Question for the IT guys

Roman

OK... Have my internet up and rolling at the new place.... And I decided I want a laptop in my garage (shit.... I still need to post pictures of this beast.... 4000 square feet of awesome!)... Well the garage is about 50 yeards from the house where my wireless routers are. I can get a signal, and connect, but its like 2 bars and SLOOOOOOW.

OK... What do I plug into the laptop to improve that? An antenna? Are there good ones?

How about this... What if I wanted a Router out there too.... That would give me a good antenna (to wirelessly connect to the modems or router in the house) AND I could plug OTHER things into.... Are there such things?

OK... Have my internet up and rolling at the new place.... And I decided I want a laptop in my garage (shit.... I still need to post pictures of this beast.... 4000 square feet of awesome!)... Well the garage is about 50 yeards from the house where my wireless routers are. I can get a signal, and connect, but its like 2 bars and SLOOOOOOW.

OK... What do I plug into the laptop to improve that? An antenna? Are there good ones?

How about this... What if I wanted a Router out there too.... That would give me a good antenna (to wirelessly connect to the modems or router in the house) AND I could plug OTHER things into.... Are there such things?

We had the same problem when we built our guest house/office. Too far from the main house. Verizon at no charge would install a separate router that provided internet and fios tv and a VOIP, all we had to do was have a channel dug and bury a pipe to their spec with access points along the way and they would pull the cable through and do the setup at no charge. They had to run the cable(s)? from the street to the guest house, probably 600 feet. They even did the cabling inside the guest house for no charge while the studs were up before the drywall was installed. It was surprising.

We had the same problem when we built our guest house/office. Too far from the main house. Verizon at no charge would install a separate router that provided internet and fios tv and a VOIP, all we had to do was have a channel dug and bury a pipe to their spec with access points along the way and they would pull the cable through and do the setup at no charge. They had to run the cable(s)? from the street to the guest house, probably 600 feet. They even did the cabling inside the guest house for no charge while the studs were up before the drywall was installed. It was surprising.

Thats not an option out here.

1) run a network cable out there and install another wifi point

2) if the two buildings are on the same power, you can run network over the power, then install a wifi point in the garage

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

3) get a high powered antennas (Yagi) and extend your wifi base stations

4) buy commercial grade wifi base stations, they are more powerful....

5) buy a LTE hotspot and put it in the garage

You could do a wireless bridge, but you cut your speed in half when you do that. I quoted a customer awhile back this option with refurbished Bridges something like 2k. Maybe thats an option. Also if you do the right Wireless N setup you can get 300ft or so, some even more. Of course range depends on lots of things.

You can buy wifi extenders. I have tried that before and it worked pretty good but they can be gltichy. I have tried all of the options above. Some are headache free and some are not. Some will slow down the connection too.

I would honestly just run a cat5 cable to the garage. Then you have options in there, you can hard wire or put a wireless router in the garage.

Another option is you could get a stronger wireless router in the house. They make some now that are pretty strong but I haven't tested any of the new ones the last year or two.

The best option as duhawks mentioned is to run a network cable to the garage. I've tried the network through power lines thing before and it doesn't work very good, or at least didn't in my house.

You can also get a wifi repeater, but you will lose some speed with those [alhough it will probably still be an improvement from what you have now].

The best option as duhawks mentioned is to run a network cable to the garage. I've tried the network through power lines thing before and it doesn't work very good, or at least didn't in my house.

You can also get a wifi repeater, but you will lose some speed with those [alhough it will probably still be an improvement from what you have now].

:iamwithstupid: Nothing beats hard-wiring. Either plug your laptop directly into it or use it to setup another router.

Something like this will do you fine: Cat 5e Cable

You can buy wifi extenders. I have tried that before and it worked pretty good but they can be gltichy. I have tried all of the options above. Some are headache free and some are not. Some will slow down the connection too.

I would honestly just run a cat5 cable to the garage. Then you have options in there, you can hard wire or put a wireless router in the garage.

Another option is you could get a stronger wireless router in the house. They make some now that are pretty strong but I haven't tested any of the new ones the last year or two.

:iamwithstupid:

(Only use CAT5E or CAT6)

Gotta chime in and agree with running a cat6 cable from the house to the garage.

You can get outdoor rated cat6 cable and run in either underground in a trench, or overhead on a poll.

Hardwired network is FAR more reliable. with a wire, if the internet cuts out there's far fewer potential issues troubleshoot.

run a cable to every computer that you can. only use wifi if you have to, and for portable devices like ipads and laptops.

You will have far fewer headaches with a wired network.

as an IT pro, I HATE wireless internet. It's a constant source of hassle for me. I'd much rather not having it at all.

as an IT pro, I HATE wireless internet. It's a constant source of hassle for me. I'd much rather not having it at all.

:iamwithstupid: I completely agree. Wifi is just radio waves and it's easy for them to get scrambled up or for mishaps to happen along the way.

I know it is not relevant to Roman but I hate wireless networks too, constantly throwing DB problems.

500 yards though, if you cable it you will need at least 5 signal repeaters. Throw a few beers at a local telephone engineer and see what he has to say.

I thought about it some more. Do you really want internet out there? It's 50 yards from the house. If one of your slaves escapes from the garage cells, they'd be all over that laptop, fcuking up your facebook page, leaving god knows what in your internet cache out there. And it'd be forever before you ran out of the house, fired up your ATV and road all the way out there to lock them back up. And if you have Amazon one-click enabled then forget about it, do you know how much shit they could buy in that amount of time?

Remember... This is just for a shitty laptop in the garage... Mostly so I can google how to fix stuff while Im breaking it... Id really just like something I can plug into the laptop that will grab the signal better than the shitty antenna on the internal card does....

running cable would mean tearing up asphalt.

maximum length of a cat6 cable before needing a repeater is 55meters (60 yards) so the distance is just on the edge for a single run, as long as the equipment is close to the adjacent walls.

It's probably slightly to far to make it work without one though.

you could look at getting yourself a short range point of view system. Basically 2 satelite dishes pointed at each other pass the traffic wirelessly between each other.

I have no idea what that kind of setup would cost though. Normally those are for ISPs servicing rural communities.

maximum length of a cat6 cable before needing a repeater is 55meters (60 yards)

That length is the limit for 10gb ethernet, which certainly isn't in his laptop. Cat6 is good for 100m with any slower ethernet connection.

If it were me, I'd try to run a wire. If you can't do that, I'd try a Ubiquiti Unifi outdoor wireless access point and get it as close as possible to the garage. They claim the range is 600 feet, but I'm sure that's line of sight and you'd lose some by going through walls. Here's the link: http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#apoutplus

Is there a reason you don't just tether your cell? Do you get LTE out there?

I'd like to hook it to my home network to have access to the docs there.

That length is the limit for 10gb ethernet, which certainly isn't in his laptop. Cat6 is good for 100m with any slower ethernet connection.

If it were me, I'd try to run a wire. If you can't do that, I'd try a Ubiquiti Unifi outdoor wireless access point and get it as close as possible to the garage. They claim the range is 600 feet, but I'm sure that's line of sight and you'd lose some by going through walls. Here's the link: http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#apoutplus

Ubiquiti is junk. Extremely inconsistent.

3) get a high powered antennas (Yagi) and extend your wifi base stations

Romandad calling lambopower, come in lambopower.... Went with the YAGI... In the garage right now... YAY!