Buyer beware: 550-2 Spyder at DC Motors w/ paint work done

webster132

I was looking at buying this 550-2 Spyder from DC Motors: http://dcmotorcars.com/index.php/vehicle?vid=1-2l1363735033

So I sent my car guy (the always awesome Scott from AutoConcierge, http://www.autoconcierge.co) to check it out with his mechanic. Turns out the current owner (it's on consignment) backed the car into a planter and the rear bumper, etc was cracked.

The rear has been repainted, but they didn't blend with the deck lid or any other adjoining parts, so the paint is not a perfect match. Also, the front bumper has had a repaint.

All this was done as a cash deal, so no note on the insurance or car fax. The dealership did not disclose this damage either.

Anyway, this might still be a good buy if the price reflected the work done, but currently it does not IMO. So I choose to walk away. Just thought anyone else here who might be looking at it deserved to have all the facts.

photo.JPG

that's a lot of damage for a parking lot bump. nice work for exposing this. the picture of the fixed car doesn't show the color variation that much. this is why a good PPI and personal inspection is a good idea.

that's a lot of damage for a parking lot bump. nice work for exposing this. the picture of the fixed car doesn't show the color variation that much. this is why a good PPI and personal inspection is a good idea.

Yeah, car looked really clean from the pictures. But once they got it out in the light, you could tell the difference. These three-stage colors are amazing, but they're so damn hard to fix up. You have to do a really extensive blend job to make it right. Apparently this guy already spent $8K fixing just what's in the picture, so no wonder he didn't have appetite for a big blend job. But that's what it takes to make it 100% right.

Utter horseshit that they wouldn't disclose that - especially that degree of damage and shabby fix - to anyone prior to making a trip to see it.

Good on you for possibly saving another member the same hassle.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bumper respray. It's the blending of the metal panels that makes me worry about structural damage. Hell, even cars from the factory don't always have a perfect bumper paint match due to the bumpers being made of plastic vs metal and other factors.

Anyone know of a trustworthy PPI tech in Philadelphia? Found a sister car to this one that I would like to get checked out.

arena motors (steve arena) is in Jersey but he is the best when it comes to lambos, he has done house calls for customers for me before too. I would reach out to him.

http://www.arena-motors.com/

877-310-6670

Utter horseshit that they wouldn't disclose that - especially that degree of damage and shabby fix - to anyone prior to making a trip to see it.

Good on you for possibly saving another member the same hassle.

To be fair, if the car came to the dealer on consignment "repaired" a salesman may not be able to detect the variance in a flurry to get the car ready for sale.

If they did know and didn't disclose, that's another story.

Anyone know of a trustworthy PPI tech in Philadelphia? Found a sister car to this one that I would like to get checked out.

See if Wil from Exotic cars USA will take the drive to check it out for you. He's got solid reputation in the area...

http://exoticars-usa.com/

I agree.

He's no longer around, closed up shop and moved to CA.

Steve is over at Avenue A car club in Newark, NJ with Signature Car Collection, his shop and the car club all in one gorgeous building.

Steve is over at Avenue A car club in Newark, NJ with Signature Car Collection, his shop and the car club all in one gorgeous building.

I didn't think he would pack up that massive facility/collection and leave haha

Where is it? I would suggest Philly McLaren - good techs there with a very good body shop attached. A few other members here have purchased from them. You can call and ask for Chad at the dealership.

Depending on if and when it happens, I'd be glad to lay an eye on it for a visual also. Just let me know.

send the pics and damage history to the dealership and tell them they need to be disclosing it. get the vin. a true hero would, when the car sells, look up the buyer and ask if the dealer disclosed the damage. send ev to new buyer, let him sue dealer. bask in righteousness.

Glad you caught that, such a shame that dealers try to hide things. I am sure they get away with it more often than they get caught.

On a side note, its awesome you are looking to pick up a 550 spyder, I love mine. It is a lot of fun to drive!

The salesman I talked to apparently didn't know about the damage, but another salesman at the shop DID know. That's who we got the picture from! So the dealership knew, but weren't keen to share the information except when pressed by a nosy PPI.

PCJR, the other car I'm looking at is from McLaren Philly, so would need another party to review it :). I'll try Corsa Motor if I move forward with that one.

VBUGKING, yeah, I keep wanting to try something else than the Gallardo in its class, but Lambo got it so right that it's hard to find! Even today, even for even money, I'd take a 560/550 spyder over a MP4 or 458 or Turbo Cab. That's astonishing for a car that old! Add on top of it that it's NOT even money, or close, and it seems like a bargain ;)

The salesman I talked to apparently didn't know about the damage, but another salesman at the shop DID know. That's who we got the picture from! So the dealership knew, but weren't keen to share the information except when pressed by a nosy PPI.

PCJR, the other car I'm looking at is from McLaren Philly, so would need another party to review it :). I'll try Corsa Motor if I move forward with that one.

VBUGKING, yeah, I keep wanting to try something else than the Gallardo in its class, but Lambo got it so right that it's hard to find! Even today, even for even money, I'd take a 560/550 spyder over a MP4 or 458 or Turbo Cab. That's astonishing for a car that old! Add on top of it that it's NOT even money, or close, and it seems like a bargain ;)

Is it the orange 560 Spyder?

I'm gong to be less than ten minutes from there today ifyou want me to look at it closer. I was there taking to Chad about an audio/video upgrade for their showroom a couple of weeks ago. When I was leaving I went over and gave it a quick glance.

Is it the orange 560 Spyder?

I'm gong to be less than ten minutes from there today ifyou want me to look at it closer. I was there taking to Chad about an audio/video upgrade for their showroom a couple of weeks ago. When I was leaving I went over and gave it a quick glance.

That's the one! It's a 550-2, but yeah, please do take a quick look. Just in case there's something obvious wrong that would warrant not even getting a PPI.

But after catching this hard-to-catch repaint issue with the DC Motors car, I definitely still want someone to poke around real good for traces of paint work!

Thanks man.