Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Ready to throw the air boxes together in the morning. All the linkage bits are painted the way I want them, masked off anything for the bearing races. Bearings are ready to be put inside and it's all ready to be buttoned up as far as the air boxes go. I still need to find a wrinkle finish paint for them since that's what was used previously, but having never used that stuff before I'm not sure what a GOOD quality wrinkle finish paint would be.

If anyone has suggestions on wrinkle finish brands you dig, i'm all ears.

Here's some before and after.

uDAz0UG.jpg

0IBsy3O.jpg

LU2IM2Z.jpg

DhFwmhn.jpg

The paint itself has dried properly but because the stuff is so thin it appears to take to the texture of the old metal pretty well lol. Still looks great, but you can see the texture of the metal beneath.

nP0ct37.jpg

VJt48jP.jpg

Also finished the wiring on the other ITB side. Though I think I'm about to have a slight dilemma. So the ITBs are made to be a drop in over the DCNF webers. But, near as I can tell, the rail being as big as it is, barely fits in the airbox. It would be physically impossible for it to fit the other way around. Yet looking at the bleed screws on them, it appears they would expect me to.

So this means my butterflies open the opposite way. Though I'm wondering if I can adjust the linkage outside the airbox to turn the rods the other way to get around this, I see no reason I can't. I may even be able to flip the linkage on the ITBs around too. I'll figure it out I guess.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting the stock linkage to work with these has been... interesting. To say the least..

So I'm going to have to modify them slightly, not much. But the idle set screw is slightly different for the stock linkage and sits back every so slightly. I'll have to modify the actual linkage to fix this. On top of this I had to grind out just a hair so the tension spring would wind to it. Took me 3-4 different tries to get the right amount. The first wasn't enough and caused binding (I don't want that, ever), and now it's smooth as butter.

unnamed__4_.jpg

unnamed__5_.jpg

unnamed__6_.jpg

That sucks about your Porsche, hopefully it gets handled easily for you.

Have you thought about thermally coating the intake boxes? The coating won't have as much of a crinkle finish, but would help keep IAT down.

That sucks about your Porsche, hopefully it gets handled easily for you.

Have you thought about thermally coating the intake boxes? The coating won't have as much of a crinkle finish, but would help keep IAT down.

I've considered it. I haven't been able to get all of the old paint off of them, even with media blasting lol. That shit is really on there.

I'm about ready to throttle the claims department, and the whole insurance thing has become a large mess. So to ease my nerves, some retail therapy for the fuel system.

14925491_10153840894381744_1821703465412729860_n.jpg

Ralcubu.jpg

I bought crinkle paint at my local car part store (Baxter Auto Parts). It was easy to find and I think it was for engine use. My boxes were in rough shape and I didn't bother to strip the boxes before I touched them up. My crinkle is a little uneven and if you look close, you can see a very slight gloss difference between new and old. You saw my engine, and I bet you did not notice. I was told that my inconsistent crinkle is easily solved by using a heat gun as it dries to dry the paint evenly. The paint goes on smooth and crinkles as it dries. The top surface layer dries at a different rate than the under layer, creating a crinkle effect. You can control that with a little heat. You might want to try a little practice piece before you do the boxes. (Based on my experience, squirting it on and watching it dry might give inconsistent results....)

Message me if you want more info.

I bought crinkle paint at my local car part store (Baxter Auto Parts). It was easy to find and I think it was for engine use. My boxes were in rough shape and I didn't bother to strip the boxes before I touched them up. My crinkle is a little uneven and if you look close, you can see a very slight gloss difference between new and old. You saw my engine, and I bet you did not notice. I was told that my inconsistent crinkle is easily solved by using a heat gun as it dries to dry the paint evenly. The paint goes on smooth and crinkles as it dries. The top surface layer dries at a different rate than the under layer, creating a crinkle effect. You can control that with a little heat. You might want to try a little practice piece before you do the boxes. (Based on my experience, squirting it on and watching it dry might give inconsistent results....)

Message me if you want more info.

Actually I do have a question for you regarding linkage. I'll drop you a pm.

Innovate LC2 arrived. IAT and CLT sensors should be here soon. Stuff is coming together!

14993304_10153843866946744_7269491561484979164_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IAT/CLT sensors arrive. All fuel fittings here.

I've entered a dilemma which is about to be resolved. The air boxes are NOT going to work for this project without tearing them to shit and rewelding them. I'm unwilling to do that. So... instead, I'm going to make my own airboxes out of CF or fiberglass. ON top of this, I'll be creating mounting "plates" out of carbon fiber and heim joints. I've got the carbon being made and cut to length now. Picking it up tomorrow morning on my way to work.

For now, this means my ITBs will be in the open till i come up with an airbox idea, which I have a few different ideas on.

I need to see the carbon bits :headbang:

This thread needs a title change "Making Jalpa Great(er) Again" :eusa_dance:

I pick up the pieces tomorrow. Will post once I receive them.

Carbon is here and freshly made for me, beautiful finish. I peeled back one of them to look but need to keep the plastic while I drill, cut, etc. Heim joints should be here today or tomorrow, AND the new head gaskets from cometic have arrived. Ahhhhh so sweet.

15056395_10153869729961744_4782910619702145200_n.jpg

The only issue is the CF was cut 1/2" shorter than I wanted, but it'll still work and this stuff is so thick and strong, I'm not concerned with any issues of it cracking under pressure. I can't even bend the stuff putting my weight on it. Pretty incredible stuff. As you can see, it'll be close, but with the holes drilled properly it'll be fine.

20161121_002820r.jpg

20161121_002844r.jpg

20161121_002849r.jpg

20161121_002852r.jpg

Tada!!!! Need to clean up the carbon fiber since it's ultra rough, BUT, this is promising.

15094512_10153877027146744_5330511006778589625_n.jpg

15178311_10153877045421744_2489858120601183723_n.jpg

15181230_10153877045376744_1110737302288971651_n.jpg

15181415_10153877027186744_8172264507550513977_n.jpg

Magnificent!

I'm glad you dig it man. I can't wait to fabricate up some plenums and redo the intake. A lot more flow and air awaits.

:headbang:

Some guy on a fb group told me I'm doing it wrong and that the carbon fiber should go on the top. I had to explain to the guy that the entire purpose of the CF plate is to emulate the linkage that was in the airbox... because that's how they were designed... and that I'm putting plenums on the top of the ITBs after it, so basically airboxes on the top of the ITBs. The dude basically tried to tell me that I don't know how ITBs work :lol2: you gotta love internet armchair mechanics.

Machinist nearly done balancing motor today. Makes me happy.

YDSZWzH.jpg

sZDl2q9.jpg

Looking forward to you getting the engine back together and seeing what you can do. Are you planning on keeping it for awhile or was this a fix and flip to something higher up the food chain?

Btw, great chatting with you earlier

You better not try and flip it, if you do then there will be a bidding war between Roy, VCR, Fortis and I lol

Looking forward to you getting the engine back together and seeing what you can do. Are you planning on keeping it for awhile or was this a fix and flip to something higher up the food chain?

Btw, great chatting with you earlier

I plan on keeping this car. The only way there would be an exception would be if I had a chance to buy something like a Series 1 Espada. Aside from that, I've wanted a Jalpa for YEARS. I plan on enjoying the hell out of it. It was great chatting with you as well! Nice to get in touch with other LP members. I love this forum.

You better not try and flip it, if you do then there will be a bidding war between Roy, VCR, Fortis and I lol

LOL! I'm glad you all appreciate the work I'm doing to the car. I can't believe how close I'm getting, and it feels unreal to me every day I make progress. I'm most excited about making an ITB, fuel injected Jalpa. Every Jalpa I've seen videos of seems to be that they all are fussy with the DCNF webers. There's good gains to be made to free up the flow and make things better, and get it on modern day EFI.

More progress tonight.

15202752_10153879572566744_1666214692834775450_n.jpg

15202643_10153879572616744_112646751942906130_n.jpg

15178276_10153879572586744_1212808065262276804_n.jpg