a bit more into the ITB which will make atomization better and less likelihood of any wall buildup or any odd stuff like that.

I'm quite excited.

Test fit of ITBs minus injector o-rings, but with the injectors lined up and rail installed.

14731351_10153807960446744_6507717388521455311_n.jpg

14713566_10153807960531744_7644602794401953828_n.jpg

14690957_10153807960401744_8056474162117259433_n.jpg

Kerplop.......you are a GOD!!!!!!

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'm just a car guy who has a lot of time and patience lol. But thank you for the kind compliment.

Alright, o-rings arrived, got them in viton. Everything fits like a damn glove.

Here's the injector with the old seal on it, sitting next to the new seal.

14702320_10153813071726744_2569640005862674683_n.jpg

New seal vs old seal

14657515_10153813071786744_2992717668689920370_n.jpg

Injectors fully sitting in the rail with new o-ring. Perfect fit.

14725735_10153813071836744_7506667529295592589_n.jpg

Seats are happy

14729194_10153813071951744_1521888552569209039_n.jpg

Perfect.

14732215_10153813071696744_5119565882628637037_n.jpg

And.... done.

14572192_10153813152246744_5252957906617238953_n.jpg

Air compressor test is good, no leaking. I'm confident I'll have no issues with it once fuel is involved.

Awesome!!

Connectors arrive monday, and then the big wiring project starts to hook everything up to the engine for the fuel system.

Alright, so I've figured out how I want to do the fuel system routing. Here's a quick diagram from mspaint because i'm feeling lazy today. Also on order: MS6 6AL and coil.

I think it's going to be easier to go: -10AN from tank to pump (pump inlet is -10AN), -8AN outlet to Filter, Filter -8AN outlet to Y block, y block to rail set, rail set to a 3 way bypass regulator, 1 for each side. Then regulate the pressure there, and move the return back to tank 1.

setup.png

It's amazing how much you know about the stuff, self taught or is this what you do for work?

No. My day job is tech work for a large data center. I taught myself cars.

No. My day job is tech work for a large data center. I taught myself cars.

People like you blow my mind, I have a lot of respect for your abilities!

I can not help it feel that this process, for you, it is equally or dare I say even more enjoyable than driving the actual car. I think you will be remorseful when this is done :icon_mrgreen:

People like you blow my mind, I have a lot of respect for your abilities!

I can not help it feel that this process, for you, it is equally or dare I say even more enjoyable than driving the actual car. I think you will be remorseful when this is done :icon_mrgreen:

You aren't completely incorrect, though I've wanted a Jalpa so long that once it's done it's going to be surreal and feel so amazing to have my own lambo that I've restored on my own. I want an espada badly, so I think the next toy that I'll set money aside for will be an old vintage v12 car.

Kerplo.....follow your dream and go into the car modding scene and make some real money!!!

DO IT NOW!!!!

I am deeply humbled when people reply with things like this. My sincere interest is exotic cars, and I have zero desire to get into the "regular car" modding scene. On the other hand, I can't imagine other people would want to modify their countach or Jalpa away from Original to have someone build an engine in this manner. It's going to perform far better than stock, but I feel like people are too nitpicky about original OEM parts.

Perhaps I'll reconsider after my car is finished, but first thing is first, the car must be finished :)

Who got shiny new car parts tonight? This guy. Who is going as a social recluse that smokes cigars, and stays at home working on his lambo for halloween? This guy.

14731302_10153823107986744_7678724627329892860_n.jpg

Injector bay 1 complete. Injector bay 2 tomorrow.

20161101_002404.jpg

Denso connectors for top mount injectors. They fit like a damn glove.

20161101_002654.jpg

20161101_002701.jpg

Starting to look yummy.

20161101_002724.jpg

They fit in there so well they almost look like they belong. The best part is that they move right past the upper wall of the air boxes and hide the harness very well. Looks sleek.

20161101_002931.jpg

Will need to get a proper grommet in there to seal it nice and tightly, or perhaps a wire connector plug which would be ultra slick.

20161101_002954.jpg

This car will be better than when it rolled out of the gates of Sant' A g a t a.

BTW why is the forum screwing up Sant'####?

This car will be better than when it rolled out of the gates of Sant' A g a t a.

BTW why is the forum screwing up Sant'####?

The forums have been fucky all day.

The forums have been fucky all day.

You are right the forum isn't working all the time, sometimes it's off line for quite a long time, I guess it's a bonus, we can get more work done LOL

Things that have arrived:

- High performance fuel pump (good for 600hp, totally don't need that much)

- AN fittings

- Fuel regulator

- Gauge for fuel reg

- Ignition box

- Ignition coil

- Fitting for fuel tank

- Pigtail harness connectors (weatherproof) for injectors and other harness bits

- Wideband for EFI

- CLT/IAT sensors

- Flat media carbon fiber to assemble the ignition system to so I can neatly tuck it into the bay somewhere within reach.

On the way:

- Misc fuse boxes so I can properly protect things like injectors and sensors and also get away from the crappy bullet fuses

- Relays, relay pigtail harnesses and mounts

- More high heat sheathing for my electrical. Decided I would test it to see if it'd light on fire. Used a torch, it heated up to bright red but never caught on fire. I'd say that's a win for safety. I can sleep at night knowing direct flames will never touch parts of the fuel system from electrical.

- Boxes of fuses

- More spade male/female connectors for electrical.

Whew. Shit is getting real, real fast.

My favourite active thread.

Just curious how much longer do you think you have before you have a running car?

My plan, so long as the engine is done soon, is to have it running this winter. I still need to sort other things out like the brakes and what not, but first start this winter, at least at this rate, doesn't seem undoable.

Though tonight a lady backed into my Porsche 931, so that sucks ass and I'm not in a great mood. But... she's cooperative and I don't think I'll have to pay for it, so ... whatever. I'm mad as hell, but i'm dedicating tomorrow to more wiring and lambo stuff.

14632904_10153833575956744_6678856642493553924_n.jpg

14915236_10153833576056744_696830591733882843_n.jpg

14915719_10153833575981744_1709606259755100216_n.jpg

14963306_10153833576006744_444395864566582679_n.jpg