Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

when you start this car up for the first time it has to be done live on the internet!

I can do that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, ITBs are FINISHED. Harnesses not all in this photo since it was easier to work without the risk of snagging one of the injector harnesses. Linkage done, snaprings in place, heim joints adjusted and lubricated. Working like a fcuking champ. These things are ready to slap on the Jalpa. I just need to route the fuel lines once the engine is done and we're set. The hardest part was getting the notches right to slide the heim joints back and forth a bit to tighten down for the right amount of slack, and getting new snapring grooves cut so that the rod couldn't move back and forth. No slop on the linkage.

Need to actually tighten it all down and do final adjustments once on the car but that's neither here nor there. They're ready to go on the car, finally. Going to pull off the linkage pieces and repaint once adjusted.

15356579_10153932952521744_3071854173150906773_n.jpg

15384536_10153932953271744_8880291739873180533_o.jpg

15403806_10153932953111744_4759878892141905683_o.jpg

He finished the crankshaft balancing just before i came over tonight to drop off a few bits. Rods balanced, pistons balanced, all the little shit is all balanced and now it's dynamically balanced. He's coming over to my place thursday to pick up a bit of an advance, and also trace the transmission so we can get the last bit of the dyno plate made and we will be ready soooooon. SO CLOSE.

https://www.facebook.com/derek.mccallister/...53935704996744/

Note: This only really demonstrates the static weight, not the dynamic weight. He put it on the pulley system and got everything enabled for it to show me, but I figured I'd at least take some vid of the static balance since I had like 3% battery left. Needless to say I am shocked. He said the end result was a change of -17 and -19 grams. He said the factory balance wasn't all that great, but this motor is gonna hummmmmmmm.

this car is gonna be fantastic.

I cant wait to see it done!

• 1 month later...

Well guys, sorry for no updates for a while. Had pneumonia, was out for a while, a lot of personal shit going on, dealing with a depression cycle to boot. I'm bouncing back full force and feel great. So it's time to update.

- Fuel system is damn near finished. I'm taking next week off to finish wiring up the rest.

- Engine skid for dyno is finished, minus debur and paint. Pic below.

- Newish/used starter works like a dream.

- A lot of the assembly is complete on motor, hopefully will be done asap. Not rushing my machinist though, he's had a lot of shit he's had to deal with, and I totally know that feeling. So I'm being patient.

- I've sourced a new alternator which will reuse the old pulley, brand spanking new.

- Still working on my wiring diagram for my car as I go along, so the actual harness is taking a little longer than usual but I like to have things well mapped out.

ADEwLdb.jpg

Sounds very positive. All the effort and patience now will pay off later!

Thanks, I'm trying to stay positive. Difficult right now as I'd rather recede into an anti-social hole of nothing and hide away from everyone. But I'm trying to keep on keeping on. Things will clear up. This build always puts me in a happy place when I can work on it.

Stay strong and most importantly stay POSITIVE don't worry about anything and anyone else worry about yourself only!

Currently what I am attempting to do with a week off from work. It's lambo time!

This build is amazing for us to watch so you should be proud of bringing this old girl back to life!!!! Keep at it :)

Feel better Derek! Enjoy this week for yourself and no one else. (maybe your Lambo ;) )

Threads like this are why I love to be on LPower. Nothing but words of encouragement and good vibes from fellow members. :icon_thumleft:

I would love to drive mine out there for the initial start up. I Thought it might be fun to have the two there for the maiden voyage and to do some comparisons. Not sure if it will work out, but one way or the other, after you get yours on the road, I would love to meet somewhere and compare the two. Mine is not exactly stock, but I am curious to see how your injection system and changes compare to a carburetor fed car.

I would love to drive mine out there for the initial start up. I Thought it might be fun to have the two there for the maiden voyage and to do some comparisons. Not sure if it will work out, but one way or the other, after you get yours on the road, I would love to meet somewhere and compare the two. Mine is not exactly stock, but I am curious to see how your injection system and changes compare to a carburetor fed car.

If you do that I'll have to buy my machinist some depends so he doesn't crap himself. I'm sure he'd love that. I think it'd also be a blast to get together and go for a Jalpa drive with our cars and go for a road trip or something. Would be good fun!

Would any Jalpa owners happen to have the length between the airboxes, from the far edge of one to the far edge of the other (where the linkage comes in?) Or just the length from the first linkage rod to the 2nd on the airboxes?

Disregard, got in contact with Ohlgren. He is my hero for the day.

I don't want you to finish this car, it will mean the end of this thread :crybaby2:

Nah, no way man. Something like this will only continue to be improved and worked on.